• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worcestershire Butterflies,Moths and Dragonflies (2 Viewers)

Brimstone butterfly

First post of the year!

My dearly beloved reports a Brimstone butterfly at 1:15pm today at Norton Juxta Kempsey First School, Littleworth.

Two Brimstones flying around Cofton Reservoir this early afternoon and a Peacock ! First butterflies I have seen this year :)

First post of the year!

My dearly beloved reports a Brimstone butterfly at 1:15pm today at Norton Juxta Kempsey First School, Littleworth.

Thought you were all C R A Z E E at seeing Butterflies this early then I saw a Peacock by the Arrow at Arrow Valley today.
Pic to follow....

Keith :t:

The early afternoon warmth yesterday enticed out Comma, Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock at Upton Warren.

Des.

Attached are Beautiful Demoiselle and Banded Demoiselle seen at Upton Warren on Wednesday. They were the first of the year until Woodchat reminded me of his Beautiful Demoiselle he saw on the 28th. The Porter's Mill sighting is one month earlier than last year's first!!

Des.

Attachments

• Banded Demoiselle.jpg
    Banded Demoiselle.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Beautiful Demoiselle.jpg
    Beautiful Demoiselle.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 46
Saw my first Azure damselflies this year along the Salwarpe at Upton Warren this afternoon. Jared Tibbetts informed me yesterday that he had seen a female Red-eyed Damselfly at Upton Warren on Monday.

I visited Blackstone Riverside Park - just down river from Bewdley - today and saw 3 Club-tailed Dragonflies. The first 3 shots are studies of the same female. The 4th shot is a different individual, presumably a female but somewhat different to the first subject. The 3rd individual appeared to be a male (had more black about it), which I was unable to photograph as it flew high into a tree.

Attachments

• Club-tailed Dragonfly F(1).jpg
    Club-tailed Dragonfly F(1).jpg
    437 KB · Views: 58
  • Club-tailed Dragonfly F(2).jpg
    Club-tailed Dragonfly F(2).jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Club-tailed Dragonfly F(3).jpg
    Club-tailed Dragonfly F(3).jpg
    462.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Club-tailed Dragonfly F(4).jpg
    Club-tailed Dragonfly F(4).jpg
    461 KB · Views: 52
A few from today.....Feckenham...

Keith :t:

Attachments

• New Canon 20 071.JPG
    New Canon 20 071.JPG
    337.6 KB · Views: 40
  • New Canon 20 038.JPG
    New Canon 20 038.JPG
    368.2 KB · Views: 32
  • New Canon 20 039.jpg
    New Canon 20 039.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 33
  • New Canon 20 069 A.jpg
    New Canon 20 069 A.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 43
Bit of a hand...

Not really all that hot on my Butterflies but I've been trying to learn a few recently.
Came across these two spp. though yesterday and I'm really struggling to find them in my guide (I feel like it must be a pretty poor book I'm using, since they were fairly profuse and quite distinctive.)

The first was a smallish (I think fritillary) on the tops of the Malverns - loads about. Sorry for the shocking photo, though I think it's enough to ID from.

The second was in the Wyre Forest in the Dowles Brook area - this one I've only got an underside of wing shot off but again I would have thought this should be enough info.

If anyone wouldn't mind giving a hint as to what they are that would be much appreciated.

I'm off to buy a better book...:t:

Attachments

• dontknowMalvern.jpg
    dontknowMalvern.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 75
  • dontknowDowles.jpg
    dontknowDowles.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 65
A distant view of a Holly Blue at The Flashes, Upton Warren. A closer view of something I can't identify - maybe a Coreidae Squash Bug?

Attachments

• Holly Blue comp.jpg
    Holly Blue comp.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Squash Bug comp.jpg
    Squash Bug comp.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 52
Not really all that hot on my Butterflies but I've been trying to learn a few recently...I'm off to buy a better book...:t:

So I've just done a bit of goggling - the Dowles sp. is a speckled wood - I can't believe the images in the book I have are so atrocious! I think I really will be looking for some better ID material.
I'm still however stumped on the Malvern sp. - the patterning just seems too empty for anything I can find. Feels like a frit or a copper but I've no idea.

Any thoughts?

Ste.......Moths and Butterflies can be slit from each other (mostly) by the way they hold the wings when resting and by the antenna - there are of course exceptions but it rules out a lot of mix ups.
A google should say what to look for with this...hopefully.....then the fun can start actually working out the different species of each.......quick clue - moths are much harder...for me anyway.

Keith:t:

Some shots taken today during a brief sunny interlude around lunchtime at Upton Warren:

1. Blue-tailed Damselfly (f - immature violacea form)
2. Azure Damselfly (m)
3. Azure Damselfly (f)
4. Banded Demoiselle (m)
5. Broad-bodied Chaser

Attachments

• BluetailedUW.jpg
    BluetailedUW.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Azure(m)UW.jpg
    Azure(m)UW.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Azure(f)UW.jpg
    Azure(f)UW.jpg
    462.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Banded(m)UW.jpg
    Banded(m)UW.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Broad-bodiedUW.jpg
    Broad-bodiedUW.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 43
Saw my first Red-eyed Damselfly of the year along the River Salwarpe at Upton Warren NR late morning (see record shot below):

Attachments

• Red-eyed Damselfly(M)UW.jpg
    Red-eyed Damselfly(M)UW.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 60
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back