• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (2 Viewers)

Spent the day in the Cleveland area and North Yorks. today. First stop was the Tees barage where the Yellow-legged Gull gave itself up easily (see pics on Birdguides). Jim if you go next week the best place to park yourself is actually by the barage. You can quickly get to either bank of the river then. Just keep checking the lamp posts - rather partial to pasta and hard-boiled eggs I'm told. It looked at my bread in disgust. Also a red-head Smew next door on Portrack Marsh.

Next stop was the RLB site for seconds this year. Perfect weather but no sign. My success rate is 1/3 there now. Just as I was leaving it had been seen briefly in Commondale next door but I'd run out of time. Clocked a Peregrine here, and the Skylarks are now up in song. Spring on the way!

Went to Cromford this AM (following info from Darren Ward), and scored with Hawfinch after three hours. I then went to Potteric and up to Fairburn for the rest of the day and everywhere I went I was just five minutes late. I was pretty fed up by the time I got home. Still the Hawfinches were greeat when I finally found them

Attachments

• h4.jpg
    h4.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 94
  • h3.jpg
    h3.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 58
  • h2.jpg
    h2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 78
Went to Cromford this AM (following info from Darren Ward), and scored with Hawfinch after three hours. I then went to Potteric and up to Fairburn for the rest of the day and everywhere I went I was just five minutes late. I was pretty fed up by the time I got home. Still the Hawfinches were greeat when I finally found them

Marcus, I too was pretty fed up with the RLB. This species never plays ball for me. Add to that they started burning the heather and the brilliant sunshine became a haze. I also left my memory card at home, so had just eleven shots on the camera memory for the YLG.

Also, to cap it just watched City lose 1-0 at home to Plymouth - 3 points above relegation. Ha ho!

I went out of county, +20 Bewick's Swan, Cattle Egret, Glossy Ibis, Water Pipit, 1 male 2 'Ringtail' Hen Harriers, 4 Barn Owl, 3 Short-eared Owls, lots of Twite & Snow Bunts, plus common stuff plus a Woodcock from the car on the way back to Leeds, Excellant stuff!! Oh and a cracking Fox at Worlaby..

Attachments

• DSCN7493bf.jpg
    DSCN7493bf.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 65
Did both local patches today, 9 miles 6 hours. Great fun loads of birds and some pics. Siskin flock down to about 20 birds but plenty of pairs knocking about as well, must be the sun. A couple of skeins of pink foot, one of 150 birds, In all 42 species within walking distance of home and I missed out on a couple of bankers.

Attachments

• siskin.JPG
    siskin.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Did the second part of the bird atlas yesterday, nice to have decent weather for it and recorded 30 species. Also saw a skein of around 150 pinkfeet which for me is a lifer. Don't travel much (unless by bike) so never go to the places they're found, either that or I just miss things.

Marcus, I too was pretty fed up with the RLB. This species never plays ball for me. Add to that they started burning the heather and the brilliant sunshine became a haze. I also left my memory card at home, so had just eleven shots on the camera memory for the YLG.

Also, to cap it just watched City lose 1-0 at home to Plymouth - 3 points above relegation. Ha ho!

The poor form contined today. 5 hours raptor watching produced just one female gos 'flopping' for around one minute at approximately 1/2 mile range. A year tick, but no pictures...(check out Dave's blog for how it should be done!)

East Park

Had a walk round the new birding Mecca known as East Park this morning.There wasn't anything unusual but the rising sun gave some great photo opportunities.

Attachments

• DSCN4394-2.jpg
    DSCN4394-2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN4372-2.jpg
    DSCN4372-2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN4315.jpg
    DSCN4315.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 53
Did the second part of the bird atlas yesterday, nice to have decent weather for it and recorded 30 species. Also saw a skein of around 150 pinkfeet which for me is a lifer. Don't travel much (unless by bike) so never go to the places they're found, either that or I just miss things.

Hi, also headed out to do one of my tetrads today, right in the middle of Ilkley Moor and I nearly stood on a Wheatear!! I've noted them breeding there before but to see one in Feb just seems mad. It flew into cover, but not far away so I followed for another look and sure enough a Wheatear. Apart from that a couple of Mpipits, Wrens, Corvids, Grouse, Stonechats (need to check if these were in my square) and a few Twite (nice) were my complete list.

Paul

EAST PARK Birding Mecca

hi martin nice pics! yeah east park is good mikejack82 go's all the time and i do a little bit too,was in there today took my little girl to feed the ducks/geese.
did you get to photo the Red Crested Pochard? i got a couple today but they were handheld cam only.

Attachments

• 2008_0210drewton00031.jpg
    2008_0210drewton00031.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 85
Spent the day over the bridge with John and James in search of Glossy Ibis, Cattle Egret and Hawfinch. A report can be found on the birding day thread if interested.

SAT/SUN BIRDING in Yorkshire

Myself and MIKEJACK82 Managed to have a good days birding on Saturday around filey area and Bempton RSPB etc,62 species in total..also 50 species around North Cave area today.

Blog to follow Monday hope ya like!

chris :t:

Blog Here...http://chavtwitchers.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
Was this a massive influx year for Siskins? Been seeing and hearing them everywhere, and had a peak count a couple of days ago of 46 in my garden - only ever had one flyover before this winter.

Too little birding of late - had a late afternoon over the bridge at Worlaby with 2 SEOs, 3 Barn Owls, and Hen Harrier en route elsewhere yesterday.

Last week I walked round Scar House and Angram Reservoir. Not only were there no Ravens up there - there were literally no birds at all except the Grouse on the walk - had more species in the car park. In four hours we never even saw a crow or a gull. Is this a sign of zealous keepering? Species list in full:

1 Dipper
1 Wren
30 Red Grouse
100 Siskin
2 Lesser Redpolls
2 Blue Tits
1 Ermine

finally got the waxwing in strensal, york. It must spend a lot of time actually in the small bushes in the gardens of littlethorpe close. it was showing well in the top of an alder and then again on a roof tv aerial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back