• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wonderful Journey Home (1 Viewer)

Iain C

Yesterday evening I was on my way home from work. A little later than usual so it was just getting dusk. There are a couple of fields where I usually slow down (much to the annoyance of the other drivers) to look at the Lapwings. There are usually about a dozen or so always facing towards the coast.

A bit further along I was driving down a lane and I saw about 50 Lapwing all flying low over another field. This road is normally empty so i could stop for a few minutes and watch. They swooped low, wheeled and finally settled on the soil. It was a fantastic sight which I will remember for a good while. It was great therepy for a pretty stressful day at work.

I just love watching Lapwings in flight, especially flocks of them.

Iain

I think lapwings are wonderful birds. We are lucky that they are still around in good numbers here in Kent.

I agree a wonderful sight. I often have them wheeling over the M20 motorway on my way to work. As I pass the M25 I then often get the first small flocks of Parakeets. Must keep my eyes on the road!

There's nothing better than seeing a beautiful flight of birds to put the day in perspective, is there!

I may never get to see a Lapwing, but I envy you the experience. Great way to end the day!

I see Lapwings all year round where I work (we have an Airfield & a football pitch - they like both!). Theres upto 200 overwinter which I often watch flying around on my dinnertime walk, as well a numerous birds nesting around the Airfield in summer, many of which are successful and I regularly see baby Lapwings each year....nice!
Iain's comment about driving and looking at birds probably rings a bell with most of us...perhaps we need a special rear window sticker saying 'BIRDER - LIABLE TO STOP SUDDENLY - PLEASE PASS' !
Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back