• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

YesilUzumlu, Incerkoy and Cadianda areas. (2 Viewers)

Hiya, I'd say not an Issy, and I'd stick with EBEW. I enjoy your posts, and really hope to get out to southern Turkey b4 too long, perhaps late autumn, who knows 🤞🤞 🙂🌤🐦

Hiya, I'd say not an Issy, and I'd stick with EBEW. I enjoy your posts, and really hope to get out to southern Turkey b4 too long, perhaps late autumn, who knows 🤞🤞 🙂🌤🐦
Cheers Jogresh
An incredibly variable species.

Where will you be staying if you manage to come out?

Did a short Incerkoy loop this morning, mainly to try and Photograph the Collared Flycatcher.
Unfortunately the flycatcher wasn’t around but I did manage a ropey view and ropey photograph of a Short toed Snake eagle with a snake.

Large flock of Bee-eaters overhead as well

Sorry about the poor pictures but taking an image from the screen of my camera makes them even worse.

** just had a small storm which has brought the first rain for over two months

Attachments

• IMG_4555.jpeg
    IMG_4555.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4556.jpeg
    IMG_4556.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back home in the UK now (only for a month) so have attached aload of Eastern black-eared Wheater shots from around Uzumlu \ Incekoy

Attachments

• Eastern Black Eared Wheatear.JPG
    Eastern Black Eared Wheatear.JPG
    19 MB · Views: 5
  • Eastern Black Eared Wheatear.7.JPG
    Eastern Black Eared Wheatear.7.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 3
  • Eastern Black Eared Wheatear.6.JPG
    Eastern Black Eared Wheatear.6.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 4
  • Eastern Black Eared Wheatear.5.JPG
    Eastern Black Eared Wheatear.5.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 4
  • Eastern Black Eared Wheatear.4.JPG
    Eastern Black Eared Wheatear.4.JPG
    16.1 MB · Views: 5
  • Eastern Black Eared Wheatear.3.JPG
    Eastern Black Eared Wheatear.3.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 5
  • Eastern Black Eared Wheatear.2.JPG
    Eastern Black Eared Wheatear.2.JPG
    19.9 MB · Views: 5
Good evening all
Back in SW Turkey for a short break. Took the opportunity to travel just 35 minutes out of the village to a spot that has a medium sized stream and then a Lycian ruins.

On the way to Tlos I always stop at a road bridge in Camurkoy that straddles a fast flowing stream that has given a few good species over the years. I get to stop on the way to Tlos and again on my return.

The water is muddied from a nearby cement works but is still usually full of fish and wildlife.
My first stop was fairly uneventful with no waterfowl or waders, Common Kingfisher and Grey Wagtail and Moorhen were the only things in view around the water, Cettis Warblers called from the Reeds. Hooded Crow and White Wagtail were around the area. I carried on to Tlos Lycian Ruins. The two regular species didn’t let me down when a male Blue Rockthrush was already waiting and not long after three Western Rock Nuthatch chased each other around close by. Serin, Crested Lark, Blackcap and many Agama type lizards were all I could muster before I left.

Returned to the bridge at Camurkoy and got a few better species. I disturbed a Juvenile Little Bittern and saw what I think was a Marsh Warbler. A Northern Goshawk came across not much more than tree top height while three Steppe Buzzards soared a little higher. A few Spanish Sparrows were mixed in with the House Sparrows.

Was good to make the 40 minute drive to see the Little Bittern.

Tomorrow I go to 1900m to Gocu Beli to try for Red-Fronted Serin.

Would like to know if Thekla Lark occurs in SW Turkey as I saw what I thought was Crested Lark but had a different warbler type call???

Well well well
I set off early to Seki / Gocu Beli for a full days birding, sandwiches, soup and a fleece… I will be at 2000m.
I really only wanted Red-fronted Serin as I haven’t seen one for two years.
On the way I stop off at Seki a known spot for White Throated Robin at the right time of year, today they will have departed, but no bother I will see what’s about.

The day started with a mega, a grail of a bird in anyone’s eyes.
I pulled into a stop at 1350m where a rebuilt Roman bridge crosses a river near a gorge. Nothing to look at really but usually good for Cettis Warbler etc. A small flock grabbed my attention as I pulled up, Corn Bunting and White Wagtail, however right in front of me flew a Wallcreeper… I couldn’t believe it. I hadn’t the camera to hand as the sun hadn’t got fully up.
I followed its path down the gorge and lost sight. What a start bro the day, two Cormorant flew over to add a bit of normality.
I’m off to higher altitude now but stop at Seki for an hour where I pick up Woodlark, Serin, Cirl Bunting and some crazy Western Rock Nuthatch that perched on bushes rather than the plentiful rocks.

