• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (70 Viewers)

Spurn today (Thursday) First bird was a Yellow Browed warbler in Easington Churchyard. Plenty of Redstarts, Wheatears, Whitethroats, Reed Buntings and Thrushes at Sammies Point along with a Spot Fly. About 8 Siskins, just in, tired and hungry outside the toilet block at Kilnsea were feeding away while we stood only feet away. Then brilliant views of the Great Grey Shrike at the gate to the point and a Brambling at the Warren. The hide at the canal had a Wheatear, a Willow Warbler and a Redstart all within 15ft of the hide at the same time. A couple of Goldcrests flitting in the bushes and what seemed like a million Robins every where you looked. A final trip to Canal hide turned up a very close Water Rail for a good 15 minutes and a couple of Redwing. Was hoping for a Rouzel but dipped. Can't have everything I suppose. Will be back on Saturday for more.

Spent time (like many others) at Spurn on Thursday huge movement of birds, particulary "Siskins & Redwings"

Attachments

• DSC_1219.jpg
    DSC_1219.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC_1277.jpg
    DSC_1277.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC_1285.jpg
    DSC_1285.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC_1354.jpg
    DSC_1354.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 96
A good afternoon at Spurn today, Stunning Views of a Barred Warbler at the Warren, where was the camera, in the car:-C Plenty of birds moving through the narrows, including a large number of Swallows.....

Attachments

• DSC_1398k.jpg
    DSC_1398k.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 78
Flamborough

Record pic i took of the Rustic Bunting late this afternoon
RusticBunting003.jpg

Nice day at Spurn, those shrikes were difficultto track down so well done David. Plenty about and lots of movement, some ridiculously tame snow buntings at the end.

Attachments

• IMG_1806_1.JPG
    IMG_1806_1.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 75
Details of Rustic Bunting and photos on my blog

Andy, nice photos.

I left at 3pm after trudging around the area all day!

I looked closely at several Reed Buntings across the road from St Davids Lane on the road to Thornwick bay, but I am sure the 4 birds I saw were all Reeds. Did the Rustic stay to the same area off St Davids Lane all the time you were there or was it mobile? And did it stay by itself or was it mingling with other buntings?

Just trying to eliminate any doubt that i did not see the bird.

Rustic Bunting still present in the same area this morning (its torrential rain here now though!!) also 1 Merlin , 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Barn Owl, and a mixed flock of Goldfinch and Linnet totalling 140 birds, the Bunting favours a hawthorn bush that is on the side of the big ditch that cuts across the field , the bird was also in the hedge up the side of Davids Lane too, it drops into the cover crop and spends long periods amongst the wild bird cover crop, there is supposed to be another organised flush at half ten, i dont no if it is still planned given the crappy weather now??

I am probably being a little naïve or ignorant here and will no doubt be shot down in flames, but I keep reading or hearing about an ever increasing amount of ‘organised flushes.’ The latest being the Rustic Bunting at Flamborough. If this is to catch & ring the bird for scientific reasons and to help us better understand the bird for conservation issues then I don’t really have a problem with this. If however a flush is being organised simply because a bird is not showing surely this breaks the Birdwatchers Code of Conduct. A tired and hungry vagrant blown off course surely should be left to its own devices?

From the Birdwatchers code:

“The welfare of birds must always come first.”

“Keep disturbance to a minimum…….avoid stress to tired migrants.”

“Do not harass tired migrants or vagrants. Act responsibly in a crowd and discourage flushing.”

We have all been frustrated by birds not showing, I was in Norfolk earlier this year and spent 2 – 3 hours trying to catch a glimpse of a Nightingale. It never showed but I did not feel the urge to unnecessarily disturb the bird in the hope it would fly out of the bush.

Am I alone in thinking this way??

I am probably being a little naïve or ignorant here and will no doubt be shot down in flames, but I keep reading or hearing about an ever increasing amount of ‘organised flushes.’ The latest being the Rustic Bunting at Flamborough. If this is to catch & ring the bird for scientific reasons and to help us better understand the bird for conservation issues then I don’t really have a problem with this. If however a flush is being organised simply because a bird is not showing surely this breaks the Birdwatchers Code of Conduct. A tired and hungry vagrant blown off course surely should be left to its own devices?

From the Birdwatchers code:

“The welfare of birds must always come first.”

“Keep disturbance to a minimum…….avoid stress to tired migrants.”

“Do not harass tired migrants or vagrants. Act responsibly in a crowd and discourage flushing.”

We have all been frustrated by birds not showing, I was in Norfolk earlier this year and spent 2 – 3 hours trying to catch a glimpse of a Nightingale. It never showed but I did not feel the urge to unnecessarily disturb the bird in the hope it would fly out of the bush.

Am I alone in thinking this way??

I am in total agreement with you there mate. However I don't think a lot of people here agree with us. As I have said before, some people are in it for wildlife on it's own terms and others are simply in it for ticks. Ticks care nothing for wildlife only a childish sense of "I am the greatest"

Another great day at Spurn yesterday. First stop was at Sammies which got loads of Wheatear, a few Redstarts, Reed Buntings everywhere, some Whitethroats and a Sprawk. Then onto the point in perfect time for the GG Shrike at post 56 giving some really close views. A couple who were sitting in their car with their backs to the bird were very grateful for the nod that it was just behind them. A Hobby flew past here too. Then on to the point which got us a pair of Ring Ouzels, a Brambling, Garden Warbler, some Redwings, and we were falling over Redstarts. A few Goldcrests in the hedges too helped to make a calm sunny day one of the best for a while.

Managed to post this on the wrong thread earlier. Anyone fancying a break from the birds can enjoy fishwatching at Stainforth Force. I saw fifteen salmon jumping the falls yesterday in ninety minutes, of which two made it and two had spectacular smashes into the rocks. The spectacle should last the rest of the month and is best after heavy rain (so tomorrow should be good)

On the way home there were two ruff and two snipe with the ducks and lapwings at Hellfield Flash despite the kids on quad bikes. While I didn't have time to check the floods at Long Preston there was already a lot of water which should pull in passage birds in the coming weeks. Perhaps a few Whoopers?

Graham

Users who are viewing this thread

Back