• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wing-barred Phyllosc from Thailand - May (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

I've been sent a number of photos of mystery Phyllosc by a friend. I've not cleared publishing them with him - so for now this is an intellectual exercise.

In the field it looked to be an Arctic type in moult. It was relatively sluggish, large looking and silent. Looking at the photos however its far from easy.

-it appears very large-billed - and there is quite a hook to the tip of the upper mandible
-the lower mandible is all orange - the upper is all dark
-the crown is rather grey and contrasts with a more olive mantle
-the legs are rather dark grey
-there is no crown stripe
-the supercilium is rather Arctic Warbler-like in length, but is is wide before the eye and bridges.
-the ear coverts are mottled
-it appears to have one wing bar only (though moult makes this hard to judge)
-there is a very strong emargination on the 6th primary
-the 1st primary is very long - its past the primary coverts by at least the -length of the primary coverts

Unless I'm missing something obvious, the wing structure more or less narrows the field to Greenish types - but can eg obsuratus show a contrasty grey crown and a honking great bill,

or

Lage-billed Leaf Warbler, but can it have an entirely pale lower mandible, aside from not being recorded in Thailand?

or

Are there examples of Pale-legged/Sakhalin with dark legs and longer than usual 1st primary?

Oh and May = February!

Last edited:
Jane,

Wouldn't even to attempt an ID without images and location, but it certainly points to one of the 'Greenish' complex wth a combination of long p1 and emarginated 6, though I am not sure about the 'honking great bill'. You say the bird is in active moult, so could feather loss be a factor?

In answer to your question, PLLW/SLLW's always have strikingly pale legs and feet and typically a variable amount of dark distally on the lower mandible.

Grahame

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back