• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (6 Viewers)

It was unusual as they weren't very high (25-30m) and flying quite slowly over busy traffic. From a distance I was just expecting them to be cormorants due to the colour but it became obvious that they were not as I got a little closer. They didn't have the V shape when not flapping though I suppose at that height they probably wouldn't and the tail seemed quite narrow as well as long. Whatever they were they were out of place that's for sure and I should really have tried to follow them for a while.

Am going to take my first trip to Wykeham this coming Friday to try for a honey buzzard but would like to try for the turtle doves at the tree nurseries too .. Can anyone help with directions please on how to find the nurseries from the raptor viewpoint car park .. Also, is there any particular area when I reach the nurseries that I need to look ..

Thanks very much ...

Dave.

Am going to take my first trip to Wykeham this coming Friday to try for a honey buzzard but would like to try for the turtle doves at the tree nurseries too .. Can anyone help with directions please on how to find the nurseries from the raptor viewpoint car park .. Also, is there any particular area when I reach the nurseries that I need to look ..

Thanks very much ...

Dave.

Hi Dave
Nurseries are just up from raptor view point,walkable,leave car parked.Not sure whether Turtle doves showing well this year, but don't fret,if you go ,other birders will be there and point u in right direction.

I went a month ago,TDs heard but I didn't connect!No HBs either,but was early.Year before,amazing views of both!Not sure what latest is.....but the old saying still holds true!

If u don't have a ticket......

Hope u get results!

Hi Dave
Nurseries are just up from raptor view point,walkable,leave car parked.Not sure whether Turtle doves showing well this year, but don't fret,if you go ,other birders will be there and point u in right direction.

I went a month ago,TDs heard but I didn't connect!No HBs either,but was early.Year before,amazing views of both!Not sure what latest is.....but the old saying still holds true!

If u don't have a ticket......

Hope u get results!

We went last Saturday late on in the day. Took us a while to find turtle dove but did view one on road down past nursery, high in tree. Heard it before we saw it.

Has there been many sightings this year of HB at Wykeham, i went myself a few wks back but weather was terrible, did get a raptor sighting but to foggy to get a proper id, almost certain it was a Goshawk though after a bit of research and 1 was seen by others the same morning, going back in a week to try for the TD but would love to get the HB or a 100% id of the gos because carnt get that tick unless i no for sure. :)

Slightly concerning to read that only 2 months after opening up the car park & visitor centre at St Aidan's, the RSPB have closed it for the foreseeable future due to UK Coal going into administration.
The concerns being the uncertainty of how long the official handover of the site from UK Coal to Leeds City Council will now take.
I'm not sure on the implications that the administrators will have in terms of how the land is handed over, but will all previous agreements still stand, or potentially could someone else effectively buy the land from the administrators?
Because the value of the land in terms of development is practically nil, I would have thought that nothing will change.
I hope the administrators would want to sign the contract and get the site off the books as soon as possible to reduce any expense that ownership of the land may have, but I have no idea whether it is costing UK Coal or whether indeed it is a saleable asset.

Has there been many sightings this year of HB at Wykeham, i went myself a few wks back but weather was terrible, did get a raptor sighting but to foggy to get a proper id, almost certain it was a Goshawk though after a bit of research and 1 was seen by others the same morning, going back in a week to try for the TD but would love to get the HB or a 100% id of the gos because carnt get that tick unless i no for sure. :)

To my knowledge the only sightings of HB this season was on or about the 31st of May. I myself have visited 6 times and for the first time in many years not one sighting. Better this came from someone local to the area but I believe they have settled well away from Troutsdale. If anyone can shed any light on this it would be greatly welcomed. Many people travel a great many miles for these birds and if they have no chance of seeing them, well.

Anyone know anything about the night heron at old moor, seems to get reported in the mornings from the night before, is the reserve open late, whats the best chance to see it?

Anyone know anything about the night heron at old moor, seems to get reported in the mornings from the night before, is the reserve open late, whats the best chance to see it?

Hi

As you say, most reports are from the next morning because it usually get's seen after 9:30, and is very unpredictable when it is. It has been seen on and off for probably nearly two months now, but has only been pinned down on several evenings. I'm not sure whether the site is still open after hours, maybe give them a ring? To keep up to date you might want to visit http://barnsleybirds.blogspot.co.uk/, but as I've said, there really is no way of predicting this bird!!!

Hope that helps.

Dan: http://danielsbirdingblog.blogspot.co.uk/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back