• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (2 Viewers)

Ilkley waxwings

Hi,
Went to Ilkley last Sunday, 7/11/10, and saw at least 100 waxwings along the Grove. Found a rowan? tree they were feeding on just above the Clark Foley centre where I could photograph them easily.
Andrew

Attachments

• Grove resident.jpg
    Grove resident.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 117
Rodley NR

Good stuff during the WeBS count at Rodley this morning.

Little Owl, Siskin, plenty of Redwing, and Willow Tit and Tree Sparrow on the feeders. Common and Black-headed Gull numbers building, brief view of a Water Rail, good views of Kingfisher (as Marcus pointed about above), Snipe, Goosander, increasing Wigeon and Gadwall, etc. Worth a visit.

And, I finally (after 11 years here) got Redwing on my garden list...

Nick

Went to Flambrough head today. First time I've been was a bit quite but I could imagine it being a brilliant site with all the gullys and copses in a fall. Unfourtunatly no sign of the Pallas's Warbler in Dane's Dyke.

Highlights were

1 brief flyover Waxwing over the Old Fall hedge.
3 Pink footed geese in field near Old Fall.
1 Barn Owl.
1 Woodcock on the road on way there early this morning.
2 Roe Deer that walked along just ahead of us for quite a while.
1 Male Blackcap in Dane's Dyke and several Chiffchaff.

I've just moved house recently and the new patch paid dividends very quickly on Saturday... walked on to Wharncliffe Chase and was looking at a couple of meadow pipits sat in a tree (uncharacteristically...) when I saw a pale bird with the vague jizz of a small bird of prey land in a birch a bit further up the path. I got it in the bins and my jaw dropped as I saw a pale grey bird, pale underparts, black mask, black wings, black flicking tail... a f***ing Great Grey Shrike!!! Hands literally shaking I failed miserably to get a picture before (in true shrike fashion) it somehow dipped out of view as if it had vanished into thin air.

Frustratingly it's never shown again to anyone (despite me and at least three other birders looking), and was possibly just passing through, especially as on Sunday the Chase was alive with the sound of nearby shotgun fire from game shooting and was also swarming with landrovers and foxhounds.

Last edited:
I'm from West Yorks and there are loads of good birding sites in Yorkshire. Old Moor at Barnsley/Rotherham is the best near to me, Fairburn Ings is a close second. A new feeding station at Old Moor has attracted a greater spotted woodpecker which makes frequent visits - I'll post a picture later. Old Moor has had a huge number of different waders throughout the summer - and 16 herons seen in one day! Fairburn has a kingfisher hide but I've not seen one yet. Other good spots are Blacktoft Sands (only been once) and Bempton Cliffs at Bridlington in the summer is out of this world for sea birds, particularly puffins, but both these are full day trips for me.

Potteric Carr at Donny is also reliable for kingfishers, under the bridge near the cafe or at Willow Pool hide. You've also got good chance of water rail and bittern this time of year, especially when the temperature drops.

Good stuff during the WeBS count at Rodley this morning.

Little Owl, Siskin, plenty of Redwing, and Willow Tit and Tree Sparrow on the feeders. Common and Black-headed Gull numbers building, brief view of a Water Rail, good views of Kingfisher (as Marcus pointed about above), Snipe, Goosander, increasing Wigeon and Gadwall, etc. Worth a visit.

And, I finally (after 11 years here) got Redwing on my garden list...

Nick

My WeBS counts yesterday were fairly productive too. I'd just started the count on the lake at Harewwod Park when I heard a croaking call behind me. I turned round and picked up a Raven flying towards me. It landed in a tree 20 yards away, called for about a minute then flew off. When I'd finished the count (Snow, Ross's, Barnacle and Egyptian Goose in with the Canadas) and set off back I heard the Raven again, more distantly, and picked it up in a tree from where it flew to another tree and settled next to another Raven. Could they be following the Buzzards out of the uplands and be about to colonise the lowlands?
In the late afternoon I set off for the Eccup Res. count and had only got a few yards down Goodrick Lane when I heard tinkling calls and looked to find a dopzen Waxwings in trees on the golf course.
Sightings like these certainly liven up 'routine' birding.

Nice one - wonder whether its the Barmston bird? Where was it?

It was at Kelk Beck, yesterday morning, approx 5 miles from Barmston. The tail feather tips appeared quite worn which might be a useful indicator. I'll put some better pics/info on my blog when I get chance.

It was at Kelk Beck, yesterday morning, approx 5 miles from Barmston. The tail feather tips appeared quite worn which might be a useful indicator. I'll put some better pics/info on my blog when I get chance.

Our views werent good enough to get it to individual - yours is definately 1st winter which is what we tentatively aged ours as.

Best time for birdwatching

This is just a fantastic time of year isnt it? No leaves on trees crisp clear days! Out on my local
Patch with flock of goldfinch

A pod of c20 Bottlenose Dolphins south past the cape this afternoon, had good views of them from thornwick bay, then up at the lighthouse as they past the fog horn station, birding wise this morn had 23 Fieldfare, 9 Redwing , 20 Siskin in off the sea, and a Waxwing over old fall hedge, Water Pipit at south landing too , along with 20 Rock Pipit's,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back