• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpecker ID Quiz for Eastern US Birders - If you can name them all, you're a woodpecker pro! (P.S. Bonus Points for Explaining Results) (3 Viewers)

ShlundoKyogre

United States
Do you have what it takes to ID these woodpeckers?

Find out using this fun and simple quiz.

Feel free to right your answers below and I will be sure to let you know your score.

Good Luck!

IMG_0122[1].JPGIMG_1573[2].JPGIMG_8261~2.JPGIMG_20240208_141219.pngIMG_0677[1].JPG

Best,
Shlundo

Last edited:
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Red-bellied Woodpecker (female)
Northern Flicker

Wow, you guys are all correct. Great Job! Also in response to the pictures above that is a Male Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus Pileated) and a Adult Red headed woodpecker (Melanerpes erythrocephalus) which is in the same genus as the more common Red bellied woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)

Wow, you guys are all correct. Great Job! Also in response to the pictures above that is a Male Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus Pileated) and a Adult Red headed woodpecker (Melanerpes erythrocephalus) which is in the same genus as the more common Red bellied woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)
BTW, where are you located (other than on E Coast...)?
There have been Lewis's seen in VA (where I live) but very rare. We also have Red-cockaded, but not common and only found in a couple of places. I have not seen either of those. The others are fairly widespread.

To answer your question, I photo graph birds in New Jersey so I get your average Eastern woodpeckers like Hairy, Downy, Red Bellied, Red headed, Pileated, Yellow Bellied Sapsucker, and Northern Flicker. Down south there are more rare woodpeckers like you have states with the Red-cockaded woodpecker and on even some accounts, the presumed extinct ivory billed woodpecker.

To answer your question, I photo graph birds in New Jersey so I get your average Eastern woodpeckers like Hairy, Downy, Red Bellied, Red headed, Pileated, Yellow Bellied Sapsucker, and Northern Flicker. Down south there are more rare woodpeckers like you have states with the Red-cockaded woodpecker and on even some accounts, the presumed extinct ivory billed woodpecker.
Depending how you define "east" there are several more that potentially qualify.

BTW, where are you located (other than on E Coast...)?
There have been Lewis's seen in VA (where I live) but very rare. We also have Red-cockaded, but not common and only found in a couple of places. I have not seen either of those. The others are fairly widespread.
AS a matter of fun fact, the first and only woodpecker seen by myself in the US for a decade was red-cokaded...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back