• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (4 Viewers)

Wow Masked Shrike at Spurn plus OB Pipit and supporting casts of other good birds....will be back in the morning...http://www.dave59.com/?p=887

Got the run around from the OB pipit today which would have been a lifer but some great birds over the day.

Highlights included Masked shrike obviously, Barred warbler plucking a huge dragonfly out of the air, Spotted, Pied and RB flycatcher, Hen harrier and Jacksnipe.

Also blackcap, garden warbler, chiffchaff, redstart, whinchat and wheatear.

some from today

also had pectoral sandpiper,hawfinch,little stint and a peregrine taking out a curlew!!

Attachments

• sr1.jpg
    sr1.jpg
    614.5 KB · Views: 81
  • lo1.jpg
    lo1.jpg
    637.2 KB · Views: 89
  • c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    609.1 KB · Views: 85
  • btgcs1.jpg
    btgcs1.jpg
    581.9 KB · Views: 70
  • cs1.jpg
    cs1.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 66
A huge thank you to Dave (Waccoe) for the lift to Spurn today. The Masked Shrike performed admirably, especially later on when it approached to within 25m.

Gone a bit cold today Dave - other than the shrike and a couple of jack snipe there was little in the way of 'interesting' species, there was little in the way of any species except the normal waders out on the mud.

Gone a bit cold today Dave - other than the shrike and a couple of jack snipe there was little in the way of 'interesting' species, there was little in the way of any species except the normal waders out on the mud.

Water Rail in Canal Zone. 2 Redstarts either side of Masked Shrike, and a Pied Flycatcher in the Crown and Anchor after lunch time, but definitely a clear out since Friday.

East Yorkshire Newby

I'm due up to the north of the country this weekend dropping my daughter off at Uni for the first time. On the way back down I thought that I'd do a spot of birding and was thinking of trying East Yorkshire which I've not birded before. If the Masked Shrike is still around then that will be my main target but failing that I'm looking for suggestions as to where to go. Possibilities include Flamborough Head, Filey, Spurn etc. so any advice on which might be best would be most welcome. I'd also be keen to try a spot of east cost sea-watching so any advice as to specifically where the locals watch from would be most helpful.

TIA

Adam

Adam
Any one of the 3 spots named would be good in the right conditions. The sites listed below have sightings pages so take a look before you set off and decide closer to the time. The sites also have maps to guide you to the various locations.

Flamborough - try this SITE

Filey look HERE

Spurn look HERE

You could easily spend a whole day at any of these sites. Alternatively, Filey and Flamborough can be done together, but Spurn is more isolated on that sense. The masked shrike there was showing beautifully today - down to 20 yds at one point -

Frampton Marsh
Wakefield RSPB are running a coach trip to Frampton Marsh this Sunday 28th September. Departs Wakefield Northgate public car park at 8am. Leaving Frampton at 5 pm. Cost £15. A few seats still available. Should be excellent for waders and migrants. All welcome. Contact Paul on 01924 456352 for further details.

Arkengarthdale Black Grouse.

Hi chaps,

We are staying overnight in Askrigg later this month and I was wondering if it was worth our while going up to Arkengarthdale to look for the black grouse while we are in the area? Could anyone help out please with regard to if they are still in the area and if there's a good stopping off point to check from ..

Thanks in advance.

Dave Simmonite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back