• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worth The Upgrade? (1 Viewer)

I’m not familiar with either one, how are the Bushnells “better”?
They are the best roofers KUO, Kunming United Optical could build during their production run. The Legend Ms were sold by other marketing companies with different skins/mechanicals/coatings but were essentially the same. Two marketing brands that come to mind were Athlon Ares/Zen-Ray ED. They are a heavier binocular, stouter binocular than the Viper . The view out is subjective of course as both binoculars are wide and sharp, but "better" encompasses many things based upon ergonomics and individual preferences. The current reskinned version is the Bushnell Forge, Reviews for both are on Albinos. I purchased Ms at closeout prices averaging $125-$150. Cheap but very good glass. KUO is building for well known brands, but those brands do not want the end consumer to know.

Last edited:
I think the Viper 8x42 and the Fujinon 7x50 are so distinctly different devices that one should really consider if the change is justified. Is like if you go from a light and zippy english convertible to a heavy 4x4. Both can offer great performance, but are simply made to fulfill different purposes. I had the Fujinon and they are really a delight, especially under the night sky, the stars are pinpoint and the view is more immersive than what the humble FOV figure would suggest. However they are VERY heavy. I mean... Fred Flinstone heavy. Not joking. They are a beast, that might or might not be to your liking. I think I can concurre with some of the suggestions to get a nice-but-not-so-expensive porro, wether 7x50 or 10x50. You can find very nice value in brands like APM or Orion. As a matter of fact, the APM "copy" of the Fujinon has received a lot of praise. Or otherwise, there are dedicated astro 7x50 and 10x50 with IF at different price points. Since you have the Viper, and it has a stellar warranty and has served you well, I'd definitely keep it and would look to get another "astro only" binocular. Once you get it, you can compare both. And If, after a while, you realise you don't use the Viper at all, you can always sell it.

I think the Viper 8x42 and the Fujinon 7x50 are so distinctly different devices that one should really consider if the change is justified. Is like if you go from a light and zippy english convertible to a heavy 4x4. Both can offer great performance, but are simply made to fulfill different purposes. I had the Fujinon and they are really a delight, especially under the night sky, the stars are pinpoint and the view is more immersive than what the humble FOV figure would suggest. However they are VERY heavy. I mean... Fred Flinstone heavy. Not joking. They are a beast, that might or might not be to your liking. I think I can concurre with some of the suggestions to get a nice-but-not-so-expensive porro, wether 7x50 or 10x50. You can find very nice value in brands like APM or Orion. As a matter of fact, the APM "copy" of the Fujinon has received a lot of praise. Or otherwise, there are dedicated astro 7x50 and 10x50 with IF at different price points. Since you have the Viper, and it has a stellar warranty and has served you well, I'd definitely keep it and would look to get another "astro only" binocular. Once you get it, you can compare both. And If, after a while, you realise you don't use the Viper at all, you can always sell it.
I believe the original poster stated he would use the Fujinons mostly on a tripod.

They are the best roofers KUO, Kunming United Optical could build during their production run. The Legend Ms were sold by other marketing companies with different skins/mechanicals/coatings but were essentially the same. Two marketing brands that come to mind were Athlon Ares/Zen-Ray ED. They are a heavier binocular, stouter binocular than the Viper . The view out is subjective of course as both binoculars are wide and sharp, but "better" encompasses many things based upon ergonomics and individual preferences. The current reskinned version is the Bushnell Forge, Reviews for both are on Albinos. I purchased Ms at closeout prices averaging $125-$150. Cheap but very good glass. KUO is building for well known brands, but those brands do not want the end consumer to know.
The Legend M 8X42 is likely the best glass for the less than $150 out of the box, I don't think there is a better pure optical view for the money. (I am not talking about transmission but ease of view and excellent resolution in a rather big sweet spot. I grabbed a couple (Rogers Sporting Goods - they sold over 500 units) and purchased a few more for gifts.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back