• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (84 Viewers)

I'm with you on this topic James. I enjoy reading about the birds that folks have seen in their garden as well as reading about the rare birds knocking about (can't bring myself to use the term 'rares') although I fully understand the reasons for opening another thread.

Expect cross-posts from me if I'm lucky enough to see anything of note

I see that the turtle doves at Fairburn seem to be in residence, judging by the number of sightings. I wonder if this is a recolonization of the site, or whether the birds have always been there, but just been inaccessible until the new footpath was opened. Does anyone have any insight into this? Whichever the answer is, I am very happy to know that this species is present just a few miles from my house; all my other turtle dove sightings have required reasonably significant driving!

Forgot to say - had a juvenile Little Egret at Tophill. Wonder where that came from?

A family party were apparently recorded there a week back. I had a look at the heronry a couple of times in spring but didn't see any egrets though it's not easy to view so they could easily have been hidden. Also, reports along the valley seemed to dry up in spring so either any breeding birds changed their habits or these recent ones are from further away. Intriguing.

fortunately it looks like the rare thread is dying already, they should be in here if they're in yorkshire, much better to have a one stop shop for all of yorkshires birds than be faffing about looking all over the place.
anything which is particularly rare gets it's own thread in the rare section anyway, so i can't see the point of yet another thread other than to dilute any discussion that might actually start

is there any news on the marsh sandpiper at blacktoft? rba has it last seen at midday scratch that 3.30:t:

Last edited:
I see that the turtle doves at Fairburn seem to be in residence, judging by the number of sightings. I wonder if this is a recolonization of the site, or whether the birds have always been there, but just been inaccessible until the new footpath was opened. Does anyone have any insight into this? Whichever the answer is, I am very happy to know that this species is present just a few miles from my house; all my other turtle dove sightings have required reasonably significant driving!

Mate of mine saw the TD's Sat as he walked the newly opened path. They were on Tel wires at the Fryston side of the river near a youth who had a high powered/'scope sights air rifle, who proceded to "put down" a Wood pigeon that fell fluttering into the river...............! :C
Joe

is there any news on the marsh sandpiper at blacktoft? rba has it last seen at midday scratch that 3.30:t:

Excellent views of the beauty, really elegant as it paraded side to side feeding in the pool, like a model on the Catwalk.....;)
The pic doesn't do it justice, a lovely bird but......? :t:
Joe

Attachments

• Not very good.JPG
    Not very good.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 106
What's this newly opened path at Fairburn?
According to the reserve reports latest one being from 2008 turtles are declining with last suspected breeding being in 2005.
Mate of mine saw the TD's Sat as he walked the newly opened path. They were on Tel wires at the Fryston side of the river near a youth who had a high powered/'scope sights air rifle, who proceded to "put down" a Wood pigeon that fell fluttering into the river...............! :C
Joe

What's this newly opened path at Fairburn?
According to the reserve reports latest one being from 2008 turtles are declining with last suspected breeding being in 2005.

no that new, runs from the corner where you would normally head off down the side of the lake towards the cut end and instead takes you down the lin dike end.

if that makes sense which it probably doesn't

The path runs along the river from the top of red shale road to the west end of the reserve. It has opened only recently. The TDs are present as described but can be elusive. They are certainly the longest-stayers on the reserve for years - tho' technically they aren't generally actually ON it! Redstarts ate also to be found along the path, having apparently bred.

Thanks folks.
I've been walking that path for ages, certainly since the mid 90's before the fence at the top of the hill went up. The locals have been walking the path for many many years so I imagine the RSPB must have seen the light about it and decided it wasn't any good trying to exclude people from it anymore.
Nice that the turtles are back on the reserve again, and redstarts are very good birds to have on the reserve as breeders.
no that new, runs from the corner where you would normally head off down the side of the lake towards the cut end and instead takes you down the lin dike end.

if that makes sense which it probably doesn't

The path runs along the river from the top of red shale road to the west end of the reserve. It has opened only recently. The TDs are present as described but can be elusive. They are certainly the longest-stayers on the reserve for years - tho' technically they aren't generally actually ON it! Redstarts ate also to be found along the path, having apparently bred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back