Next a drive up the rather intimidating road to Gocu Beli at 1850m. Usually A yearly jaunt for Red-fronted Serin and whatever is about.
Today no RF Serin but lots at Raven, short toed Treecreeper, Sombre Tit, Rock Sparrow, Red Breasted Flycatcher, Linnet and Red billed Chough and a humble Tree Sparrow. I did hear Green Woodpecker, Rock Bunting, Lesser Whitethroat and LTT but didn’t specifically try to track them down.

Happy to have a lifer today, but what a place. High in the clouds sometimes and others on top of the world

Last edited:
Today is a good day
Flying back to Yesiluzumlu this afternoon, looking forward to some sunshine and picking up the early migrants around the area.
Have got a few days out over the next month to areas a little drive away for some of the more localised species that I will include in this local patch thread.
Will be meeting up with fellow forum member Paul (angusmecoatup) for a trip out into the mountains north of this area and also arranged to bird his local patch over a day or two. Also got friend and fellow forum member Jeff (Goyter) coming out for a weeks birding late April.

Seems strange that I will get Syrian Woodpecker on my year list before GSW that I somehow missed during these first 10 weeks of this year.

Happy birding

21st March
Chilly morning so didn’t get out until 10am when it had warmed up. The only thing of note around the garden area were a few Blackcaps and a single Red Rumped Swallow. I decided to do the Uzumlu to Incerkoy loop which takes around three to four hours at a slow birding pace. As I crossed the main road through the village to the overland which is mostly farmland with Olive Groves and a few family run vineyards, a small flock of Goldfinch chattered away before fleeing directly over my head when a Goshawk flew in at not more than tree top height, it checked the area quickly and moved on just as quickly. No House Martin this morning but plenty of Barn Swallows with only one perched on a wire. Most baron fields had a handful of Hooded Crows while a Large Fritillary species of Butterfly landed in some sort of flowering cherry blossom tree. The walk was dotted with regular species such as Great Tit,
Blackbird, loads of Jays and Collared Dove. As I got past the Uzumlu mangal restaurant I came across a tree which had quite a bit of activity with Greenfinch and Siskin…. Right at the top sat a Hawfinch, preening in the sun. I enjoyed incredibly good views for ten minutes before pulling myself away. A Corn Bunting trilled from a hedge at the back of a farmhouse when another tree which I think is a Field Elm had a sizeable mixed flock of finches including Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Siskin and another Hawfinch, well actually 5 Hawfinch. Incredible to see and certainly my best ever views. Little did I know that over the next hour I would see at least another 20 individuals, by far the abundance Finch species this morning.

Tomorrow I will have another look with the camera in hand so really hoping they are in great numbers again.

A few Crested Lark called as did a Robin and eventually I caught up with a Syrian Woodpecker that showed well at the base of a tree. A Sparrowhawk disturbed a large flock of House Sparrows which held at least one Spanish Sparrow while close to the football ground a pair of Black Redstart chased critters.

Early on in the walk I heard a Zitting Cisticola but didnt manage to see it.

Attachments

• IMG_6660.jpeg
    IMG_6660.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6667.jpeg
    IMG_6667.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6668.jpeg
    IMG_6668.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6671.jpeg
    IMG_6671.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6670.jpeg
    IMG_6670.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6674.jpeg
    IMG_6674.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6675.jpeg
    IMG_6675.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6662.jpeg
    IMG_6662.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6666.jpeg
    IMG_6666.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
22nd March
Set off on the same route as yesterday but was only going to walk as far as the trees that held yesterday’s Hawfinch, this time armed with a camera. Quickly added a new trip species with a few Woodlark on an uncultivated patch of stoney land.
The noticeable difference this morning was the huge influx of Corn Bunting, saw them for the full length of the walk compared to yesterday’s single bird.

The Hawfinch were in good numbers again but confined to only two trees about half a mile apart. Difficult to count but a guess 8-10 in each tree. Large numbers of Greenfinch and Siskin accompanied them.

Only added 2 Middle Spotted Woodpecker and a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker to the trip list

A few images from the back of the camera.

