• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

York 'Mealey' Redpoll (1 Viewer)

Martin Standley

Went for the Mealy Redpoll at York this morning and met fellow BF'ers Hotspur and Lawts (nice to meet you guys).
We watched the redpoll flock for about 3/4 of an hour and whilst there were a couple of interesting redpolls no one would call mealy for sure.
I've attached a some shots of one of the interesting birds, the last one is a lesser for comparison.
Does anybody have any views?

Attachments

• RP1.jpg
    RP1.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 155
  • RP2.jpg
    RP2.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 127
  • RP3.jpg
    RP3.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 171
  • RP4.jpg
    RP4.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 142
  • RP5.jpg
    RP5.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
66 views and no opinions, does nobody fancy profering some thoughts? For me I wouldn't stake my life on it or tick it but i feel its probably a grubby 1st-w mealy due to its apparent larger size than the Lesser (in the photos on the yorks thread), comparitively pale colour, braces, double wing bar and pale auricular coverts.

It's predominantly a grey bird, rather than the brown of Lesser. The underparts in pic 1 are quite startlingly white, and the upper breast looks clean pinky, without a brown wash. The rump appears to be much whiter than Lesser (but the pic ain't that clear). The double wingbars are rather narrow, which is the only thing putting me off a little, but on the whole I'd say it's a Mealy. Do you have any shots of UTCs? In pic 1 the branch obscures them.

I was at Langold Lake near Worksop, Notts last weekend and as I was leaving a bloke told me he had seen many redpoll and a few mealey redpoll up the right hand path of the lake. It was too late for me to go and look so I can't confirm it but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

It's predominantly a grey bird, rather than the brown of Lesser. The underparts in pic 1 are quite startlingly white, and the upper breast looks clean pinky, without a brown wash. The rump appears to be much whiter than Lesser (but the pic ain't that clear). The double wingbars are rather narrow, which is the only thing putting me off a little, but on the whole I'd say it's a Mealy. Do you have any shots of UTCs? In pic 1 the branch obscures them.

There are more photos on the Yorkshire Thread.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=61534&page=123

I have seen 6+ Hoary Redpolls this winter, and I would not feel comfortable calling this bird as such.
In my opinion, this bird shows too much streaking on the flanks and too brown a back, and what we can see of the UT covs is already quite streaky..
I cant really tell much from the rump shot, its kind of ambiguous.
The bill appears to be on the large side as well, although that may just be from posturing, although when it is fluffed up it should seem to be tiny.
However, it is within range, and perhaps not identifiable. Personally I am for Common, or 'Lesser' as I guess it is called across the pond.

Goshawk227, just to clarify, Hoary Redpoll is a different species (called Arctic Redpoll this side of the "pond"). Common (or Mealy) and Lesser are the species (recently split) above. Confusing isn't it!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back