• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

YLGs/CGs?, Bulgaria! (1 Viewer)

Collin

Hello,

Can you help me again?
What do you think - michahellis or cachinnans /note the posture/?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 22_09_2011_56.jpg
    22_09_2011_56.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 22_09_2011_59.jpg
    22_09_2011_59.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 22_09_2011_61.jpg
    22_09_2011_61.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 22_09_2011_62.jpg
    22_09_2011_62.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 22_09_2011_64.jpg
    22_09_2011_64.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 46
Five more pics:

Attachments

• 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 049.JPG
    049.JPG
    278.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 050.JPG
    050.JPG
    271.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 051.JPG
    051.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 052.JPG
    052.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 36
i'd agree with mäkpe, can't detect any cachinnans in these pics, eventually YLG can stand quite upright too. notice in the last pic the small amount of black on p8 (apparently p7 being the outermost fully grown one, p8 not yet fully grown, p9 just visible, p10 missing), typical of eastern michahellis, western types on average have more black even on p8.

Thank you, mäkpe and lou salomon,

But, can you see, that the flying birds are with less black on wing tips, even some have well defined pale /grey/ "tongues" into them?

that's what i tried to express with my previous post, colin. beware that black in wingtip is reduced now because the outer primaries are shed or growing. the mostly black p9 and p10 are not there. this serves for the little-black-much-white-impression, valid for all large gulls with black tips when they moult their outer primaries. p6-p8 are not relevant for upperwing tongues while the shed/growing p9 and p10 are! other features like general structure, head size and shape, bill shape, bright yellow legs, pale irides etc. help to ID these as YLG.

cheers

To my knowledge YLG is much more common than Caspian in Bulgaria, so it's the gull you should expect. Last June we searched and managed to find one Caspian Gull among dozens of YLs.

Steve

Probably, Steve. Don`t have any records in the central part of the country yet, but I don`t know how is the situation along the Black Sea coast and Danube river.

To my knowledge YLG is much more common than Caspian in Bulgaria, so it's the gull you should expect. Last June we searched and managed to find one Caspian Gull among dozens of YLs.

Steve

caspian is a regular migrant in good numbers at this time of year at the coast and on lower danube, but it is surprisingly hard to find among local YLG. they use to roost at certain lagunes at the coast or large lakes in good numbers while YLG can be found anywhere in suitable habitat.

I see, Lou. I`m afraid that here, in my area, we don`t have any suitable habitats for large numbers of gulls, just 1-2 big reservoirs and one big landfill, which I will check soon.

caspian is a regular migrant in good numbers at this time of year at the coast and on lower danube, but it is surprisingly hard to find among local YLG. they use to roost at certain lagunes at the coast or large lakes in good numbers while YLG can be found anywhere in suitable habitat.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back