• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (5 Viewers)

Sorry for the typo, it's Turkey! Just down the coast from Lesvos which is swarming with 'em at the moment. Looked on Lesvosbirding 20 potential lifers in the last two days. Hoping for a fraction of that. Now, get back to your studies.

old moor today

wood sandpiper today on wader scrape at old moor today at 1310. redshank;) chased it and was seen at wombwell ings later this after noon

Ldv Stuff

A decent late afternoon linnets,wheatear,yellow wags etc....

all ruined by two very low flypasts

first Batman and Robin then the A team!!!!
Anybody got a rocket launcher?

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 48
  • c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 51
Having failed at dawn I tried again, from 7pm to dusk last night at Wheldrake, with no sign of the Blue-winged Teal sadly. 9 Whimbrel and a LRP was the best.
Nice views of the Black Tern at Hes at 1.30pm today.
Cheers
Jono

Hi all

I noted a single Red Kite drifting low south west over St James Hospital in Leeds at 3.30pm today. It was getting hassle from a carrion crow but gained height and headed over the city centre.

I know Harewood is not that far away but are sightings of these birds regular over leeds city centre?

Had a good day out in the dales today. I visited Horton-in-Ribblesdale, Malham and Grassington areas.

Wheatears are very common everywhere this spring and I noted Dippers feeding chicks in Horton.

Cheers

Gary Hobson

Hi all

I noted a single Red Kite drifting low south west over St James Hospital in Leeds at 3.30pm today. It was getting hassle from a carrion crow but gained height and headed over the city centre.

I know Harewood is not that far away but are sightings of these birds regular over leeds city centre?

Had a good day out in the dales today. I visited Horton-in-Ribblesdale, Malham and Grassington areas.

Wheatears are very common everywhere this spring and I noted Dippers feeding chicks in Horton.

Cheers

Gary Hobson

I have seen several close to the city centre on my way to and from work - e.g. Harehills area 9two together last week), plus at least one view right in the centre of Leeds.

Had a great evening at Mickletown Ings last night. Lots of willow warblers, reed warblers and a few whitethroat around. On the way back at least 3 grasshopper warblers were singing then, just as we were about to give up due to poor visibility, 2 hunting owls, their jizz and very "bright" appearance more like short-eared, although it was so dark I'd like to go back for a second look to be sure.

Could anyone out there reassure me?

Cracking day on Hes East today as already said I had Osprey and Black Tern, very quickly put together blog post with some shonky photos on it, link below.

Hi all

Cheers

Gary Hobson

I moved to Leeds in september... didn't see any red kites in the city centre for a while but have seen three over the past month, and I have been seeing up to four daily from my flat in Headingley in recent weeks, so they seem more visible at the moment...

I have seen several close to the city centre on my way to and from work - e.g. Harehills area 9two together last week), plus at least one view right in the centre of Leeds.

Steve

Thanks for the reply to my question on kites over Leeds. I'll keep an eye out for more of them from now on. Looking on google earth there are quite a few parks and open spaces in north east Leeds so there are potential feeding areas within the city bypass.

Regards

Gary Hobson (Notts Birder in exile)

I moved to Leeds in september... didn't see any red kites in the city centre for a while but have seen three over the past month, and I have been seeing up to four daily from my flat in Headingley in recent weeks, so they seem more visible at the moment...

Jonathan

Thanks for the reply. It must be the warm April weather? I've only seen them in Otley and Harewood areas until now.

Cheers

Had a great evening at Mickletown Ings last night. Lots of willow warblers, reed warblers and a few whitethroat around. On the way back at least 3 grasshopper warblers were singing then, just as we were about to give up due to poor visibility, 2 hunting owls, their jizz and very "bright" appearance more like short-eared, although it was so dark I'd like to go back for a second look to be sure.

Could anyone out there reassure me?

Hi Linda,
I think they are more likely to be Long-eared. Short-eared have been conspicuous by their absence this year.

Dave.

Want a species race? Where you going?

Species race is on...im on 74 after 2 days. Best inc Marbled Teal, Black Kite which is mega here, Gropper, 7 Herons, Purple Gall, White-headed Duck, a ton of Monty´s, Iberian Green Woodie, RC Pochard, Gull-billed Tern, Auduoins, Med & Slender-billed Gull and plenty more. Bustards and Sandgrouse tomorrow. In Alicante province although ustards are in Castilla La Mancha

Hi all

Cheers

Gary Hobson

Hi did you see the ring ouzels near malham, showing well,

Steve

Thanks for the reply to my question on kites over Leeds. I'll keep an eye out for more of them from now on. Looking on google earth there are quite a few parks and open spaces in north east Leeds so there are potential feeding areas within the city bypass.

Regards

try golden acre park, alsao whopper swans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back