• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

WWT Broadmoor Wood. (1 Viewer)

Pam_m

My first visit today to this delightful wood on the edge of Birmingham. The bluebells are an absolute treat to see and the fragrance is amazing as you walk through the bluebells along the long and winding narrow path. Greater Stitchwort, Yellow Archangel, Celandine and Wood Anemone are also a delight to see amongst the bluebells and along the path. The Marsh Marigolds in the pool looked stunning! Blackcap and Chiffchaff were seen and heard along with Blue & Great Tit, Blackbird and a Great Spotted Woodpecker was heard. A small wood but with a big wow factor!

Attachments

• P1130989 [].JPG
    P1130989 [].JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 87
  • P1130990 [].JPG
    P1130990 [].JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 92
  • P1130995 [].JPG
    P1130995 [].JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 87
  • P1130996 [].JPG
    P1130996 [].JPG
    137 KB · Views: 88
  • P1140010 [].JPG
    P1140010 [].JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 88
Just over 2 years have passed since I started this thread. My visit today was a good one, interesting to see that the Bluebells are almost a month later in bloom this year than in 2011. I visited in Spring 2012 and the Bluebells were not abundant due probably to the wet weather!

When the sun shone today the strong, sweet scent from the Bluebells was a delight, I wish I could have bottled the perfume!
Birds seen were few, notably Blue and Great Tit, Robin, Long-tailed Tit and Blackbird with Blackcap heard only and a Great Spotted Woodpecker drumming in the distance.
A pleasant woodland walk and not strenous but some stretches of the pathway were quite muddy so care needs to be taken. Lovely to see Bluebells, Wood Anemone, Celandine and Yellow Archangel in such a delightful woodland!
Broadmoor Wood is well worth a visit!

Attachments

• P1090702 [].JPG
    P1090702 [].JPG
    232 KB · Views: 58
  • P1090730 [].JPG
    P1090730 [].JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 67
  • P1090736 [].JPG
    P1090736 [].JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 56
Hi Pam...looks like the one over the road but flatter.....Glad you saw and heard all those birds - they were missing at Beaconwood.
Is it as noisy there as at Beaconwood......

Can you tell me how to get into your wood and can I park close (safely).
Nice pics...
Keith :t:

Hi Keith, it isn't completely flat and yes it can be noisy but I just ignore it!

I turn off the A38 B-ham Road just past Whetty Bridge, up Gannow Road, left at the island on to School Road then 1st right for Holywell Lane. Just past the few houses on the right is Wasely Hills Country Park car park, though it is not opened until 9.00am and to be honest did not open by 10.00am! I trust you mean 'safely' as in leaving your car? The car park is as safe as anywhere is these days!
We parked opposite on the Leisure Centre car park. Walk down alongside the football pitch and you will soon see where to walk.

Enjoy if you go!

Hi Keith, it isn't completely flat and yes it can be noisy but I just ignore it!

I turn off the A38 B-ham Road just past Whetty Bridge, up Gannow Road, left at the island on to School Road then 1st right for Holywell Lane. Just past the few houses on the right is Wasely Hills Country Park car park, though it is not opened until 9.00am and to be honest did not open by 10.00am! I trust you mean 'safely' as in leaving your car? The car park is as safe as anywhere is these days!
We parked opposite on the Leisure Centre car park. Walk down alongside the football pitch and you will soon see where to walk.

Enjoy if you go!

Thanks Pam for taking the time and trouble to get me sorted.......I have to wear hearing Aids for any chance of hearing birds....the only real way of knowing whats in a wood.But without them it's noisy and with them I can hear cars as far away as frankley services .
It's such a shame that these two woods are blighted like this...the Beaconwood one for me is a little gem ...so much more pretty than the actual Lickey Hills.It reminds me of the little woods you get in Wales where there's Redstart and flycatchers.

I have found the car Park of Wasely by accident once so more or less know where to go..
Thanks again - it looks like a nice place to go in teh morning before work one day this week as I am on late shift.

p.s did you see the Bluethroat at Upton ?

The White-spotted Bluethroat is one that I had splendid views of at Chesil Cove, Portland Bill on the 6th April this year! My first UK Bluethroat!

Last edited:
Thanks Pam for the guidance in finding the reserve.....popped in for a quick walk around today...but the weather had beaten me,being overcast and windy...mind you by the end of the week this might rate as a good day...lol

Only took a little lens so pics a bit limited and sorry if they duplicate yours.
Did see a lot of bird life but with no bins could not I.D. most.
1 and 2..each side of entrance (complete with curly wurly wrapper....which I said I would remove but forgot to.
3 and 4 the lovely Bells
5 My fave area with the blue and white together...and this from a Villa fan.

Attachments

• Canon 123 063.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 123 063.jpg low.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Canon 123 064.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 123 064.jpg low.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Canon 123 066.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 123 066.jpg low.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Canon 123 068.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 123 068.jpg low.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Canon 123 070.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 123 070.jpg low.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 60
Thanks Pam for the guidance in finding the reserve.....popped in for a quick walk around today...but the weather had beaten me,being overcast and windy...mind you by the end of the week this might rate as a good day...lol

Only took a little lens so pics a bit limited and sorry if they duplicate yours.
Did see a lot of bird life but with no bins could not I.D. most.
1 and 2..each side of entrance (complete with curly wurly wrapper....which I said I would remove but forgot to.
3 and 4 the lovely Bells
5 My fave area with the blue and white together...and this from a Villa fan.

I am very fond of Beaconwood and the area around the bridleway up to Beacon Lane and Monument Lane.

I must give Broadmoor Wood a try very soon!

Forgot to say after I passed the pool and was walking back up the path there were some sheep inside the reserve......they knew their rat-run and were off up the slope and queued to get back under the fence........I don't know if this should be reported to the trust/farmer as I can see all the woodland floor being cleared over the years.

Good to see you managed a visit to Broadmoor Wood Keith! Your images are super. I also thought the blue and white (Bluebells and Greater Stitchwort) flowers looked really special as you walked through the woodland. A pity the sun didn't shine as it did on Sunday, what a treat that day was! I was out walking two local canal areas, a few bird species seen and heard especially Song Thrushes which were numerous!

I would certainly inform the trust or farmer (if you know who it is) of the wandering sheep.

Last edited:
Despite the very very long Winter I too have found that a lot of "ordinary" birds seem to be quite abundant...as you say Song Thrush...also I think Starling and House Sparrow.

We spent an hour in the woods this evening. Lots of birdsong, but sightings more elusive. We did see a treecreeper, which was a pleasant surprise. Bluebells, stichwort and archangel are still putting on a good show. Somewhat surprised at just how wet and muddy underfoot it is, especially in comparison to Beaconwood across the way, where things are considerably drier. Boots and not trainers next time methinks.

I did mention how muddy it was in places John! Wellies needed especially after the heavy rains of the last couple of days! Good that the Wildflowers are still looking good and well done with the Treecreeper, always a great bird to see!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back