• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wolves are Bustards in Northern Spain (1 Viewer)

Time for some pictures:

Red Kite

Lobo One

Wolf Scat

Red Riding Hood staking out the Big Bad Wolf

Local area map. Hotel at Villanueva, action up and down road to Ferreras de Arribo.

John.

Attachments

• 2013_02_Spain (143) (533x800).jpg
    2013_02_Spain (143) (533x800).jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 2013_02_Spain (152) (800x533).jpg
    2013_02_Spain (152) (800x533).jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 2013_02_Spain (154) (640x427).jpg
    2013_02_Spain (154) (640x427).jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 2013_02_Spain (158) (800x533).jpg
    2013_02_Spain (158) (800x533).jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 2013_02_Spain (164) (640x427).jpg
    2013_02_Spain (164) (640x427).jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
And some more:

Monica

Evening debrief

Red Deer retreating to the forest

Rosy snow

Steve

John

Attachments

• 2013_02_Spain (166) (640x427).jpg
    2013_02_Spain (166) (640x427).jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 2013_02_Spain (172) (800x533).jpg
    2013_02_Spain (172) (800x533).jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 2013_02_Spain (175) (800x533).jpg
    2013_02_Spain (175) (800x533).jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 2013_02_Spain (183) (800x533).jpg
    2013_02_Spain (183) (800x533).jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 2013_02_Spain (190) (533x800).jpg
    2013_02_Spain (190) (533x800).jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 115
And to bring us up to the arrival of Senor Nitwit and our return to the village:

Habitat

John monitoring Lobo One

Iberian Wolf trailcam shot

Same, cropped a bit

Of all the larks in all the world, the one that sat up had to be a Skylark.

John

Attachments

• 2013_02_Spain (201) (800x533).jpg
    2013_02_Spain (201) (800x533).jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 2013_02_Spain_Marions (4) (760x507).jpg
    2013_02_Spain_Marions (4) (760x507).jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 2013_02_Spain (1000) Trailcam (800x600).jpg
    2013_02_Spain (1000) Trailcam (800x600).jpg
    258 KB · Views: 138
  • 2013_02_Spain (1001) Trailcam (800x533).jpg
    2013_02_Spain (1001) Trailcam (800x533).jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 2013_02_Spain (228) (533x800).jpg
    2013_02_Spain (228) (533x800).jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Back at the Posada we each adopted our preferred activity: Paul had finally run out of steam and slept; Steve freshened up; Jeff wandered out after birds and I followed a little later.

I was lucky enough to find three Firecrests in a copse near the hotel. I have never really got to grips with Firecrest photographically and welcomed the chance to improve on my record shots with a prolonged session. I wouldn't say even now that I am finished with them, but the score is now much more even!

Wandering on I ran into Jeff who had seen a Chiffchaff and a few other bits and pieces. He refound the Chiff for me and we maanged some pictures of a male Stonechat with a distinct white rump, though only he managed to show it in his pictures of the bird.

Time moved on and we decided that regardless of our morning encounter we should spend our last wolf-watch at Lobo One. It had been explained to me by the team and especially Marion that my plan of sitting up overnight was now dead in the water. I did my best not to sulk.

First, however, we went for a drive round, spotting a few extra Red Deer but little else and contriving to get lost for a while.

Having sorted ourselves out and headed back to our operational area, we actually did try a spot on the road further up the hill, but just proved to ourselves that the Lobo One stop was superior, and returned to it. After several days of concentration on the task and, it must be admitted, an amount of good living, we were quite tired and three members of the party opted to do their watching from inside the car.

Marion, who concedes to no-one in her anticipation of disaster and was keeping an eye on road traffic, suddenly called to us all that the Guardia Civil were heading our way with blue lights flashing. "everybody in the car!" was the cry, and within a very few seconds we were tazzing down the road towards them as innocently as anything.

As we neared their car, they slowed and indicated that they were stopping, but they didn't make any gestures at us so we went past them and kept going. I understand from the othes that they did in fact turn round and start back down the hill, but my focus was forward as our driver returned to the village in double-quick time, parked behind the Posada and we all headed away up the track towards the hilltop transmitter tower. What, us? haven't been away fro here for hours, officer....

This was all very annoying. We had a strong suspicion that jobsworth had asked the Guardia to keep an eye on us (though Jeff remarked that it would be unfortunate if they'd actually been coming to give us a hot tip on a Wolf round the corner) and heaped more curses on him, the Guardia and over-zealous, over-manned Spanish government agencies generally.

After an enjoyable short walk we decided to finish the declining day by following the Roman Road out onto the heathland (Paul said you could see right along Lobo One from it) and in the process flsuhed an Iberian Hare, whose fast-retreating back end gave brief views except to an unusually slow Maz. We scanned the heathland till it was really too dark to see anything at any distance, seeing two male Hen Harriers but nothing else of note, then returned to the El Tejar to muse upon our dip trip, pack for the morrow and sink a few cervezas before dinner.

