• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (77 Viewers)

Thats a hefty lizard - i assume thats a pregnant female?

It’s just the way we stapled it to the fence to allow such close shots!

No, I think it was flattened to absorb as much sun in the late afternoon, although it may be pregnant. Picture was taken at the raptor watch point BTW.

Those swirly tree shots made me feel a little dizzy, maybe need to chill a little before looking at them again. A lot of good pics on the blog and a couple of familiar ones too.

Those swirly tree shots made me feel a little dizzy, maybe need to chill a little before looking at them again. A lot of good pics on the blog and a couple of familiar ones too.

Sorry Chris. That was the intention as I was trying to replicate how it feels constantly looking up into the canopy.

Best put a drug warning on the site ... :t:

A quiet day visiting Bretton and Old Moor and meeting up with old friends. The Kingfisher obliged again and Old Moor had Little Egret, Greenshank, Dunlin, Green and Common Sand , Peregrine as well as the usual suspects. A Water Rail put in an appearance at Broomhill along with a huggin of Snipe. Even though there is plenty of mud there is very little wader passage at the moment.

Attachments

• _DSD2222_Kingfisher_5.jpg
    _DSD2222_Kingfisher_5.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 56
  • _DSD2217_Kingfisher_3.jpg
    _DSD2217_Kingfisher_3.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 70
Second photo is an absolute cracker Den..... it's a posture that I have seen fleetingly but the first time I've ever been able to study it.
Thanks for posting it

The weather charts are starting to build for what may be an epic weekend. The winds blowing all the way from Siberia. I can get a pass for sunday, but am getting bozeyed Saturday night - is anyone else fancying it?

The winds have been steady East (for about 1000 miles) all week and the first serious band of Rain heads across the North sea Friday night

It could get silly - or there could be nothing;)

Attachments

• wind.jpg
    wind.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 53
  • rain.jpg
    rain.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 44
I'm headed for the coast this weekend - may go Saturday and stop over and you can catch me up Sunday? Depends how much work I get done tomorrow how early I head Saturday.

Any predictions on hot spots? Flam, Spurn or further north again?
#
Graham

I'm headed for the coast this weekend - may go Saturday and stop over and you can catch me up Sunday? Depends how much work I get done tomorrow how early I head Saturday.

Any predictions on hot spots? Flam, Spurn or further north again?
#
Graham

Given where the rain is then you would have to say the dump of beds should be wider, though the density of birds may not be as high. The winds are E/SE I don't know where is best on those conditions in Yorks.

The weather charts are starting to build for what may be an epic weekend. The winds blowing all the way from Siberia. I can get a pass for sunday, but am getting bozeyed Saturday night - is anyone else fancying it?

The winds have been steady East (for about 1000 miles) all week and the first serious band of Rain heads across the North sea Friday night

It could get silly - or there could be nothing;)

Hi Marcus

The weather does look promising but I think getting away to do some serious birding this weekend would be difficult. I am getting itchy feet now that autumn is upon us.

I thought they were vagrants dave? Marcus if your slow out the traps on sunday give me a buzz - im on nights but will be up and about by lunchtime and would be vvv interested in some migrant action in the pm.

If there is a fall, it looks like it should happen tonight and Saturday morning so Sunday could be a day to clear up and find some more stuff.

Last weekends September fall was the best in the NE since 1995, so they are worth making the effort for.

If there is a fall, it looks like it should happen tonight and Saturday morning so Sunday could be a day to clear up and find some more stuff.

Last weekends September fall was the best in the NE since 1995, so they are worth making the effort for.

easterlies look a bit light for anything spectacular. Weather has been ok for migration all week, and while there is poor visibility in the North Sea and east coast this weekend, it's unlikely that there'll be a huge blob of birds all moving at once and there's nothing to push them onto the East Coast and knacker them out. Should be a good spatter of migrants early doors before the fog lifts, but it's September so good passage and a few rarities is to be expected.

How are you comparing 'fall' events, Marcus? Number of rarities, number of all birds moving/grounded?

How are you comparing 'fall' events, Marcus? Number of rarities, number of all birds moving/grounded?

I'm regurgitating from a NE birder. In discussion I think he was using number of pied flies, redstarts and wilow warblers in Aug/Sept.

Where are your regular haunts KN? Would be great to meet you in person - are you coming on the seawatch?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back