Attachments

• IMG_6686.jpeg
    IMG_6686.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6687.jpeg
    IMG_6687.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6685.jpeg
    IMG_6685.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
23rd March
A high level loop with friends and neighbours here in Yesiluzumlu from the village upto the Cadianda Lycian ruins. The site sits in a rocky pine forested hill. The bird life is limited but a good species is usually reliable up there with Kruipers Nuthatch.
The whole walk up to the ruins (6km) was incredibly quiet birdwise with only Coal Tit and Chaffinch seen and a Scops Owl heard. One Kruipers called but I didn’t see it. After lunch at the top the return walk down the other side of the hill was a little more active. Quite a few Ravens over and plenty of Kruipers Nuthatch were very vocal and active. A good flock of Siskin and surprisingly some Serin fed on the pine tops while I saw two short toed Treecreepers but heard a few more.

Nice to see the distant snow capped Taurus Mountains.

The second to last image is Geyran Mountain which is the backdrop to our village here in Yesiluzumlu (which translates to Green Grape).

The second image is a fallen Tomb shifted in previous earthquakes but depicts Pegasus with a soldier fighting, and is known locally as Hectors Tomb

Attachments

• IMG_6711.jpeg
    IMG_6711.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6718.jpeg
    IMG_6718.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6723.jpeg
    IMG_6723.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6732.jpeg
    IMG_6732.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6713.jpeg
    IMG_6713.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6708.jpeg
    IMG_6708.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6715.jpeg
    IMG_6715.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6726.jpeg
    IMG_6726.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6725.jpeg
    IMG_6725.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
24th March
Cadianda road and return to village, an easy three hour walk. Sat on the balcony with a brew and listened to two Buzzard species calling fairly close by, they were perched somewhere out of sight. Red Rumped Swallow numbers are increasing now.
Just out of the village a few white wagtails in ploughed fields with a couple in really fresh plumage and actually looked quite stunning. Blackcap were the accompanying tick tick with just a couple singing. The first Grey Wagtails of trip had found a leaking pipe from a building site, while the next thirty minutes brought just the regular Crows, Jays, Tits etc. A stretch of road that has some good stoney habitat with a good selection of hedges, Olive groves and mature deciduous trees and bushes is often good for one or two irregular species. A family had parked up and were laying out blankets and chairs for a breakfast picnic. It seems that had disturbed a Cettis Warbler that called, it eventually flew pretty much over my head to the other side of the road. While trying to relocate it, turns out that this spot was the place of the day. I spent the next half hour trying to get onto at least two Wryneck but they didn’t show themselves, however a few Woodlark and a single Sombre Tit did.
Further on two Cirl Bunting crossed on front of me, an Ortolan Bunting sang in a hedge while two Bkack Redstart chased critters nearby.

The return walk was a little less eventful with only a Middle Spotted Woodpecker and Raven added.

The Cettis Warbler still called out as did a few frogs which surprised me as I didn’t realise the stream was anymore than an old dried ditch.

So five new trip species and a dip on the Wryneck. Still virtually no warblers and no Shrikes yet.

Attachments

• IMG_6746.jpeg
    IMG_6746.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6748.jpeg
    IMG_6748.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6747.jpeg
    IMG_6747.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6741.jpeg
    IMG_6741.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6742.jpeg
    IMG_6742.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
25th March
Cold wet and generally miserable day, no birding apart from a few moments on the balcony.
Lots of Serin and Chaffinch, however a Sparrowhawk has been perched here for best part of an hour and a single Jay has done its best to see it off. While the jay flaps at it and generally gets agitated by the minute, the Sparrowhawk isn’t even mildly put off.

Attachments

• IMG_6757.jpeg
    IMG_6757.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6755.jpeg
    IMG_6755.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 7
Rained for most of the day and night yesterday, hard enough in the early hours to send me checking for leaks around the door bottoms, all was good at 3am

Decided to walk to the market at Incerkoy, it was a very Foggy morning but lifted reasonably quickly.

