• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wyver Lane Nature Reserve (DWT) (1 Viewer)

The first Sand Martins of the year today. 2 dropped in at 12.55 then another or the same 2 at 17.00. 2 singing Chiffchaffs, either end of the lane. The drake Goldeneye still present is now the latest spring record. Just 6 Teal, 3 Shoveler, 3 Gadwall and 10 Wigeon. 18 Tufted Ducks on the main pool in daytime is a lot and maybe due to some disturbance on the river.

4+ Buzzards up, 2 Kestrel, Sparrowhawk seen twice and a male Peregrine chasing a feral Pigeon over the east side. 2 Oycs, 2 Lapwing and 7 Snipe. 80 BHG and 4 Common. 2 Ravens again.

2 more Sand Martins reported to me on Wednesday but there hasn't been anymore since. Also of note on Wednesday 2 L Grebe, 2 Shelduck, the Goldeneye, 6 Goosander, 2 Oycs, 13 Snipe, 350 BHG, Chiffy, 2 Raven and a Siskin.

29/03: L Grebe, 20 Teal, 3 Shoveler, 8 Gadwall, 2 Wigeon, Mandarin, 2 Goosander, 9 Tufties, 2 Oycs, 2 Snipe, Mipit over, c25 Redwing and Raven.

30/03: An increase to 8 Shoveler (6 drake), 6 Gadwall, 11 Teal, 4 Wigeon, 10 Tufteds, drake Goosander, 8 Buzzards from the mound, 2 Oycs, 5 Snipe, 2 singing Chiffs, Raven, Lesser Redpoll and 3 Reed Buntings. With the recent addition of Med Gull and Sand Martin the year list stands at 82.

A flying visit yesterday revealed the return of the drake Goldeneye. 6+ Shoveler, just 4 Teal and the 2 Oycs.

A couple of hours this evening with Chris. 2 pairs of Little Grebes on site. A pair on the main pool and a pair on the top pool. Single Pink-footed Goose. 5 Shoveler, 2 Gadwall, 11 Teal, 8 Tufteds, 5 Goosander and the drake Goldeneye. The Goldeneye is now the first April record at Wyver. The 2 Oycs, 6 Snipe and a single Lapwing. The 2 Barn Owls seen again. One in the old tip field and the other at the owl box entrance in the ash tree at the same time.

Lots of water at Wyver yesterday. The river had breached in the SE corner for the first time in years. It was still going up during my visit and by the time I had left the water level post wasn't visible.

Swallow is the first of the year and take the year list up to 83. One appeared mid afternoon then 2 were present a couple of hours later. Both Barn Owls again near dusk. The drake Goldeneye still present. 2 Little Grebes on the main pool. 2 Shelduck, 24 Teal, 11 Gadwall, 5 Shoveler, 14 Tufteds and 6 Goosander. 4 Buzzards and 2 Kestrels. 57 Snipe all feeding out in the open in newly created pools due to the flooding. 2 Oycs still. 150 BHGulls and 9 Common Gulls. A single adult Lesser, and a 3rd cal year Herring Gull flew through. 2 singing Chiffchaffs.

7 Swallows and 3 Sand Martins yesterday. Drake Goldeneye still. 41 Teal, 5 Gadwall, 6 Shoveler, 2 Mandarin and 20 Tufteds. 2 Oycs and 37 Snipe. Barn Owl in the box. 88 BHG + 8 Common and 4 Herring through. Still just 2 Chiffs.

The first Blackcap of the year on Friday (84th sp of the year). Also 3 Little Grebe, 2 Shelduck, 13 Gadwall, 42 Teal, 3 Shoveler, 13 Tufteds, 5 Goosander, 7 Buzzards, 2 Kestrel, 2 Oycs, 43 Snipe and 120 BHG. At least 4 Chiffchaffs in song. 15 Swallows early evening with 3 Sand Martins.

A Little Gull and a House Martin yesterday were the 85th and 86th sp of the year respectively. Neither seen by me. The Little Gull is the first record since May last year.

A quick visit last night revealed Grey Heron, 9 Gadwall, 2 Shelduck, 8 Tufteds, 3 Kestrel, 2 Oycs and 6 Swallows. Another birder had 20 Swallows and one of the Barn Owls.

A couple of hours with Chris last night. 4 Little Grebes again, a pair on each pool. Teal down to 13. Nine Gadwall, drake Mandarin, 3 Shoveler, 12 Tufteds and 5 Goosander. The 2 Oycs and 10 Snipe the only waders. Two Barn Owls again at 20.07. 130 BHG, 5 Swallows, Sand Martin, 2 Chiffs and a Blackcap. A Daubenton's Bat over the water and 2 small Bat sp by the hide.

Another birder had 20+ Swallows, 2 House Martin and 5 Sand Martins.

A quick visit this afternoon didn't reveal anything too exciting. The 2 Shelduck are back on the main pool. As was 5 Gadwall, 8 Teal, 2 drake Shoveler, 10 Tufteds and 40 BHG. A Grey Heron was on the river bank. Only saw one of the Oycs but I'm guessing the other was there somewhere. Just a single Lapwing and Snipe. Blackcap singing near the hide and c25 Swallows feeding around the pool.

