• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (9 Viewers)

Patch Tick!

wELL NOT AS EXCITING AS 2 BARRED XBILLS,but this Redstart today at Poppleton is a good bird for York area;well chuffed.

Attachments

• redstart1.jpg
    redstart1.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 140
Nine Two-barreds including a male reported today!

We got there about 10.30 this morning and had various small parties of Crossbills going over, but we had to wait a couple of hours before a small party including the stunning adult male arrived in a nearby larch. Who knows how many there are down there?

This might be a stupid question but because I'm a technophobe I need a bit of advice.
Is there anywhere to convert ordnance survey references into grid references (north & westings).
Some people when giving advice put the OS reference eg PT123456. Or does that go into a standard tomtom sat-nav. I usually only put in the northings & westings

We got there about 10.30 this morning and had various small parties of Crossbills going over, but we had to wait a couple of hours before a small party including the stunning adult male arrived in a nearby larch. Who knows how many there are down there?

Here's my iPhone scoped attempt, unfortunately not the male :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 117
Saw a few lost people today at Broomhead Res... Some people were thinking the clearing is actually in the woods surrounding the res - it's actually on the other side of the road.

If anyone's having trouble locating the clearing, go to where most people have been parking at the end of Allas Dike Lane (an unmarked footpath), go up the path and take the first left. Follow this for a bit (following the stream and then a bit further), and turn right into the clearing. If there's some feeders and loads of birders in it, you're in the right one!

Male showing well this afternoon as well as female lots of commons about too hard to photo as the trees are high and the birds seem to be keeping high one or too there with long lens must have some stunning photos :t:

Does anyone know much about the Old Moor Night Heron? Do I take it it's only ever really seen going to roost? If so what time's it doing this, and where is it seen from?

Does anyone know much about the Old Moor Night Heron? Do I take it it's only ever really seen going to roost? If so what time's it doing this, and where is it seen from?

Reported at Wath Ings this evening, but from what I gather there's no guarantee to see it. It's been reported on some afternoons but the majority of reports are evening so I presume when going to roost. The problem is the reserve shuts at 8 an I don't know if there is any access after this time or what off site parking is like.
There was mention of an 'old cuckoo' tree which its been seen a few times in.
Can't help any further

Saw a few lost people today at Broomhead Res... Some people were thinking the clearing is actually in the woods surrounding the res - it's actually on the other side of the road.

If anyone's having trouble locating the clearing, go to where most people have been parking at the end of Allas Dike Lane (an unmarked footpath), go up the path and take the first left. Follow this for a bit (following the stream and then a bit further), and turn right into the clearing. If there's some feeders and loads of birders in it, you're in the right one!

Alternatively, continue past the unmarked footpath which is gated, towards the next right turn which is signposted "Low Bradfield". Park in the vicinity of the junction and walk up the "Low Bradfield" road to the gates at the other end of the track. Through the gates to the clearing, on the left, is about 150 metres, a bit shorter distance than the route described above

Mike S

Hi Pete,

The night heron is very hit and miss mate, i saw it at 7:50 one night as it sat in full view in the 'Cuckoo Tree' to the rear of the Mere and then one afternoon just after 2pm as it flew in from the Direction of Bolton Ings and settled in the base of the same tree. Some guys have had it sitting in full view on the top of the floodbank if they have happened to be there when it's popped up .. It was seen today by an RSPB work party as it was roosting at the reedbeds but unfortunately it was out of view of the visiting public .. Seen again tonight on Wath Ings although no time of the sighting was reported. I can only suggest that you keep trying your luck whenever you are able to visit later on in the day .. As I say, it's very hit and miss and there are quite a few guys who have put in a fair few hours and still haven't managed to connect with it .. You can either sit in the LH end of the Wath Ings hide so that you are able to scan to the left across to the Cuckoo Tree as well as watching Wath Ings itself or you can sit in the Wader Scrape hide and scan over to the Cuckoo Tree/reedbed area and hope that you either see it there or catch it flying in from Wath Ings .. I'm not aware of any specific patterns or times that have become apparent while it's been present so it's very much a case of luck I'm afraid .. A good place to check is the Barnsley Bird Sightings Website as there are daily updates on there which will always report on the bird if it has been seen..

Hi Pete,

The night heron is very hit and miss mate, i saw it at 7:50 one night as it sat in full view in the 'Cuckoo Tree' to the rear of the Mere and then one afternoon just after 2pm as it flew in from the Direction of Bolton Ings and settled in the base of the same tree. Some guys have had it sitting in full view on the top of the floodbank if they have happened to be there when it's popped up .. It was seen today by an RSPB work party as it was roosting at the reedbeds but unfortunately it was out of view of the visiting public .. Seen again tonight on Wath Ings although no time of the sighting was reported. I can only suggest that you keep trying your luck whenever you are able to visit later on in the day .. As I say, it's very hit and miss and there are quite a few guys who have put in a fair few hours and still haven't managed to connect with it .. You can either sit in the LH end of the Wath Ings hide so that you are able to scan to the left across to the Cuckoo Tree as well as watching Wath Ings itself or you can sit in the Wader Scrape hide and scan over to the Cuckoo Tree/reedbed area and hope that you either see it there or catch it flying in from Wath Ings .. I'm not aware of any specific patterns or times that have become apparent while it's been present so it's very much a case of luck I'm afraid .. A good place to check is the Barnsley Bird Sightings Website as there are daily updates on there which will always report on the bird if it has been seen..

"Lifted" from the Barnsley bird sightings blog,

Wath Coot16 August 2013 22:47
Flew into willows on Main Marsh at 20.15 from Reed-beds, then showed very well feeding out in open until 21.05 when it flew off towards Bolton Ings. Hopefully as WIM Man predicted the lower water levels on the Main Marsh will be more to its liking.
Spoonbill & at least 8 or 9 Little Egret present at dusk.

Website can be viewed here http://http://barnsleybirds.blogspot.co.uk/

Last edited:
Two barred crossbill this morning, a couple of frustrating silhouette flyovers before excellent views of 3 including the male very briefly with a large flock of common crossbills.

Relief after two failed attempts before and after work during the week.

Normally essex but now in n yorks for a week.

Danby- just wow.

1st dipper ever
1st treecreeper ever x4
1st nuthatch ever

As well as song thrush, mistle thrush, wrens etc...

Great place!

This might be a stupid question but because I'm a technophobe I need a bit of advice.
Is there anywhere to convert ordnance survey references into grid references (north & westings).
Some people when giving advice put the OS reference eg PT123456. Or does that go into a standard tomtom sat-nav. I usually only put in the northings & westings

If you don't include the grid letters the grid ref will recur every 100 kilometres.

Have a look at the OS website, this is a useful summary or try this

Last edited:
Does anyone know how regularly the Monty's is being seen at Blacktoft? Is it ever seen in the afternoon, or only in the morning and late evening?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back