• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (73 Viewers)

And you found these birds yourself??I think not!!!
As far as I can ascertain, metcow333 has never claimed to be the finder of these birds, in fact he raises some extremely pertinent points regarding to the welfare of not only these wintering birds but also the welfare of other resident species which are also susceptible to disturbance. I can't quite fathom how been the finder would automatically allow one to decide who gets to see them and who doesn't, surely that is up to the landowner? There is certainly a degree of responsibility on any individual who takes it upon themselves to give out their precise location. I question whether this was even considered. The couple who gained permission to go inside the clay pigeon club did exactly the right thing and I'm sure no criticism was aimed their way. However there were other 'birders' who were walking on private land straight towards the roost site and this is the kind of neglectful behaviour that not only angers the landowners but also virtually guarantees the premature departure of these spectacular birds. These birds have been present for some considerable time but have decreased in number since their presence has been made public. The nature of SEO's means that all who want should be able to see them without too much difficulty. Furthermore my 8 year old son could get a good photo of these birds (and has done so) without having to stick a 500mm lens down their throats. Nuff said!!!

As far as I can ascertain, metcow333 has never claimed to be the finder of these birds, in fact he raises some extremely pertinent points regarding to the welfare of not only these wintering birds but also the welfare of other resident species which are also susceptible to disturbance. I can't quite fathom how been the finder would automatically allow one to decide who gets to see them and who doesn't, surely that is up to the landowner? There is certainly a degree of responsibility on any individual who takes it upon themselves to give out their precise location. I question whether this was even considered. The couple who gained permission to go inside the clay pigeon club did exactly the right thing and I'm sure no criticism was aimed their way. However there were other 'birders' who were walking on private land straight towards the roost site and this is the kind of neglectful behaviour that not only angers the landowners but also virtually guarantees the premature departure of these spectacular birds. These birds have been present for some considerable time but have decreased in number since their presence has been made public. The nature of SEO's means that all who want should be able to see them without too much difficulty. Furthermore my 8 year old son could get a good photo of these birds (and has done so) without having to stick a 500mm lens down their throats. Nuff said!!!

U r missing the whole point!Metcow advised re putting out info re these birds.He didn't find them.But he has seen them.Presumably u also didn't find them, as I happen to know who did!So you have been informed by somebody, is there a closet 'York' birders thing going on here?I for one will not be involved with that,its pure rubbish!!!Birders have a responsibility to behave,your children obviously enjoyed the owls,I haven't taken mine yet, because I have actually only visited twice!!

I think this is being blown out of all proportion, ridiculous !!These owls are wintering, will do their own thing.They are not and never will be breeding birds.I can't condone people walking across fields,just feel an awful lot of hypocrasy going on here.

You have York address,PM me if u r concerned, would like private conversation reguarding this matter!!

Paul

Noticed the ring billed gull reported at sand lane again. I called in last week to the area I saw it last year and it was completely flooded.

Where abouts is the bird being seen?

Over 40 Pintails were on flooded fields at Wighill Ings near Tadcaster at the weekend. I've seen up to 20 birds there in previous years once the Wharfe floods, but I not seen a single bird in that area otherwise. Where do they come from?

10 Waxwings showing well on and off today in the B&Q/ Halfords car park on seamer road scarborough today

Waxwings011edited.jpg

I`d really love to see yor Sons photos.. why don`t you put them up here. So lovely to get him involved at such a young age. :t:

Don`t quite think a 500mm would fit down a shorties throat tbh.

I have to say on the few instances of seeing SEOs, they have actually approached me and given me the once over before flying off to do whatever they wanted to do. One was being harassed by magpies and it flew straight to me and stayed close until the magpies lost their nerve.

Watched 3 SEO's over Leven Carrs a week ago. A rough shoot was in progress and the birds weren't the slightest bothered, in fact likely benefited from small mammals that were flushed.

Cattle Egret showing well feeding on the lawn of Easingwold Farm, Tophill Low this aft

CattleEgret002edited.jpg

Can anyone confirm how well the bird shows? Just wondering if you were lucky Andy with your shots in a short space of time, and generally it's distant or whether it shows well constantly.

I know I want it on a plate but seen plenty so only interested if it's giving itself up to the lens.

I have to pick my time in the field carefully.

Thanks

Can anyone confirm how well the bird shows? Just wondering if you were lucky Andy with your shots in a short space of time, and generally it's distant or whether it shows well constantly.

I know I want it on a plate but seen plenty so only interested if it's giving itself up to the lens.

Thanks

It's a pretty unpredictable bird. Turned up Hempholme a few days before New Years [although may have been around since 19/12]. Was checked out and photographed on the Thursday, but then not seen again by several birders in the next few days. Reported still there by the land owner this Tuesday and seen by several birder at close range there up to yesterday. Turned up along the approach road to Tophill Low NR at Easingwold Farm today where Andy got his gripping shots sometime today. Perversely the farmer claims to have seen it on+off for 3 days. It's birding Steve, nothing's predictable. I should be there tomorrow morning so I'll get the news out.

Last edited:
It's a pretty unpredictable bird. Turned up Hempholme a few days before New Years [although may have been around since 19/12]. Was checked out and photographed on the Thursday, but then then not seen again by several birders in the next few days. Reported still there by the land owner this Tuesday and seen by several birder at close range there up to yesterday. Turned along the approach road to Tophill Low NR at Easingwold Farm today where Andy got his gripping shots sometime today. Perversely the farmer claims to have seen it on+off for 3 days. It's birding Steve, nothing's predictable. I should be there tomorrow morning so I'll get the news out.

Cheers. I can remember the New Mills one and the Martin Mere one both showed well - same field every day - no camera back then. I'll see if it settles down. Also just remembered light going to be poor over there tommoz.

Just got some info from Richard Hampshire at Tophill Low NR. Fox hunt and shoot on the east side of the R.Hull may have effected the Egrets behavour. Was seen flying in from the direction of Hempholme c11am, also flew at least once from Easingwold Farm and circled O res. As I say, it's birding....

Last edited:

Thanks

While the Egret was on the farmers lawn this afternoon it wasnt bothered by our presence at all (just myself and 3 others) it kept doing a circuit of the lawn feeding merrily on worms, down to about 30ft or so from us at times

Last edited:
Thank God I got the Fairburn bird.... one of the easiest birds I've ever twitched.
Stopped the car, window down, bins up, hello cattle egret, window up, let's go to work!

2w Iceland Gull and 1w Caspian Gull at Wheldrake Ings in the roost tonight per Tim Jones.

11 Dunlin, 1 Ruff, 2 Gadwall, 7 Wigeon on a tiny bit of unfrozen water at Church Ings, near Acaster Malbis this arvo. All common stuff, but pretty scarce on the Ouse near York.

Cheers,
Jono

Users who are viewing this thread

Back