• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpigeons Autumn 2014 (1 Viewer)

I saw about three hundred woodpigeon lift up together over woodland today in North Devon in a way I'd be more used to seeing in November. No sign of a raptor and it got me thinking, how come I've not heard or seen much of spring migration in this species when it's so evident in autumn, and could movement be happening this late in spring?

I saw about three hundred woodpigeon lift up together over woodland today in North Devon in a way I'd be more used to seeing in November. No sign of a raptor and it got me thinking, how come I've not heard or seen much of spring migration in this species when it's so evident in autumn, and could movement be happening this late in spring?

My perception - and it is no more than that - is that the bulk of British winterers moved on some weeks ago. Numbers have dropped heavily in my area: but this may in fact just be dispersion of winter flocks into breeding pairs scattered through breeding habitat. I would be very interested in others views and data.

John

I posted on another forum today about it being strange that I was still seeing flocks of wood pigeons as they've normally split off into their pairs by now. I have seen several active nests so pairing must obviously be happening, but there are still some largish flocks (for my patch) knocking around.

5 November 2014

Hello !
I've read the interesting discussion about the transit of 202.000 woodpigeons
in 3 h. 5th Nov.2014 in Portskewett .
At my opinion the population was migrating directly from Norway ( Danmark ??)very probably during full Moon night .
It happened in Italy 29 Oct. 2013 when from the Mesola Forest ( close to the Adriatic Sea coast - Ferrara ) more than 400.000 woodpigeons ( arrived from Balkans during second half Ocotber and remaining there for feeding in the area of long stop-over ) flyied in take-off during the full Moon night ( 3 am - 7 am )
and crossing directly the Appennini Mountains and directly to the south-west Mediterranean area . At 7,30 am the Mesola Forest was empty .
I don't believe about an origin from the British Islands regarding 5th Nov.. Your genetic populations are not so sensitive to so strong Migration impulse.
Why so strong impulse ?
Please take note about the following Abstract

“ Decision making “ of autumn migrations of Woodpigeons ( Columba palumbus ) in Europe : analysis of the abiotic factors and “focus” on Atmospheric Pressure change[/

Enrico Cavina (*)
www.labeccacciascientifica.itwww.beccacciawoodcockanatomy.com

In this detailed paper we have tried to detect all the possible abiotic data on two areas of transit of woodpigeons(Columba palumbus) on autumn migration (Falsterbo SWEDEN - FRANCE Pyrenees), processing and reporting of their data..
The "focus" was to identify the main abiotic factor related to the weather that can be defined as "the finger pressing the button" for the take-off flight of the fall migration from nesting areas by both transit areas (stop-over). The analysis was conducted on census data in transit, in the Archives of the Observatory of Falsterbo (Sv) and Mountains Pyrenees (GIFS) in France. Basis of the total quantity of Pigeons counted in migration of 40 years (from 1973 to 2014 ) is 38,105,479 Pigeons (Columba palumbus) and more specifically in the subject of study over the past 15 years (1999-2013) 32,468,985woodpigeons : 47 peaks were identified (1-5 days) migration in Sweden and 42 peaks on the Pyrenees. It was possible to compare these peaks with the weather conditions drawn day by day and hour by hour detailed by the Archives of Weather History. The analysis carried out mainly with data rates of incidence of abiotic factors has revealed that the likely "finger pressing the button" can be identified in raising of the atmospheric pressure: this increase is a constant (92.62% Sweden - 92.85% of the Pyrenees) and more in particular has been with variations above 10 hPa in 75.80% of the peaks for the sector "36/24 h" and 76.19% for the sector "18 h" preceding the take-off ..
The global analysis of all the abiotic factors makes it possible to construct a number of hypotheses for the interpretation of the "why" this happens. It is also emphasized that the sensor terminal of the variations of atmospheric pressure is readily identifiable of the Para-Tympanic Organ (PTO) of Vitali.as possible “biological” barometer.
GRAPHICS at
https://plus.google.com/photos/103942035281038458760/albums/5951675145634750097

It will be interesting opening a discussion on this item .

DURING the days 4th - 5th Nov. in your area and in Norway - Baltic areas
the Atmospheric Pressure increased 15-30 hPa ( check Weather History Archives website )
and probably - together other abiotic factors ( wind,temperature,moon light ) - it was the "finger" pushing the PTO Organ of Vitali .
Regards
Enrico Cavina
[email protected] [email protected]

SORRY a mistake .
]“ Decision making “ of autumn migrations of Woodpigeons ( Columba palumbus ) in Europe : analysis of the abiotic factors and “focus” on Atmospheric Pressure change[/

GRAPHICS are at
https://plus.google.com/photos/103942035281038458760/albums/6086432829554328737

Check also : ( PTO ) https://plus.google.com/photos/103942035281038458760/albums/5952413426147196337
/5952415801422069458?pid=5952415801422069458&oid=103942035281038458760
and
https://plus.google.com/photos/103942035281038458760/albums/5802521945641185121

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back