• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worth The Upgrade? (1 Viewer)

JOC1

United States
Hello,

I currently have an 8x42 vortex Viper and was thinking of upgrading to a Fujinon Polaris 7x50 FMTSX.

The vipers already do a pretty good job, but I hear the Fujinon are basically an “alpha” Porro. And it’s only a couple hundred more (less if I get a good deal).

I’m wondering if it’s going to be much of an upgrade in image quality?

I’ll primarily be using these to stargaze with a tripod from my backyard. (It’s worth noting we live in a rural neighborhood so we get some dark sky’s) I’ll also be using these for a quick view of deer and birds in our backyard.

What I like about the viper is they are a good all-around binoculars with the best no fault warranty (this is a big consideration since we have toddlers).

But if the jump in quality is as good as I hear, it might be worth it. I’m loving scanning the stars at the moment, so if these really enhance the experience I might really consider upgrading. (Although I just saw that the Fujinon has individual focusing vs center - not sure how user friendly/practical that would be…)

But I wanted to hear everyone’s thoughts and experience with these two binos and if it’s worth upgrading.

Thanks

Last edited:
I use the Polaris at sea. It is a cracking, exemplary binocular for that environment. The image is as crisp as you are ever going to need. Truly wonderful, and yes, starry nights are a delight with them, with a field of crisp pinpoints.

I use the Polaris at sea. It is a cracking, exemplary binocular for that environment. The image is as crisp as you are ever going to need. Truly wonderful, and yes, starry nights are a delight with them, with a field of crisp pinpoints.
How is the individual focusing vs the center focusing? That seems like it would be annoying to do while handholding lol

How is the individual focusing vs the center focusing? That seems like it would be annoying to do while handholding lol
What? You set them for your eyes and your eye does all the work. They are not birding binoculars, not at all. They are primary work tools for marine environments over long distances. Close focus isn't anything to write home about.

What? You set them for your eyes and your eye does all the work. They are not birding binoculars, not at all. They are primary work tools for marine environments over long distances. Close focus isn't anything to write home about.
Ahh gotcha, excuse my ignorance. That’s important to note, thanks

One usually sets them on infinity, and then just uses them.

I am not at all sure you would find them suitable for birding.

The stars are at, and remain at, infinity.

Birds are not at, and do not remain at, infinity. (in general)

The optics are stunning. For stargazing or Maritine you will be hard pressed to get better.
At this point I rarely use them for daytime, except maybe if there are some deer in the backyard. Which is why it would be nice to have something quick to grab to check them out. But most of my use it turns out has been stargazing.

With that said, how close would you say the viper is to the Fuji at night? (I’m thinking if they are close it might not be worth that full jump and losing out on daytime viewing)

The Viper will do you good for all uses and will be okay for some star gazing. The Polaris is streets ahead at nighttime due to the MASSIVE exit pupil.

I think you are trying to compare apples and radishes.

Just because both are binoculars does not make them the same, or even comparable.

I think you may want to consider doing some additional reading before you spend any money.

Ask yourself first your intended purpose for the binoculars.

I noticed my actual use is around 85% astronomy and 15% wildlife.

So it would be nice to have something that could do both if needed.

I’m also considering the Vortex Viper 10x50 as well.

would anyone know if that would make much a difference compared to the 8x42 version?

Last edited:
Hi,

the FMTSX series are great bins for astro - I get the possibility to use a pair of 10x50 FMTSX2 from a friend in the astro club once in a while alongside my 10x42 SE. The Fujinon wins although by a small margin - as is expected with its larger aperture.

Whether a 7x50 pair really makes sense in your case depends on your eyes and the amount of light pollution (or lack thereof). I would only consider it if I was 20 again and lived in an area with very dark skies.

The Fujinon will not be great for birding due to its weight and IF. I would rather keep the Vortex pair and get sth even larger for astro on the tripod... 12 or 16x maybe?

Joachim

Keep the vipers as you have already bonded and like them, get a cheap 10x50 or 15x70 porro, even an old Swift Audubon 8.5 is cracking under the night sky. I'd suggest the Sky Master Pro 15x70 mounted will give you the views you are looking for at a much cheaper cost, 10x50 consider the Nikon Action.
They may be cheap but are still excellent on the night sky.

I would figure out a way to have both . And imo 7x50’s are like looking through a cardboard tube , consider the nikon extreme 10x50 65 degree afov produces more of an immersive veiw . The optics are good but not near the fuji . Having only one pair of binoculars though is counterproductive .

Nothing wrong with a good cheap porro, my two suggestions are excellent on the night sky and in particular the Nikon is a firm favourite amongst amateur astronomers.
I have the NL Pure and a old Audubon that is probably worth pennies yet it never fails to give me a wonderful night time view.

I noticed my actual use is around 85% astronomy and 15% wildlife.

So it would be nice to have something that could do both if needed.

I’m also considering the Vortex Viper 10x50 as well.

would anyone know if that would make much a difference compared to the 8x42 version?
If you want to have some wildlife viewing you should go with center focus.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back