• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (124 Viewers)

I don't know Hetchell well. Only visited once for a uni field trip in 1990, eep. My memories are of what would be described as 'high forest', i.e. big trees with little undergrowth. I assume the YWT are attempting to re-establish a more varied age structure.

Could anyone help with the ID of this Warbler, didn,t sing too much but did sound Chaffinchesq (if that's a word ) not any evidence of green in colouring which put me off Willow. Any help would be appreciated.

It's a Willow Warbler, David. Like Chaffinch they have a song which descends the scale, but it's much sweeter and higher-pitched. Like a flute, rather than a piano.

Another depressing post...

It's not just eggers to be aware of. I've put a post on my blog about some of the local problems at the minute. This involves thugs chasing ducklings about, birders stood on the roof of a hide causing disturbance to breeding birds and birders stood in the middle of a very sensitive location (this makes the dearly departed Mannix look like a saint!).

So in summary, maybe really consider releasing news of birds (rare or scarce) where there are potentially sensitve species present and potentially breeding. Not all birders have the same regard for birds as you'd hope.

Cheers, Andy

Hi Andy

tried to post comment on your blog, but due to IT probs failed. That pic of a bloke isn't me, but could easily have been. I was led to believe ok to wander down onto the site, staying away from obvious areas where birds were etc.
I think many York birders have seen this a decent birding spot for some time,not myself as i only discovered it through Tim and Ollie's posts, and may not be use to the idea of staying off site.

Don't know the guy in photo....but a month ago could have been me...didn't know any better!

I hope this all works out well for the birds....i sense your anger....but that guy might have been workinjg that patch for ages??Do u know the absolute details??Also...have seen dog walkers/students/runners in exact same area.

Its harsh to chastise someone when that is going on!

I couldn't make meeting last night....but I have been in touch with Tim and have offered my full support. Will help in any capacity I can.

As a full time family doc, free time is hard earned for me, but i will gladly help with any moves re Hes east.

Please don't take this as criticism, just feel there needs to be a bit of tongue holding,its not a wildlife site.Best bet in my opinion is

1) approach uni as has been suggested
2)stop reporting birds
3)lets put our own 'illegal' signs up saying no entry, it might put a few off.

4) Bugger! still haven't managed a gropper!!:-O

Cheers

Paul

ps I am on YOUR side !!!

Hi Doc,

They guy in the photo is a well known local birder. And yes he's been visiting the site for a while, the same as Tim and myself. Given that and his birding experience, he should have been in a position to see the situation and keep out of the area he was in, as both myself, Tim and many other birders have done.

In future it would be great if people could limit viewing over the east end of the site to the bus turning circle, Low Lane, and the car park at the top. these give more than good enough views over the area.

Don't this just make you sick,it seems any reserve is fair game to these b******** nowadays,not sure what the answer is.

I know what the answer is but I think we are to far gone as a society or even a species to actually do it.

In answer to your other question, it's out of county but there were 2 dotterel on pendle hill on both saturday and sunday this weekend.

Thanx Gary nice to know that when I dip it that it has been seen today.

Yeah I'm a realist, I always used to dip woodchat shrike in the UK, not anymore though!

Last edited:
The Woodchat was a little belter. Actively feeding along the fence in the Old Tip. Cheers Keith.:t: 3 or 4 Lesser Whitethroats along the hedge. Called in at Wykeham on the way back. Virtually a bird-free zone apart from 3 Crossbills that dropped into a larch at the edge of the watchpoint. Struggled to make my usual quota of 3 raptors until a Buzzard flew over the A64 ;)

Last edited:
Very obliging Gropper near the iron windmill at Wheldrake this afternoon, right out in full view. Curlew calling at the same time which made for a delightful duet. Plenty of sedge and the common warblers too, butterflies all over place. Also got lovely views of a stoat on the path who stopped to look at me for at least 10 secs. A great shame to see the trashed hide though.

I know what the answer is but I think we are to far gone as a society or even a species to actually do it.

In answer to your other question, it's out of county but there were 2 dotterel on pendle hill on both saturday and sunday this weekend.
Thanks for that info Trystan

trip home

Amazing what you see on the way home, willow warbler and chiff chaff (as usual) swallows, grey lags with chicks.my first sedge warbler was the highlight,cuckoo calling and plenty of sky larks, 3-4 snipe and mute swans, distant curlews getting fruity! and 2-3 blackcaps.

Attachments

• lw1.jpg
    lw1.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 31
  • c1a.jpg
    c1a.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 60
  • wh1a.jpg
    wh1a.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 45
Went to Hornsea Mere after work this afternoon, 3 Yellow Wagtails, 2 White Wagtails, several Pied Wagtails and had close views of the Blue Headed Wagtail thats been reported there this last few days, looks to me like its a Channel Wagtail though?? it also has a gammy right leg and spent a bit of time resting, but was also activley feeding

008-1.jpg

Regarding the hide at Wheldrake Ings - it maybe a consideration if the reserve is unmanned to consider a members-only key scheme like at YWT Staveley. There is the problem then of casual observers needing to buddy-up to use the hide or join YWT and potentially putting some people off birdwatching if it becomes inaccessible. TBC also have a members hide key scheme around the Teesmouth area.

Regarding the hide at Wheldrake Ings - it maybe a consideration if the reserve is unmanned to consider a members-only key scheme like at YWT Staveley. There is the problem then of casual observers needing to buddy-up to use the hide or join YWT and potentially putting some people off birdwatching if it becomes inaccessible. TBC also have a members hide key scheme around the Teesmouth area.

Fair point but I suspect there may be funding issues which require open access. I may well be wrong.

Back now, think I'll be conceding defeat, got about 90 odd species, no transport so all within walking distance of the hotel. Bright and clear weather didn't help, only had a couple of hours yesterday but a shower the night before turned up moustached warbler, whiskered tern and loads of Eastern Ollys - a bit more time would no doubt have produced greater rewards.

Still, about a dozen lifers including Chukar, Ruppels warbler, Yelkouan and masked shrike isn't bad and being sat 50 yards from a flock of Flamingoes was ace. Also had a STE on string, snaps to follow.

Last edited:
Back now, think I'll be conceding defeat, got about 90 odd species, no transport so all within walking distance of the hotel. Bright and clear weather didn't help, only had a couple of hours yesterday but a shower the night before turned up moustached warbler, whiskered tern and loads of Eastern Ollys - a bit more time would no doubt have produced greater rewards.

Still, about a dozen lifers including Chukar, Ruppels warbler, Yelkouan and masked shrike isn't bad and being sat 50 yards from a flock of Flamingoes was ace. Also had a STE on string, snaps to follow.

Sounds goo! Looking forward to the pics!

Went to Hornsea Mere after work this afternoon, 3 Yellow Wagtails, 2 White Wagtails, several Pied Wagtails and had close views of the Blue Headed Wagtail thats been reported there this last few days, looks to me like its a Channel Wagtail though?? it also has a gammy right leg and spent a bit of time resting, but was also activley feeding

008-1.jpg

make your mind up i've got it down as a flava, though my pics aren't going to help any on getting an id

Last edited:
Am thinking of getting the bus to filey in the morning. Ive not been there in 25 years!

When i get there where do i go for @the old tip@ ? Ive tried to find it on online maps, and i cant see anything.

help plz)

Am thinking of getting the bus to filey in the morning. Ive not been there in 25 years!

When i get there where do i go for @the old tip@ ? Ive tried to find it on online maps, and i cant see anything.

help plz)

Check out post 14736 on page 590 on this thread of the Forum for links to maps etc for the Old Tip.

Good luck

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back