• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (85 Viewers)

marcus, are you going for some kind of record with your year list? What are you going to do for next year?

mark.

I am trying for 250. Staying north (and mainly local) in June/July coinciding with crap weather meant I missed a few 'easy' ones; Monty, Stone Curlew and nightjar (EDIT and Wykeham buzzards taking 4 visits!). However there are still quite a few bankers to come; bearded tit, curlew sand, little stint, and an east coast fall should do the rest for a new personal record (was 249). So next year I will have to go for 251!

Don't forget I spent a week in Scotland which bagged me about 15/20 years ticks tricky elsewhwere.

EDIT, plus it's actually 244 as I don't have surf scoter on the list from Dawlish this March. Just got double check everything else though!

Last edited:
I believe the Black Stork at Spurn, where I spent 12 hours yesterday, and about which Marcus has kindly texted me, means I really do now have a bogey bird.

Graham

was going for the GWE at Long Nab when negative news came back so had a bash at barmston - not a lot going on, a few common and sandwich terns, no Kentish Plover amongst the Ringos but some sum plum Sanderling and a sum plum RT Diver was a beaut about 50m offshore. Also a GC Grebe offshore which seems early. Called in at Hornsea on the way back for a few Little Gulls.

I am trying for 250. Staying north (and mainly local) in June/July coinciding with crap weather meant I missed a few 'easy' ones; Monty, Stone Curlew and nightjar (EDIT and Wykeham buzzards taking 4 visits!). However there are still quite a few bankers to come; bearded tit, curlew sand, little stint, and an east coast fall should do the rest for a new personal record (was 249). So next year I will have to go for 251!

Don't forget I spent a week in Scotland which bagged me about 15/20 years ticks tricky elsewhwere.

EDIT, plus it's actually 244 as I don't have surf scoter on the list from Dawlish this March. Just got double check everything else though!

what do you win if you succeed?

I believe the Black Stork at Spurn, where I spent 12 hours yesterday, and about which Marcus has kindly texted me, means I really do now have a bogey bird.

Graham

Guys correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand a bogey as missing a bird a time or two before it becomes one, mine was Franklin's Gull I have missed on 3 occasions over the years, but caught up with that this year, I only then had Killdeer (2 attempts) until dipping the Audouin's Gull last month...

Regards

Yeah thats right Darren, but I guess a bird can become a bogey if you intend to go see it and it keeps pushing off before you can.

Guys correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand a bogey as missing a bird a time or two before it becomes one, mine was Franklin's Gull I have missed on 3 occasions over the years, but caught up with that this year, I only then had Killdeer (2 attempts) until dipping the Audouin's Gull last month...

Regards

Graham had spent four days looking for them in Hungary. Then flying home for the bird to disappear from Cawood, then turning up the day after we were at Spurn. For someone who doesn't twitch much that must be as close as you can get to a bogey bird... don't talk to me about Audouin either Daz:-C

don't talk to me about Audouin either Daz:-C

Hey Marcus it wasn't that bad ~ try missing that Pechora in South Wales, appalling weather, longer drive, not many birds to watch allthough we did have Sibe Chiff & Spotted Sand (good year ticks) on the way home... But if we would have scored, it would have been a real scorcher!

PS I have those files thro tmrw..

Daz

Anyone know the gen on the Pom Skua at Old Moor? Not that I can get out of the office for it anyway, but wondering where it was headed...

Any suggestions for winter birding? Just got an email from travelodge, their winter sale starts tomorrow with rooms from £9. They have a hotel located this side of Kings Lynn which is nice for an evening drive down, a couple of drinks and North Norfolk on the doorstep for big geese flocks. (obviously this won't be at £9 but who knows). Anywhere else that may be accessible and of interest?

Any suggestions for winter birding? Just got an email from travelodge, their winter sale starts tomorrow with rooms from £9. They have a hotel located this side of Kings Lynn which is nice for an evening drive down, a couple of drinks and North Norfolk on the doorstep for big geese flocks. (obviously this won't be at £9 but who knows). Anywhere else that may be accessible and of interest?

Cockermouth for the lakes
Plenty round Newcastle for Northumberland etc
Great Yarmouth for the cranes
Hereford for Gigrin Red Kites
Bangor and Holyhead very well positioned

Wonder wether it willbe week nights or weekends on the discount...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back