• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (2 Viewers)

Anyone have a copy of the 2006 Flamborough Ornithological Bird Report they'd be willing to part with or know where I could get a copy? A friend is after one.

Apparently they're out of stock. We were down there last week and I tried RSPB Bempton who had the 2005, 2007 and 2008 reports but not 2006. The local cafes and Tourist information centres had none.

Had a 'strange un' today as I was leaving work ..

On a grassed area at one side of the site I saw what appeared to be a magpie but there was no white on it at all ?

It was definitely the right size and shape for a magpie .. long-tailed and all that you would expect in this species .. I tried to get a little closer but it scarpered before I could manage it ..

Just wondering if anyone else has seen anything like this ?

Can anyone suggest a decent spot near leeds for a walk & a bit of birdwatching? We have some friends round this weekend but hoping to get out on sunday afternoon but it will need to be nearby. Thanks in advance :)

Can anyone suggest a decent spot near leeds for a walk & a bit of birdwatching? We have some friends round this weekend but hoping to get out on sunday afternoon but it will need to be nearby. Thanks in advance :)

How about Golden Acre Park & Adel Dams & Breary Marsh?

Richard

If in North Leeds, in addition to the suggestions already made, there is Eccup Reservoir and Moor, Harewood Park and Otley Chevin.
To the south, try Rodley Nature Reserve or Swillington Ings (with a walk along the canal possible at both these sites).

I'm currently writing up the 2009 Leeds Birdwatchers' Club (LBC) report. The first Report covered 1952/53, so the Leeds area has been well watched for almost 60 years. This year will be the first in that time when there has not been a single report of Turtle Dove. Other species just about hanging on to their annual status are Tree Pipit and Wood Warbler, with possibly only one pair of breeding Redstarts left. All four of these used to be regarded as common breeding birds, with for example some areas holding up to 20 pairs of Tree Pipit.
In contrast Green Woodpecker, Little Owl and Nuthatch for example used to be considered quite scarce (and Collared Dove was a mega in the first few reports). In 2009 we had breeding Avocet, 100+ reports of Marsh Harrier, Buzzard and Red Kite and plenty of Hobby and Peregrine sightings, all of which would have been unthinkable 50 years ago, so there are plusses to balance the minuses.
I have noticed that quite a few BF contributors give Leeds, or a location within the LBC recording area (which goes roughly from Rodley in the south west up to Otley in the north west, across to Tadcaster and down to Swillington Ings), as their location. If any of you have records for Leeds that you would like to contribute, please PM me.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Loiner what are you after, just general records of any birds spotted in the leeds area this year? I've just started my own list this year of birds i've seen, nothing impressive as yet but I always record locations, I live in drighlington near morley.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Loiner what are you after, just general records of any birds spotted in the leeds area this year? I've just started my own list this year of birds i've seen, nothing impressive as yet but I always record locations, I live in drighlington near morley.

Any records are useful, but particularly early or late dates for migrants, large counts of any species and breeding records. If you watch a particular area regularly even impressionns, e.g that X was late this year or the Y had a poor breeding season, are helpful. The report is forwarded to YNU so any particularly noteworthy sightings appear in the YNU report. I am intending putting as many sightings as possible onto the Bird Atlas database, so confirmed breeding, even of garden birds, is useful information.

Loiner what are you after, just general records of any birds spotted in the leeds area this year?

Typically local recorders want to know about - 1) breeding records, 2) migration patterns, 3) peak counts of flocks, 4) anything locally scarce or 5) birds in unusual locations.

If in doubt send it in.

Got back from a few days away to see the copy of the 2008 Yorkshire Bird Report on the doorstep. WOW!

The publication gets better every year - hats off to those who do it. Some of the sketches from Ray Scally are top notch. Some of the photos aren't bad either - Mr Flowers that is one special cuckoo!

Details on the website- http://www.ynu.org.uk/ - if you order in bulk for the seawatching meet and collect them in Flam you'll save on postage. Unless you are all organised already.

If you haven't sorted yourself out with a copy you should get together and sort it out, because if no one buys it this great publication may stop.

Details on the website- http://www.ynu.org.uk/ - if you order in bulk for the seawatching meet and collect them in Flam you'll save on postage. Unless you are all organised already.

If you haven't sorted yourself out with a copy you should get together and sort it out, because if no one buys it this great publication may stop.

I've been asked if I can possibly stand in for Marcus at the Skua cruise, (an impossible task, in reality), but please let me know if you want one & I'll bring one for you on the day. I think they're £10 this time,(£12 if you want one posting out) but will double check. It's more detailed than ever before, & as Marcus says most of the photos are top quality. Marcus has at least 9 top quality pics in there!!!

I just need to get myself a ticket for 11th of Sept!

Holly

Pleased to find and photograph this chap today. A difficult butterfly to find a location for, even though they aren't rare - rather nomadic.

The walk along the new path adjacent to the new road in Wetherby is a great butterfly walk now - loads of wild flowers. Plenty of ivy flowering which the Holly must have been attracted to.

Attachments

• Holly5.jpg
    Holly5.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 116
I've been asked if I can possibly stand in for Marcus at the Skua cruise, (an impossible task, in reality), but please let me know if you want one & I'll bring one for you on the day. I think they're £10 this time,(£12 if you want one posting out) but will double check. It's more detailed than ever before, & as Marcus says most of the photos are top quality. Marcus has at least 9 top quality pics in there!!!

I just need to get myself a ticket for 11th of Sept!

Put me down for one Mike. Sweaty little tenner stapled to my Cruise ticket as I post...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back