• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winner Announced; Next Drawing June 10th: Win a Pair of PRIME HD binoculars (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd concede the tomatoes and chillies ... until the greenhouse collapsed everything else I try to grow spans the disappointing to abject failure spectrum. A lot of tedious work for zilch return. :-( David

Permant planting, David. If rhubarb doesn't appeal try asparagus, it takes a while but is perennially reliable !

Enjoy the Summer !

Monday, May 19th AZ triva ...

4. Arizona's disparate climate can yield both the highest temperature across the nation and the lowest temperature across the nation in the same day.

Not the same day, but here are the state records:
- High: 128 degrees F (53.3 C), June 29, 1994 - Lake Havasu, Arizona
- Low: -40 degrees F (-40 C), January 7th, 1971 - Hawley Lake, Arizona
- Swing: 168 degrees F

Nationally
- High: 134 degrees F (56.7 C), July 10th, 1913 - Death Vallley, California
- Low: -70 degrees F (-56.7 C), January 20, 1954 - Rogers Pass, Montana (Contiguous states)
- Low: -80 degrees F (-62.2 C), January 23, 1971 - Prospect Peak, Alaska

The Death Valley high is also the World Record High:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/29/science/earth/death-valley-temperature-record-is-restored.html

Permant planting, David. If rhubarb doesn't appeal try asparagus, it takes a while but is perennially reliable !

Enjoy the Summer !

I have apple, pear, cherry and plum trees and last year was my best harvest ever. Nine apples!! I did get a few lettuce, but the carrots, spring onions and beetroot totally failed and the peas and beans were pathetic.

David

My last Monday as a working stiff. Maybe this is the lucky post.

I have apple, pear, cherry and plum trees and last year was my best harvest ever. Nine apples!! I did get a few lettuce, but the carrots, spring onions and beetroot totally failed and the peas and beans were pathetic.

David

What kind of soil do you have? Acid, alkali, clay, sandy, shallow, deep? What aspect e.g exposed hillside, cool valley? Are your fruit trees self pollinating?

I need to put down slug pellets, and I water seed beds daily until germination, then for a week or two more. I'm a garden numpty, but most works. This year my beetroot failed to germinate hence I now water daily and they are finally appearing, after 6 weeks. I weeded the jerusalem artichokes at the weekend, and pulled up artichokes, leaving weeds, till I realised. You could try plug plants from the garden centre e.g. Mange touts.

Herbs are easy and look nice. Rosemary, marjoram, lemon verbena, lavender. Hebes are easy. Lupin. Hardy geranium. Water them till established. There's loads more easy perennials. If you are daft enough to plant fennel, you'll find it hard to get rid of.

Have your heard?

== IMPORTANT NOTICE ==

I don't know whether you've heard about it:

- All rare bird sightings posted here will be moved to the appropriate section.
- All Good evenings will be moved to the Say-Hello-Forum.
- All posts containing elaborate gardening advice will be moved to http://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/
- All outdated weather reports (older than one day) will be put into the archives.

Good evening all,
Raffaele

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back