• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow Wagtail? Rice paddies outside Bangkok (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and Bird Watchers!

I cannot find this bird in my book. Look like white front (belly and breast) and grey top. But it looks like there is a little yellow in the plumage on the wings.

I was thinking Yellow Wagtail as there is a yellow wagtail called M.f. Thunbergi with white (Buff) front and grey back (female) like my bird. But the problem is the yellowish in the wing plumage on my bird. In the book it is white (buff)

Anyone able to assist with the ID? Would as usually be very appreciated.

Kind Regards and Happy Birding!
Aladdin

Edit: Attached picture from my bird book

Attachments

• 2193.jpg
    2193.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 31
  • Bird-book.jpg
    Bird-book.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Yes, it's a Yellow Wagtail. First winter birds are usually grey above and white below, moulting into the yellow and green plumage later in the winter (compare the bird you posted yesterday, that had started to grow some yellow feathers on the underparts). This isn't very clear in your field guide.

The plain grey head without a paler supercilium suggests this is either subspecies thunbergi or macronyx, which are basically inseparable in the field (even though they are now usually included in different species - thunbergi is usually treated as Western Yellow Wagtail and macronyx as Eastern Yellow Wagtail!)

Yes, it's a Yellow Wagtail. First winter birds are usually grey above and white below, moulting into the yellow and green plumage later in the winter (compare the bird you posted yesterday, that had started to grow some yellow feathers on the underparts). This isn't very clear in your field guide.

The plain grey head without a paler supercilium suggests this is either subspecies thunbergi or macronyx, which are basically inseparable in the field (even though they are now usually included in different species - thunbergi is usually treated as Western Yellow Wagtail and macronyx as Eastern Yellow Wagtail!)
Thank you very much johnallcock!
I spotted one wagtail, never got any picture as it was on the road in front of the car. Looked like a white/ pied wagtail. I reported the bird as a wagtail s.p.
Now there is a lot of the wagtails in the paddy fields and it is not easy to ID all of them with the plumages in various state. So I appreciate the wagtail s.p. option in eBird.

Of course, better to give correct ID so I try to get pictures even though they are poor and the help is very appreciated

Kind Regards and Happy Birding!
Aladdin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back