• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (65 Viewers)

Got there a bit later and was a bit luckier than you Tony, walked around to the back pool and saw the Gropper then some commotion on the Car Park was caused by this bird feeding on Ants at the bottom of one of the large posts around the park (Excuse pics but I've only got a compact).
Cheers Joe ;)

Joe you jammy beggar, never mind the quality of the shot, you saw the bird. Its a lifetime ambition of mine to spot a Wryneck and I've never managed it. Good for you.
Dave

Crippling views of 1 of the 3 Groppers up at Bempton RSBP this morn, no sign of the Wryneck though, may go back up later on,
014.jpg

just back from ringing - lots of warblers about inlcuding Whitethroat and Lesser Whitethroat, a brief Wood Sandpiper which touched down on South Marsh West for 30 seconds (not seen by me), Swifts, a Cuckoo and some other visitors had a Hobby.

A good variety of waders at Swilly this morning (needed help finding some of them mind) with barwit, wood and common sandpipers, greenshank, whimbrel, ringed and little ringed plover, turnstone, dunlin, avocet, ruff, oystercatcher, redshank and many lapwings. With my first definite arctic terns and other year ticks of swift and garden warbler it was well worth the visit.

The Ring Ouzel was still in the cemetery at 6.45am seen by Andrew Tongue - just waiting to see if it has its evening wash & bath!

I thoroughly searched it between 7.45 and 9 am without success, plenty of Blackies tho. Which part was it in at 6.45, does it have a favoured area?

Richard

Barn owl was out a bit later tonight, as were the groppers and none of the other either...

Got the groppers tonight and a meadow pipit doing a very good tree pipit impersonation, 'parachuting' into a tree canopy. If it had kept it's mouth shut I'd have been totally fooled. No barn owls though, but we'd didn't stay very long, only an hour or so from 7.15.

Sleddale - Osprey flew NE at 12h20. 7-8 Wheatears, 1 Whinchat, 1 Oystercatcher plus Curlew, Lapwing, Meadow Pipit, Red Grouse and Kestrel. Also Redstart and Pied Fly when out and about.

Danby Beacon - no Dotterel today, only Red Grouse, Pheasant and Meadow Pipit. No Curlew or Golden Plover about which seems strange.

Yesterday's travels:

Nosterfield NR - 1 Knot, 1Black-tailed Godwit, 1 Med Gull, 2 Egyptian Geese plus Pinkfeet all around Main Lake plus usual stuff including Snipe, Redshank, Oyc, Lapwing, RP, LRP etc.

Lingham Lake - Hobby west at 12h39
3 Arctic Terns, 2 Yellow Wags, 1 Ruff, 1 Common Sand, possible White Wag/hybrid. Plus usual as per mid-week Inc LRP, Redshank, Avocet etc.

Got the groppers tonight and a meadow pipit doing a very good tree pipit impersonation, 'parachuting' into a tree canopy. If it had kept it's mouth shut I'd have been totally fooled. No barn owls though, but we'd didn't stay very long, only an hour or so from 7.15.

yeah i think i saw you in the distance, barns came out and flew up river tonight, however the other was present on the second meander again at 9..

red-backed shrike?? Flamborough 2/5/11

second pic added - again not good but having problems with getting stills off video on pc so having to use the tv and take a photo!

anyway thanks in advance

Hi - not very good pic (long story involving stills off video via the tv rather than the pc!
However these were seen in the gorse bushes in the ravine just off the top end of the north landing car park at Flamborough yesterday afternoon.

(I have more pics which I can upload later today if this would help anyone)

See what you think, they were in the tops of the gorse.

thanks in advance

Michael

Attachments

• bird 005 2.jpg
    bird 005 2.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 141
  • bird 003 3.jpg
    bird 003 3.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Hi - not very good pic (long story involving stills off video via the tv rather than the pc!
However these were seen in the gorse bushes in the ravine just off the top end of the north landing car park at Flamborough yesterday afternoon.

thanks in advance

Michael

Bit hard to tell from that photo, however there are quite a few of linnets around that ravine (Holmes Gut) so could be a pair?

thanks in advance

Michael

Look like whitethroat.

Fantastic early morning walk at Bolton Abbey yesterday. Lots of dipper activity at a number of different points between Barden Tower and the Cavendish Pavillion and excellent views of pied flycatcher and wood warbler right by the footpath in a couple of different locations either side of the river. Four drake mandarin and my first garden warblers of the year made it all very worthwhile! Dipped on redstart which was a pity but I suppose it is still quite early...

Good day at Bempton on Monday just a couple of snaps. Heard the Gropper, saw the Linnet but dipped on the Wryneck:cat:

Attachments

• Gannet copy1.jpg
    Gannet copy1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Whitethroat copy.jpg
    Whitethroat copy.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Redhouse

Bluebell woods stunning at moment.Had yellow wagtail and first lesser whitethroats today.Plenty of common whitethroat too.

Attachments

• pheasant1.jpg
    pheasant1.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 68
  • yellowwagtail7.jpg
    yellowwagtail7.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 53
  • whitethroat2.jpg
    whitethroat2.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 97

Users who are viewing this thread

Back