• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (71 Viewers)

GRIP BACK. Was cursing as scarce and rare started appearing as I left the county. I was up in the Moray firth and did alright (report on blog - photos to follow tomorrow). Got back on the train at 12.30 in York. Managed to get the WWBT - 276 Yorkshire, 310 UK plus an Avocet, 50 plus Little Gulls and the dodgiest Ruddy Shelduck you could imagine. My wife suggested a trip up to flam for the shrike & icky. Dipped both due to lack of scope with me but did see Whinchat & Spotted Flycatcher. Still have never seen Icky - how? That and Firecrest i swear just dont like me. Also a medium sized accipiter still hasnt resolved itself and I doubt will despite a record shot.

I was digiscoping last night, the light was great and i was getting a shutter speed of over 1/1000. My camera was fixed to the scope and I viewed the bird through the diopter so it was essentially like using a dslr and lens, I gambled on using manual operation of the shutter and fired off a load of shots any time it came near. these two were my best shots, i was quite chuffed when they came up on screen;)

Yes, good effort. Are the Little Gulls providing close views at rest?

Alrite fellas, planning a trip to East coast/Spurn next week. This week's fall of migrants has got me excited for the Autumn and I fancy a go at finding my own scarcities instead of twitching for a change! I'm pretty flexible with my day so I figured checking the winds would be sensible. Can I assume that with an East coast/Spurn visit I am hoping for winds from the E / SE and the stronger the better?

I have been using the following web address for my info. Anyone know how reliable this is or have any other sites they would recommend for wind directions?

http://magicseaweed.com/msw-surf-charts2.php?chart=1&res=750&type=wind&starttime=

Alrite fellas, planning a trip to East coast/Spurn next week. This week's fall of migrants has got me excited for the Autumn and I fancy a go at finding my own scarcities instead of twitching for a change! I'm pretty flexible with my day so I figured checking the winds would be sensible. Can I assume that with an East coast/Spurn visit I am hoping for winds from the E / SE and the stronger the better?

I have been using the following web address for my info. Anyone know how reliable this is or have any other sites they would recommend for wind directions?

http://magicseaweed.com/msw-surf-charts2.php?chart=1&res=750&type=wind&starttime=

I'll just warn you, I'm going a week on Saturday, so that'll be the day nothing's there! ;)

Yup, strong easterlies are what you're after. Things are looking distinctly westerly at the moment, though, but I never trust long-term forecasts...

Cheers Pete. I'll keep an eye on the short term forecasts as well then and hope for a change in wind. My record at Spurn isn't too bad so I'll try avoid a week on Saturday as I don't want any jinxes!

My only real dip there was the thrush nightingale in the churchyard. Can't remember if it was 08 or 09? Seem to remember bumping into Hotspur who had just dipped an icky down Beacon Lane?! Maybe wrong though.

I would have thought easterlies with a northern component in Autumn would be better than easterlies with a southern component. More migrants from Scandinavian blown off course - don't know for sure, but that's what I would expect.

Cheers Pete. I'll keep an eye on the short term forecasts as well then and hope for a change in wind. My record at Spurn isn't too bad so I'll try avoid a week on Saturday as I don't want any jinxes!

My only real dip there was the thrush nightingale in the churchyard. Can't remember if it was 08 or 09? Seem to remember bumping into Hotspur who had just dipped an icky down Beacon Lane?! Maybe wrong though.

Sounds right. Im usually dipping Icky's and I heard that sprosser but didnt see it. Was a Paddy Fly in the churchyard if i remember correctly.

On the dipping Icky theme - did that again today at flamboro as yesterday but at least I caught up with the Red-backed Shrike along with Reed Warbler, garden Warbler and plenty of Whitethroats and Willow Warblers.

Does anyone know if there's still a garganey hanging around Old Moor, and if so where its favourite lurking spot it?

EDIT - just looked on Old Moor sightings, and 3 juvs were reported at Wath Ings yesterday, plus a wood sand. Hope stuff hangs around for the weekend...

Last edited:
Flamborough

Red-backed Shrike showing well in the gorse field, a few Willow Warbler's, Chiffchaffs, Lesser and Common Whitethroats around, 2 Wheatear on the golf course, 1 male Stonechat in the brambles below the lighthouse,
RedBackedShrike002.jpg

Bit of a wader fest at Old Moor today - wood sand, green sand, ruff, black-tailed godwit greenshank, golden plover, snipe. No garganey but the wood sand was a lifer for me so not a bad morning!

Wheldrake Ings and others

Hi - At an otherwise very quiet and dried out Wheldrake Ings today, a Grasshopper Warbler in dense bushes just around the corner from the car park down the lane.
Also 7 female Goosander at Wetherby riverside (near car park) - been there for a couple of weeks now, were at Tadcaster before that. Also Red Kite over road to Thorp Arch (regular sightings around Tadcaster area, especially
A1/A64 junction, often a pair. )

regards
Michael

Flamborough

Barred Warbler at north marsh this morning, showing well at times, 2 Whinchat, 1 Whimbrel and 1 Hobby south, Red-backed Shrike showing very well in the brambles below the Lighthouse, 3 Stonechats there too, (1 male , 2 juveniles)
BarredWarbler008.jpg
BarredWarbler007.jpg
BarredWarbler012.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back