• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winterwatch 2022 (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Winterwatch returns on Tuesday 18th January at 8pm on BBC2. Chris Packham and Michaela Strachan visit Wild Ken Hill in Norfolk, where thermal cameras reveal animal antics after dark. Iolo Williams witnesses eagles and otters on the Isle of Mull, and Megan McCubbin watches the season unfold at WWT Castle Espie in Northern Ireland, where swathes of winter waders are seeing out the season. No mention of Gillian this year.

Winterwatch returns on Tuesday 18th January at 8pm on BBC2. Chris Packham and Michaela Strachan visit Wild Ken Hill in Norfolk, where thermal cameras reveal animal antics after dark. Iolo Williams witnesses eagles and otters on the Isle of Mull, and Megan McCubbin watches the season unfold at WWT Castle Espie in Northern Ireland, where swathes of winter waders are seeing out the season. No mention of Gillian this year.
Thanks Euan, I will keep an eye out for this.

Cheers

John

Thanks Euan, I was wondering when this was returning last week.

Thanks Euan. Apparently Gillian has personal commitments which prevent her from appearing this year. She will be back for Springwatch.

Ron

Last edited:
Michaela and Chris on Zoe Ball's R2 prog this morning. I'm getting hacked off by continual vegan propaganda now (Chris was pushing the vegan options at the WWT Welney cafe), might start enumerating all the lovely meat fish and eggs I eat in my accounts of birding days.

I'll still be watching tomorrow night though!

John

Yes, great stuff on Jack Snipe (a bird I've seen very little). In fact, this was a 'birdy' program throughout, suited me down to the ground.

Yes, great stuff on Jack Snipe (a bird I've seen very little). In fact, this was a 'birdy' program throughout, suited me down to the ground.
Me too to be honest I switch off when they keep going on about Otters and mice ha ha.

Last edited:
Yes, I also enjoyed the Jack Snipe and Woodcock. It struck me while dipping Bittern this afternoon at Blashford that a thermal imager might have done the trick in seconds.

Oystercatchers though... flippin eck. A thousand things they could show us (how about Purple Sandpipers or the Sanderlings that ran behind the Oyks at one point?) and they pick the most obvious, most well known shorebird in Britain. For goodness sake use your imaginations (and stop Megan saying "I have to say").

John

I am glad they showed the Oystercatcher. They are a fantastic bird and in the next 2 weeks the first returning birds should be appearing on my patch soon. Many members of the public are not aware of the Oystercatcher and how they have colonised inland.

The Jack Snipe segment was superb. Nice to see a bit of the Belvide area and the habitat Jack Snipe like.

I enjoyed most of the footage of the Heron, Tawny Owl & Cormorant hunting for the rat it was something a bit different . ( didn’t care about seeing the Otter as you see them in every series), also enjoyed Gillian’s film on the Oil Beetles.

I enjoyed most of the footage of the Heron, Tawny Owl & Cormorant hunting for the rat it was something a bit different . ( didn’t care about seeing the Otter as you see them in every series), also enjoyed Gillian’s film on the Oil Beetles.
Don't think the Cormorant was after the rat, though the other two yes. The Cormorant was undoubtedly after fish. I enjoyed the Otter footage & they certainly didn't spend long on it.

Agree the Oil Beetle footage was a good one- first time I've seen the triungulins on TV!

Parts are quite good but parts are dire. I agree about the rat and all the nonsense about the Kinks. I’m not keen on giving animals human traits and conversations either. However, I appreciate it is probably a light entertainment programme rather than a serious nature one.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back