As most mornings I was greeted with Blackcaps along the lane and just over the road a couple of Song Thrush foraged at the base of a sparce hedge line, accompanied by some of the many Jays in the area and Hooded Crows were just as plentiful. The first significant species was a Hoopoe that was silhouetted by the fog in a semi distant tree, only the constant call gave it away at first. A pair of Laughing Doves are a little unusual in this area but not today. A pair of Middle Spotted Woodpecker gave stunning views close up…. Always the way when the camera is tucked away at home. Was disappointed to find very small numbers of Hawfinch in the Elms, only three or four this morning. It is noticeable that the Elm seeds have turned colour now so maybe not at their best for a bird’s early morning breakfast. As with the last few days the walk was dominated by the sound of Corn Bunting, Serin and Goldfinch. Also managed my first Common Wood pigeon.
As I approached Incerkoy I pass a large cemetery with some nice mature trees, a Golden Oriole called but stayed hidden, however two Cretzschmars Bunting sat on a fence wire at almost touching distance. A good two hour walk allowed me time to have a chai at the market while picking up the locally made yoghurt. A bus back home just in time to see two Raven gliding low ish over the garden.

A quick walk in the afternoon bagged many more Hawfinch in the usual location with a personal record of 6 perched up in the open enjoying the sunshine. Plenty of Greenfinch and Siskin shared the same tree, everyone of them static in the sunshine….. yet again the no camera syndrome.

On the way back found a field down a track that had my first Wheatear of the season with two adult Black Eared. A good view of a Spanish Sparrow in a flock of House Sparrows was the best of the rest.

Even with the bus back home in the morning a good 28,000 step workout (well more of a long stroll)

27th am had a few errands this morning so really only managed a little time around the Garden area where I picked up a Hoopoe in a small orchard close by.

The afternoon I had enough time to walk the
Cadianda Road. The best bird was a single Ortolan Bunting that I know know are far less obliging than most Buntings. A Middle Spotted Woodpecker flew directly at me so close I am sure that I ducked …. A lesser Spotted Woodpecker tapped away from the inside of a telegraph pole, I checked the whole circumference and couldn’t find it but it continued to tap away right in front of me but completely out of sight . A nest pole I can keep an eye on over the next month.

A second sighting today of Hoopoe with one allowing me prolonged and fairly close views along a roadside verge.

I picked up the call of a Wryneck in the same stretch of road as the other day, and again couldn’t locate it amongst the many trees but a Kruipers Nuthatch did show instead. Yet another confiding Cretzschmars Bunting was the last notable species before I got home. The wife arrives in a few days so the birding will slow down a bit but we will have a car so will be able to venture out of the area a little. I will keep this thread updated the best I can

Attachments

• IMG_6795.jpeg
    IMG_6795.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6796.jpeg
    IMG_6796.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Well the holiday is over…. The wife arrives today 😉 however it allows me a morning birding in Koycegiz which is 30 minutes from the airport. Visiting last year with fellow forum member Paul (angusmecoatup) who had given me a whistle stop tour of the area gave me a few places to visit quickly.
Was really after a load of year ticks but managed a couple of Turkey life ticks as well

Starting off at the dump site got me a whole load of Western yellow wagtail, 9 confirmed individuals but there were certainly more around that I didn’t try to hard to see. Dead easy Turkey tick ✅ of course a lovely bird with loads of variations.
Next up from behind the dump a Purple heron flew up and over the trees that adjoin the dump, Turkey life tick ✅ number two. Two little ringed plover fed on the margins of the canal. I walked the Reed bed that borders the canal and quickly picked up Goldfinch a Little Egret and loads of calling Cettis Warbler while a single Reed Warbler showed well as did a Marsh Warbler. It’s at this point a car turned up and a bloke stripped down to his undies and waded into the canal with a net and proceeds to attempt to catch fish. for at least the next hour. I managed a lesser Whitethroat, Common Kingfisher and a Tree Pipit, unfortunately all the Yellow Wagtails had gone by now. I walked down the track that borders the long marsh but only managed a few Little Egrets, Great tit, Hooded crow, and calling Penduline Tit and Common Nightingale neither seen unfortunately.
Back at the dump a single Woodchat Shrike had appeared. In the field behind the dump a single Squacco Heron was pestered by a mob of Crows.
I moved on a mile or so and parked up at a location that had given previous good views of otter. Here were at least 5 more Woodchat Shrike and quite a few Zitting Cistcola. 3 Hoopoe and a common Whitethroat (I think). Following this path along orange groves on one side and a narrow sparsely vegetated Reed lined canal I managed a Spanish sparrow, Corn buntings and many Blackcaps.
I managed to flush a Water Rail and Pygmy cormorant from virtually under my feet while a single Whinchat sat on tall grasses near to the road again.
A quick return to the dump and canal got two Green sandpiper, Common Sandpiper and more guys trying to fish the canal that ensured most species had now been disturbed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back