• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (55 Viewers)

What's about?

Yorks today

Whitby: Hoopoe (3rd day) Biggin House Farm, Ugthorpe NZ801097
Scarborough: Greenish Warbler Scalby in 2nd cliff top gulley north of pond TA029920
Filey: Barred Warbler trapped and ringed at the NorthCliffe CP; also Lapland Bunting
Flamborough: Barred Warbler bay brambles; Yellow-brows Old Fall & Thornwick Bay
Skeffling: two Wrynecks in Hodgsons Meadow LNR
Easington: juv Woodchat Shrike (4th day) Sammy's Point still late afternoon
Kilnsea: ad male Red breasted Flycatcher (2nd day) @ Crown & Anchor car park
Spurn: Short toed Lark @ The Point then flew south; also Icterine Warbler, Red backed Shrike, Wryneck, Barred Warbler, Crossbill, Lapland Bunting & 3 Snow Buntings
Blacktoft: 6 Curlew Sands & Little Stint
Paull Holme Strays: 10 Little Egrets
Old Moor: 4 Curlew Sands on the main marsh
Wombwell Ings: Pectoral Sandpiper still present
Edderthorpe: ad Spotted Crake still on the flash
Potteric Carr: Bittern still on Piper Marsh, Spotted Redshank
Hatfield Moor: Black necked Grebe..not really news!
Nosterfield NR: Little Stint

Birdline North East 09068 700246 is 20 years old this week!

"news you can trust from the team that's still birding"

Phew, what a day at Spurn,
The highlight being, while waiting for a Lapland Bunting to show itself at the green beacon, the man, the legend Lee Evans wanders up, after a quick "any sign" he goes down to look on the beach, 2 minutes later he shouts "SHORT TOED LARK" Brilliant,

Not only that, the miserable get uses John's radio to broadcast the find to the nation. Must be worth a bob or two now.

Avatar for you John, a couple of dragonfly shots that don't look as good on here and remember the whinchat and the fly?

Attachments

• laplap0001.JPG
    laplap0001.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Dragon0001_1.JPG
    Dragon0001_1.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Dragon0001.jpg
    Dragon0001.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Red backed Shrike0001.JPG
    Red backed Shrike0001.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
How well is the crake showing? Having spent hours trying in vain for the recent one at Frampton may be able to manage a few hours tomorrow. Any advice/directions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Hugh

How well is the crake showing? Having spent hours trying in vain for the recent one at Frampton may be able to manage a few hours tomorrow. Any advice/directions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Hugh

I presume you mean the Edderthorpe one? When it shows it shows well, but you may be in for a wait. Best times, however, seem to be early morning and late afternoon/early evening - those that have turned up about lunchtime have waited hours.

If you wait at the bench it should show in one or the pools or channels in front of it. When I saw it it was in the pool just in front and to the right, at 7pm.

Here's a map I did for someone else - the directions to Wombwell will take you to a pectoral sandpiper at the moment too. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie...5612,-1.371231&spn=0.092614,0.307274&t=h&z=12

Well if I'd have been at Spurn this weekend I'd have had chance of at least 9 lifers... what does everyone reckon to my chances of at least some of the gooduns staying around until next Sunday (or new ones turning up)? RBF, wryneck, firecrest, common rosefinch and snow bunting are the ones that are particularly annoying me...

Well if I'd have been at Spurn this weekend I'd have had chance of at least 9 lifers... what does everyone reckon to my chances of at least some of the gooduns staying around until next Sunday (or new ones turning up)? RBF, wryneck, firecrest, common rosefinch and snow bunting are the ones that are particularly annoying me...

I think it'll be more likely that new ones turn up, and it'll depend on the weather between now & then! Don't get annoyed, just enjoy your visit next Sunday. Good luck!:t:

I think it'll be more likely that new ones turn up, and it'll depend on the weather between now & then! Don't get annoyed, just enjoy your visit next Sunday. Good luck!:t:

Don't worry, annoyance was a slight exaggeration! It's just my luck for the big fall to happen the week before I'm there... ;)

Not only that, the miserable get uses John's radio to broadcast the find to the nation. Must be worth a bob or two now.

Avatar for you John, a couple of dragonfly shots that don't look as good on here and remember the whinchat and the fly?

Hi Jim, the last photo is a red-backed Shrike - is it the one from the Point?
Andy

There was no big fall Pete, the birds were few and far between with quite a number of good birds. I probably around ten warblers all day, a walk along Beacon Lane revealed a dunnock, a redwing and a few tree sparrows. Sammy's point was odd in that the field next to the carpark had the Woodchat shrike, about six redstart, a spotted flycatcher and yellow wagtail while all the rest had considerably less.

Just keep your fingers crossed, even if the week is full of westerlies there is a chance of something good turning up as it filters down the country.

Hi Jim, the last photo is a red-backed Shrike - is it the one from the Point?
Andy

Yes. Full sequence below, went late afternoon after the crowds died down and got a bit of quality time.

Attachments

• rbs0005.JPG
    rbs0005.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 68
  • rbs0004.JPG
    rbs0004.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 48
  • rbs0003.JPG
    rbs0003.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 58
  • rbs0002.JPG
    rbs0002.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 54
  • rbs0001.JPG
    rbs0001.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Flamborough

old fall hedge, 3 common whitethroat, 2 goldcrest, 1 chiffchaff, skien of 60+ pinkfooted geese south at 2.30pm, flock of 65 mallard & 1 wigeon close inshore on the sea tween syke plantation and old fall, great skua back on the drilled field to the south of the lighthouse, 1 barn owl across lighthouse road

Went for the American Wigeon at Tophill. No show sadly but I did manage a flyover Greenshank and 4 Buzzards. This evening found a quality spot for Water Voles in Nafferton with two in 30 seconds both in full view and one was dead close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back