• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (57 Viewers)

Three pictures from Blacktoft yesterday. I'm not sure I've labled them correctly, but I'm sure someone will put me right. I'm cr@p at waders and still have a hell of a lot to learn.

Richard

Attachments

• Little Ringed Plover.jpg
    Little Ringed Plover.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 116
  • Ruff.jpg
    Ruff.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Redshank.jpg
    Redshank.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 100
Three pictures from Blacktoft yesterday. I'm not sure I've labled them correctly, but I'm sure someone will put me right. I'm cr@p at waders and still have a hell of a lot to learn.

Richard

Hi Richard,

The 1st pic looks more like a juv Ringed Plover to me - white forehead extends right over the eye; and the 3rd pic is another Ruff. There is a lot of variation with the latter. A handy pocket guide is Peter Hayman & Rob Hume's "Birdwatcher's Pocket Guide to Birds of Britain & Europe". I think it has more plumage variations for its size than any other comparable guide. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Birdwatcher...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252000874&sr=1-1

Cheers

A short seawatch from 17.40 - 19.00 at flamboro produced a few bits and pieces but i missed the most interesting bits. A steady flow of manxies plus a couple of Arctic Skuas. 2 Sooties were called but I only managed brief views of 1. A Balearic snuck past without me laying eyes on it in showery weather, same with a pair of Little Terns. A single Common Scoter flew south. I managed an inelegant slide down the cliff face on the greasy path which gave everybody a laugh at my arrival. On the head itself 3 Swifts buzzed about with a single Whinchat on a fence post. Plenty of pipits passing through. Also a recently fledged party of Stonechat on Bay Brambles.

Last edited:
Flock of 50 Barnacle Geese circled 3 times over car park at a Kirby Misperton "value-for-money attraction" at lunchtime. Is there a feral flock in the area?

Just in case any of the 'Yorkshire Lads' are interested ?

RSPB Old Moor is featured on the National Lottery tomorrow night on BBC1 at 7:15pm. They are among the hopefulls in line for some dosh !!

Fingers crossed .....

Flock of 50 Barnacle Geese circled 3 times over car park at a Kirby Misperton "value-for-money attraction" at lunchtime. Is there a feral flock in the area?

Didn't there used to be a feral flock at Flamingoland in summer - the same ones that use(d) Hornsea Mere in winter?

Seawatch today at Flam - 1 Balearic Shear, c150 manxies, 6 sooties, c35 Arctics, c20 Bonxies, 1 Greenshank, 2 RT Diver, 10 Barwits, 1 Swift, 1 Tree Pipit, 5 Common Scoter, 2 Wigeon, 1 Knot.

Seawatch today at Flam - 1 Balearic Shear, c150 manxies, 6 sooties, c35 Arctics, c20 Bonxies, 1 Greenshank, 2 RT Diver, 10 Barwits, 1 Swift, 1 Tree Pipit, 5 Common Scoter, 2 Wigeon, 1 Knot.

James what were your seawatch times? I'm assuming you weren't there all day! Check out the numbers off Spurn today and my efforts off Hornsea tonight.

G

Jim and I went looking for Leaches out of county.

We started at New Brighton and after two hours of just an Arctic Skua we headed to Leasow, another blank we decided to go and look for some waders at Hoylake.

On arriving we looked over the sea wall and immediately jammed onto a juv Sabine's Gull at about 10 yards. A couple of others at the life boat station were on the bird and we put the news out.

It took over an hour for someone to turn up at which point we put them onto the bird and left. It showed well at times, and hopefully a consolation for anyone who missed other stuff. We didn't try for the Wilson's as the news was no one had connected from the Wirral side.

See there was plenty of East Yorks too, but not sure if it showed this well or would have made it onto our self found lists :t:

Attachments

• sab pro 800.jpg
    sab pro 800.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 74
Just in case any of the 'Yorkshire Lads' are interested ?

RSPB Old Moor is featured on the National Lottery tomorrow night on BBC1 at 7:15pm. They are among the hopefulls in line for some dosh !!

Fingers crossed .....

Just as an update .....

We won !!!!!

Many congratulations to all involved ...

Jim and I went looking for Leaches out of county.

We started at New Brighton and after two hours of just an Arctic Skua we headed to Leasow, another blank we decided to go and look for some waders at Hoylake.

On arriving we looked over the sea wall and immediately jammed onto a juv Sabine's Gull at about 10 yards. A couple of others at the life boat station were on the bird and we put the news out.

It took over an hour for someone to turn up at which point we put them onto the bird and left. It showed well at times, and hopefully a consolation for anyone who missed other stuff. We didn't try for the Wilson's as the news was no one had connected from the Wirral side.

See there was plenty of East Yorks too, but not sure if it showed this well or would have made it onto our self found lists :t:

very green. gonna be on flamboro head before 7 tomorrow

i reckon it will be good early doors as stuff re-orientates but 7-9 is the magic window seemingly. And there is an ortolan between the lighthouse and foghorn. Chance of both large shears as great was seen from the cruise and up to 3 Cory's were seen from the headland.

A couple of out of county insurance ticks for me in recent days. I connected with the American Black Tern at Farmoor - distinctive enough but the White-winged was smarter.

On Friday morning I got the Hooded Merg. As soon as the report said possible immature, I thought I'd bag it. I don't think it will get anywhere, but all you can do is see these birds. What I can say is it's acting wild enough, feeding alone distantly down dykes near the Port Clarence pool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back