• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

yellow wagtail - eastern genes ? (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

Hello, this is a bird, found in May, south Poland. It was in a flock of grey-headed wagtails (majority of males looks like) . I wonder this white head, breast, whitish underparts, contrasting with the gray top. Can flava look like this in spring?

Attachments

• _MG_3499 — kopia.JPG
    _MG_3499 — kopia.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 87
  • _MG_3495 — kopia (Copy).jpg
    _MG_3495 — kopia (Copy).jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 55
  • _MG_3493 — kopia (Copy).jpg
    _MG_3493 — kopia (Copy).jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 74
  • _MG_3432 (Copy).jpg
    _MG_3432 (Copy).jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 73
Why not? I just don't know exactly why. However, gray-white birds (first year) are described as possible eastern.
I don't have a detailed guide, but there are materials on the web. Anyway, I've never seen such a "snow-white" head and such a gray top, especially since it is the beginning of May.
Example:
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ls_in_Europe_identification_and_vocalisations.
However, I do not know if I interpret it correctly.
Of course, I do not mean certainty - I know that you need a call. But the point is, if such a bird can be suspected in the direction of "eastern"?

Last edited:
Why not a female flava?

Seems the most likely option. It's a non-starter for me based on my own (admittedly rather limited) experience with EYW in Asia, and wouldn't take a second glance if I saw it in continental Europe - in fact I saw two birds paler than this in a single flock in the UK this spring. With a recording of the call, analysis of sonogram and clear images of the hind claw, you may have a better response.

Ok thanks a lot for your help. I will just notice, that it is not only a pale bottom but also a fairly uniform gray top. I understand that these colours are good for searching eastern yw, but - with a microphone and good zoom;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back