• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (3 Viewers)

Hello all, I will be visiting Yorshire a week from now and was wondering if you guys have any advice on good places to bird (I will be staying in Kettlewell).
Thanks in advance!

get yourself to the Strid Woods, Bolton Abbey and on to the tops of the surrounding moors, like Lower Barden reservoir.. these are just south of you 15minutes drive.. make the effort and go the crack of dawn to these places to maximise your chances of goodies...

get yourself to the Strid Woods, Bolton Abbey

Although you may want to avoid next Monday as my daughter's school year (Year 6, so aged 11) will be descending on Strid Woods for their geography field trip 3:)

Having said that, there are some cracking birds to be seen - On Saturday afternoon I saw more Redstarts than I've ever seen in the past.

Richard

Thank you for the responses. I was wondering, are there any spots that are particularly good for either dipper or red kite? Those are two species which I am particularly looking for while I am there.

Strid Wood really is excellent at the moment, there is still one young Tawney Owl to be seen, both flycatchers and loads of warblers including (finally) the elusive Wood Warbler. The photographers were out in force today on the top road where a Cuckoo was apparently showing well.

50th post - it's only taken eight years!

leven carrs

off to leven carrs this weekend first time can anyone give advice on where to search hope to try see some marsh harrier or owl species thanks

In reality how long would birds such as Pied Fly & Redstart be likely to remain in Strid Woods??

The weather for this weekend looks shocking & am unlikely to be able to get back there for another photo opportunity until next weekend.

Richard

Good question Richard. The following is from BTO Birdfacts;

Pied Fly, average date of first arrival 19/4, first clutch laid unknown, incubation 13-15 days, fledging 16-17 days.
Redstart, 5/4, first clutch 13/5 (2/5-7/6), 13-14d, 16-17d

Redstart is more likely to have a second brood but both should have fledging young any time now.

Pied Fly, average date of first arrival 19/4, first clutch laid unknown, incubation 13-15 days, fledging 16-17 days.

Redstart is more likely to have a second brood but both should have fledging young any time now.

In the past I've seen Redstarts on the Yorks Wolds fledge on 1st of June & we've come across 2nd brood chicks in mid-July, I think

Rob, other than it's been in gardens in the Moorends area but it's been picked up moving around with the local Starlings I can't add much detail.

Redstart and Pied Fly were showing very well in Strid Woods this morning, in spite of (or maybe because of) the shocking weather. The Pied Flys were very busy backwards and forward to the nest boxes. One Wood Warbler also put on a superb show for us at the Cavendish Pavilion end of the wood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back