• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow-legged Gull (?), UK (1 Viewer)

LaplandBunting

United Kingdom
Hi all

I came across a large Gull today which I believe to be a Yellow-legged Gull. It was the same size a LBBG but with a notably paler mantle, closer to Herring than LBBG (especially noticable when stood next to a LBBG - see pic below). Of course, the legs were bright yellow.

I have attached some pics below - do you agree?

Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220626-173528_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220626-173528_Gallery.jpg
    929.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20220626-173457_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220626-173457_Gallery.jpg
    948.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20220626-173449_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220626-173449_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_20220626-173335_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220626-173335_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
Not sure if you're suggesting the photos back up your description, but I can't see it. Can't see 'bright yellow' (or any sort of yellow) legs. Mantle colour in pics 1 & 4 looks the same as (herring?) gull in pic 2 and at left in pic 3. Mantle in pic 3 (bird at right) looks darker, but I take this to be some effect of light/photo/angle of bird.

Not sure if you're suggesting the photos back up your description, but I can't see it. Can't see 'bright yellow' (or any sort of yellow) legs. Mantle colour in pics 1 & 4 looks the same as (herring?) gull in pic 2 and at left in pic 3. Mantle in pic 3 (bird at right) looks darker, but I take this to be some effect of light/photo/angle of bird.
Thanks Butty.

In the field, the legs were clearly and indisputably yellow but I appreciate the pictures do not show that too well. The mantle was lighter than a LBBG and based on those factors I assumed it must be a YLG. The mantle was on the light side for YLG but still, to me at least, seemed to be darker than I would expect in a Herring Gull, particularly as the sun is giving the impression that the mantle is lighter than it was in the field.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back