The following morning was minus five, the car had half an inch of solid ice on it, and we went fairly carefully in case of black ice.

The intention was to take a different route back, passing some lagoons at Villafillas in the hope of seeing more Great Bustards and perhaps Littles, plus sandgrouse. We had some nice views of GBs, though not as close as on our first day, but didn't spot either of the other targets.

Immediately after leaving the lagoons we got quite thoroughly confused by motorway junctions that didn't have full on/off both direction access, and in sorting ourselves out came to a halt in a village where Jeff exclaimed "Rock Sparrow!" - so I at least got a bird tick out of the trip.

Other than that the drive was unremarkable and we reached the airport in plenty of time to drop off the car. At check-in we had to shuffle some gear between bags as Steve's was stuck shut by a combination lock that had gone bad, so he couldn't put his tripod away, but we managed to sneak everything through without excess baggage charges. We then had to check ourselves through security, this time only Jeff having his bag searched.

Easy flight back: easy drive home. That's all folks.

John

Final Pix:

Posada Rural El Tejar

Firecrest

Stonechat

White Stork at nest.

Attachments

• 2013_02_Spain (240) (640x427).jpg
    2013_02_Spain (240) (640x427).jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 2013_02_Spain (319) (533x800).jpg
    2013_02_Spain (319) (533x800).jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 2013_02_Spain (367) (800x533).jpg
    2013_02_Spain (367) (800x533).jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 2013_02_Spain (387) (427x640).jpg
    2013_02_Spain (387) (427x640).jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 69
Odd that you were getting hassle from the plods and co. If I'd been on a public road, I'd have just stood my ground I think ...and wouldn't have been sneaking off for munchies in prime doggy spotting time ;)

Regardless of lack of success, seems a good place fopr another try - with better luck and better weather, reckon you have as good odds as with a guide. Or near so.

Off on any more jaunts soon John?

If IanF introduces a turd photo competition you've got my vote:t:

Cracking write up John,

Rich
Time for some pictures:

Red Kite

Lobo One

Wolf Scat

Red Riding Hood staking out the Big Bad Wolf

Local area map. Hotel at Villanueva, action up and down road to Ferreras de Arribo.

John.

Odd that you were getting hassle from the plods and co. If I'd been on a public road, I'd have just stood my ground I think ...and wouldn't have been sneaking off for munchies in prime doggy spotting time ;)

Regardless of lack of success, seems a good place fopr another try - with better luck and better weather, reckon you have as good odds as with a guide. Or near so.

Off on any more jaunts soon John?

Well, we don't quite know that they were after us, because we zipped off, but I'd certainly bet they were. Perhaps as UK residents we are more wary of cops with guns.

As for the eating accusation, I'm not convinced, in a hunting area, that the middle of the day is prime time for wolf-spotting - also the damn weather wasn't always ideal and mammal spotting of any kind is very much less successful in rubbish weather.

I rather agree that a second go would be worth it, at a more favourable time of year. I think I would engage a guide for perhaps the first day (90 Euros a day is steep) and hope to (a) score and (b) get the best gen.

I would also be prepared to sit up overnight based on sign and trailcam data.

I think the Spanish will have to decide, though, whether they want to earn money from the presence of their charismatic large carnivores or bury their heads in stupid tradition by continuing to hunt them (the man who advances the word tradition has no ideas of his own and no capacity to argue logically against the proposals facing him: a charlatan of the worst sort.) The two activities are not compatible.

Funnily enough I am heading out again soon. It will be even colder than Spain....

John

awesome firecrest picture.

shame about the wulf! does seem a bit hypercritical of the locals to be so encouraging whilst the authorities are more protective. i guess that is their job in a way. spain haven't got the best record when it comes to conservation. whilst in the ebro lying in was virtually impossible with the thousands of shot gun rounds going off from first light - and before in some instances....

that said local hunters pointed me to the Great Bustards nr Ballobar so they weren't anti-birder or suspicious...

Indeed. Clearly they were about, but I suspect they are more nocturnal than perhapos we thought. At this time of year they have plenty of night to do the business.

Later in the season they will have little option but to be active during daylight hours. Not only will there be less darkness but they will be involved in the high energy activity of breeding. That said I would expect while they are tied to the den during the very early life of the pups, they will be really, really elusive. Only once the pups become mobile and the pack moves to use of a different base (what Dave Mech calls an RV point rather than a den) are they likely to become more prominent in the landscape again.

I rather think this means the really short nights won't work.

John

Sorry to hear you were not successful on the wolf front. However it was a great read nonetheless and although I have only just joined Birdforum, I have read and enjoyed yours and others mammal accounts for a while.

Great community on here.

Cheers

Ian.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back