• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (11 Viewers)

Almost crashed the car driving along Street Lane when this little flock of beauties flew across my bows!
Quick right turn and I caught up with them on this roof. They had been drinking from the gutter, sadly took so long to get the phone out of it's slip case to access the camera I could only manage this shot before they high-tailed it.

68 Waxwings in Chapel Allerton park late this afternoon (4PM) were possibly the same flock. They'd cleared off by the time I'd been home and back for my bins. Also 100+ Redwings, 2 Fieldfare, 2 Mistle Thrush and 2 Grey Wagtails.

Graham

The birds were not very far from Allerton Grange school when I took the photo (at 2.00pm) so not too far away from you Graham. As they flew off towards the school and Lidgett Lane I reckon it probably was the same flock.

More on World Wetland Day from Wheldrake

I've put some more information on my blog about todays event at Wheldrake Ings in celebration of World Wetlands Day and the 40th anniversary of the Ramsar Convention, which included a visit from the Lord Mayor of York, the Rt Honourable Cllr. Susan Galloway.

Essentially, by showing movements of birds through ringing and satellite tracking it enables us to understand remarkable bird journeys that link communities across Europe and Africa, and bring home the importance of sharing responsibilities of bird conservation both at home and further afield.

I've included some data and photos on the blog about the Whimbrel tracking that was conducted at Wheldrake, this is a good example of showing how a number of countries can be involved in a single birds life.

There are several events planned at the nature reserve during the coming weekend.

Cheers, Andy

had 20+ waxwing on the leeds met sports campus yesterday, if anyone in leeds is still looking. no idea what access is like tho.

Does anyone know anymore detail about the claim of Coues at Fairburn yesterday, I found one there nearly 2 weeks ago, so was wondering if it was the same bird?

Sands lane GP
Ring billed gull showed from when i got there at 11 till about 11 :45 thanks to the birder for getting me on it when i got there
others birds
11 goosander 2 drakes
2 tufted duck
2 herring gull

raven over mirfield itself

... top day birding today over Hull way, teals, tufties, RLBuzzard (yay!), a bittern fly by and five SEO`s. nice... and a play on a 500mm ( YESSS!!) ... what could be better than that?!

=)

Attachments

• teals.jpg
    teals.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 72
  • coots2s.jpg
    coots2s.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 64
  • tufties.jpg
    tufties.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 58
  • swans.jpg
    swans.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 63
  • greylags.jpg
    greylags.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Lots of wildfowl at Wheldrake Ings this afternoon, (including Greylag's, Wigeon , Teal, Pintail, Shelduck, Shoveler, Goldeneye) Scanned the Gull roost fo a while but couldnt see the Glauc or Caspian Gull, lots of gulls coming in by about 3.30, had nice views of a Peregrine on the deck then in a dead tree for about 20 mins from the first hide, scattering the Gulls, Ducks and Lapwings now and again, but failing to make a kill, Big herd of about 40 or so Whooper Swans in a field tween North Duffield and Bubwith,

Redhouse

At least one survived!! Redpolls/siskins still on form...down on ground now...some nice images today...will post if demand..some are interesting birds...but guessing folk might be redpolled out by now.

Attachments

• goldcrest2.jpg
    goldcrest2.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 71
  • goldcrest3.jpg
    goldcrest3.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 62
  • goldcrest4.jpg
    goldcrest4.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 54
  • goldcrest5.jpg
    goldcrest5.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 60
well u asked!!

here are some from today

Attachments

• redpoll59.jpg
    redpoll59.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 74
  • redpoll60.jpg
    redpoll60.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 86
  • redpoll61.jpg
    redpoll61.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 75
  • redpoll62.jpg
    redpoll62.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 76
Forgot this one

interesting bird..mealy probably..again!
Dfficulty at this site is staying on birds long enough to get all the views required.
Will keep trying as long as they are here...its not exactly a hardship...they r gorgeous birds!!

Attachments

• redpoll63.jpg
    redpoll63.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 100
... top day birding today over Hull way, teals, tufties, RLBuzzard (yay!), a bittern fly by and five SEO`s. nice... and a play on a 500mm ( YESSS!!) ... what could be better than that?!

=)

Cracking shots.....feels somehow that spring might finally be around the corner!
Who will bag the first wheatear??

That for me is the first sign!!

Clare....you have an amazing talent with your camera!!!

Paul

I've put some more information on my blog about todays event at Wheldrake Ings in celebration of World Wetlands Day and the 40th anniversary of the Ramsar Convention,

I've included some data and photos on the blog about the Whimbrel tracking that was conducted at Wheldrake, this is a good example of showing how a number of countries can be involved in a single birds life.

There are several events planned at the nature reserve during the coming weekend.

Cheers, Andy

I've been working my way through some of the ringing data sent to me for World Wetland Day and have put the first half of the most interesting information on my blog, such as a Ruff seen in the LDV 3 times (2006, 2008 and 2009), aswell as being seen in The Netherlands, Norway and Sweden! Also a Peregrine ringed in Finland, found over 2000 km from its ringing site! There are many more interesting records too...

This information shows how vital ringing and re-sighting/re-capturing information is to understand bird movements - as well as showing how important the LDV is to many species throughout the year.

Cracking shots.....feels somehow that spring might finally be around the corner!
Who will bag the first wheatear??

That for me is the first sign!!

Clare....you have an amazing talent with your camera!!!

Paul

Thanks Paul, I just love taking my photos... I really should head over to Redhouse sometime soon. I have some friends that want me to go and see them... but all I want to do is take photos... how many times can I put them off.. =)

I drew the line yesterday at shooting mating swans. wrong.

...and yes, I meant the Redpolls. Unless theres something you want to show us...??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back