On this day:
10/04/1988 and early brood of Mallard.
10/04/1999 a pair of Garganey that stayed until 19/04.
10/04/2005. 2 Redshank, never common at Wyver.

40+ Swallows, 3 House Martins and a single Sand Martin yesterday in cold, drizzly conditions. Blackcap near the hide and 3+ Chiffchaffs. Around the pools were 3 Little Grebe, 2 Shelduck, 8 Gadwall, 3 Shoveler, 14 Teal, 11 Tufteds and a pair of Goosander. 2 Oycs still, and 18 Snipe flushed by something unseen. 70 BHG, 4 immature Lessers and 3 Herrings through.

On this day:
11/04/2013: The last day that one of the 2 wintering Bitterns were seen.
11/04/2009: 2 Little Egrets.
11/04/2017: A site record 4 Garganey.
11/04/1999: 9 Ruddy Duck.
11/04/1981 & 2003 the earliest Wyver LRP
11/04/2003: Lesser Spotted Woodpecker

On Wednesday the highlight was a Redshank feeding in front of the hide all afternoon. It looks like it's the first since 2014 and the 87th sp of the year. Other highlights were 3 Little Grebe, 2 Shelduck, 3 Shoveler, 19 Teal, 9 Gadwall, 13 Tufties, 3 Buzzards, Peregrine, 3 Oycs, 8 Snipe, 17 Lessers, Herring Gull, 35 Swallows, 6 House Martins, 3 Chiffchaff and 2 Blackcap. Late afternoon yesterday a Redshank flew in and when I studied the photos of Wednesday's bird they looked different so after 4 years wait it looks like we've had 2 in 2 days. A Pink-footed Goose was on the main pool. At least 3 Little Grebe still, 10 Gadwall. Mid afternoon 3 Herring Gulls dropped in, and adult and 2 2nd cal years. I've often said on here that Herring Gulls are rare at Wyver. In fact, some years they aren't even recorded. Yet this year we've already had 8 records. 25+ Swallows and 5 House Martins still, at least 3 Chiffchaff on a cold and miserable day.

Friday 13th proved to be quite lucky for me today when I found a Great White Egret walking around the upper marsh area. The odd thing was that only half an hour earlier I had walked near that area and had nothing but a Willow Warbler. In fact there were 2 Willow Warblers on site which are firsts of the year. I got back to the hide and looked towards the upper marsh to see a Great White Egret so I don't know where it came from. It's Wyver's 3rd record following one in 2004 and the one in November last year. It was often very elusive but would show with a bit of patience.

No sign of the pair of Shelduck today but there was 10 Gadwall, pr of Mandarin, 3 Shoveler, 16 Teal and 8 Tufteds. Also an incredible sight of 14 Buzzards up together from the viewing mound which is a site record. 2 Oycs still + 16 Snipe. 116 BHG on the main pool and yet another record of Herring Gull as an adult flew through. At least 40 Swallows with 3 Sand Martins and 3 House Martins. 4 Chiffchaffs and a single Blackcap finished off an interesting afternoon. The Egret and Willow Warbler are 88th and 89 sp of the year.

Chris reports the GWE still present this morning in the upper marsh area. Also the pair of Shelduck present with 4 Oycs. Also of interest was a Buzzard perched on a post near the top pool which dropped on to a Snipe and went back to the post to eat it.

On this day:
14/04/1999: Pair of Garganey
14/04/2002: A Ringed Plover, rare for Wyver.
14/04/2004: Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
14/04/1989: 17 Brambling
14/04/1989: A site record Linnet.
14/04/2016: The escaped Red-breasted Goose

The Great White Egret was still present until at least 19.30 last night in the upper marsh area seen from the viewing mound. A Common Sand around the main pool was new in and the 90th sp to be recorded this year.

On this day:
15/04/1999: A good count of 12 Little Grebe and one of only a few double figure counts.
15/04/1990: 11 Greylags was the first double figure count.
15/04/1999: 2 Garganey.
15/04/1985: Drumming and displaying Snipe. Something not seen these days.
15/04/2000: 2 Black-tailed Godwits: The first Wyver record.
15/04/2006: A Yellow Wagtail and Wyver's earliest
15/04/2010: A White Wagtail.

The Great White Egret was still present until at least 19.30 last night in the upper marsh area seen from the viewing mound. A Common Sand around the main pool was new in and the 90th sp to be recorded this year.

Hi Dave. Lovely to meet you yesterday, and to have found the location on my walk through. Lovely site.

Sent you a few shots, but as you can appreciate the Great White Egret ones were from quite a distance! The Great White Egret went up to roost at 20:00 and was still there around 20:30 when I left.

Hi Dave. Lovely to meet you yesterday, and to have found the location on my walk through. Lovely site.

Sent you a few shots, but as you can appreciate the Great White Egret ones were from quite a distance! The Great White Egret went up to roost at 20:00 and was still there around 20:30 when I left.

Nice to meet you too Phil. It looks like you were one of the last to see the Egret. Thanks for the photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back