• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (8 Viewers)

Pied Flys seem pretty reliable at Strid Wood at the moment, also got a very brief view of a Redstart up on the road and could have sworn I heard a Cuckoo (?). No Wood Warbler this year yet though.

Keith if you could pm me a very rough location for the Tawny Owl I would be very grateful, I haven't seen one there for ages.

Graeme

The tawny owl was seen last year at around 7.00am from the path to the Strid at a point roughly where the purple trail rejoins the main path. Looking uphill. We have had them in this area 2 years on the trot.

Going to work this evening, & without being too specific as to site, for obvious reasons, I had two displaying Short-eared owls over the moors.

Now seen on three consecutive journeys - views to two or three metres this morning. One displying high up this evening.

your lucky, none round wharfedale that i know of, looked a fair bit... used to be always on a few moors in that area.. keepers i fear, will not tolerate any predator...

It's the same here - whether they breed successfully remains to be seen - all the Buzzards have gone along with most other BOPs.

At old moor yesterday I saw a lesser black-backed gull take 3 black-headed gull chicks. The first one he gave to his mate, 5mins later he came back with another and ate it himself, 10mins after that he came back with another which his mate ate. After around another 20mins it came back with an egg which they both ate. Sounds cruel but I found it fascinating to watch.

At old moor yesterday I saw a lesser black-backed gull take 3 black-headed gull chicks. The first one he gave to his mate, 5mins later he came back with another and ate it himself, 10mins after that he came back with another which his mate ate. After around another 20mins it came back with an egg which they both ate. Sounds cruel but I found it fascinating to watch.

It's an annual thing at Old Moor .. The lessers normally nest on one of the islands on the Mere .. 'Death Island' as it's known, for obvious reasons ;) A couple of years ago they 'adopted' a blackhead chick which strayed close to the island and were feeding it on shreds of other blackhead chicks !!!

Thorne Moor.

I would like to take my first visit to Thorne Moors at some point but have been told that the parking at Moorend is a bit 'dodgy' .. I was told that access can also be from Crowle but it doesn't appear to be particularly close from what I can see on the map .. Could anyone offer any info with regard to the best way please? I'll be coming from Sheffield via the M18 ..

Thanks very much ..

I would like to take my first visit to Thorne Moors at some point but have been told that the parking at Moorend is a bit 'dodgy' .. I was told that access can also be from Crowle but it doesn't appear to be particularly close from what I can see on the map .. Could anyone offer any info with regard to the best way please? I'll be coming from Sheffield via the M18 ..

Thanks very much ..

It certainly looks dodgy, but I've parked in the sports ground or just outside many times & never had a problem, and neither have any of my clients who've parked there. The walk from Crowle is a lot further, and the walk to the raptor viewpoint & other interesting stuff is a lot further from there. There is no doubt that the Crowle car park is in a much nicer setting, and you aren't always worrying if your car is safe.

It certainly looks dodgy, but I've parked in the sports ground or just outside many times & never had a problem, and neither have any of my clients who've parked there. The walk from Crowle is a lot further, and the walk to the raptor viewpoint & other interesting stuff is a lot further from there. There is no doubt that the Crowle car park is in a much nicer setting, and you aren't always worrying if your car is safe.

I too park at the Thorne end of the moor and have never in sixteen years had any issues. By the way on my visit earlier this week five Hobby and displaying Marsh.plus if your coming off the motorway you will pass a handy little cafe that do a rather cheap breakfast, its by a small fishing lake on the right hand side of the road about half a Kilometer from the motorway. Enjoy.

Pied Flys seem pretty reliable at Strid Wood at the moment, also got a very brief view of a Redstart up on the road and could have sworn I heard a Cuckoo (?). No Wood Warbler this year yet though.

Keith if you could pm me a very rough location for the Tawny Owl I would be very grateful, I haven't seen one there for ages.

Graeme

There's been a cuckoo in the area for about a weeek and a half now. Most reliable place to catch sight of it is around the first farm on the left just after leaving Barden Bridge heading for the Strid. Look in the tall tree just by the farm house it perches in the very top branches. Its distant and once the leaves are fully out it wont be so visible. Last sunday I counted atleast 8 Pied flys, and Redstarts are there with patience. Like you not seen wood warbler this year yet with the emphasis on yet

There's been a cuckoo in the area for about a weeek and a half now. Most reliable place to catch sight of it is around the first farm on the left just after leaving Barden Bridge heading for the Strid. Look in the tall tree just by the farm house it perches in the very top branches. Its distant and once the leaves are fully out it wont be so visible. Last sunday I counted atleast 8 Pied flys, and Redstarts are there with patience. Like you not seen wood warbler this year yet with the emphasis on yet

On Saturday I was on the road and heard the cuckoo as I was passing the farmhouse but it was calling from way down by the river. On Tuesday I heard it again this time from the south side of the river when it was probably calling from the tree that you mention. :'D I'll have another go next week.

Hi guys, I'm going on a family trip in June, Blue Dolphin Scarborough, apart from the well known hot spots, Bempton, Flamborough head, are there any other sites worth a visit in the area, I am however using public transport but don't mind spending a hour or so traveling to get anywhere.

Damian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back