• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (74 Viewers)

Got the Bluetail this afternoon. It showed well at times, but was awkward as it was highly mobile, partly due to Robins, and partly due to numpties with big lenses spooking it and shouting at the top of their voices. Glad to see it had been refound before dark as it had gone missing for a while late afternoon. Tried to see Graham (Bitterntwisted) as I knew he was going but couldn't clock him.

Also at the Bluetail this afternoon and got relatively good views of the bird. Could have happily shot the Robin that kept harrassing the Bluetail and limiting the time it spent in one place.
Not sure how I managed to miss the rest of you. Thinking about it I was probably there before and had left by 2pm.

Apparently some Lapland Bunting proving elusive on top of the cliffs.

Got a very handsome, fresh-winter-plumaged adult Lapland Bunting to 10 feet using a commando style approach in the first stubble field north of Totem pole field. Didn't see the Slav but the light had gone really by the time I got to the Brigg. Did see the long-tailed duck which is, presumably, last winters first-year bird, now all growed up into a young lady.

And the Bluetail is really cute. Still at least one YBW there as well. There was also, apparently, a Barred Warbler in Bay Brambles but thought sunset at the Brigg preferable to staring at bushes, dude that I am. Sorry I missed you, Lawts - did see Birdieboy among others.

Your day sounds superb, Marcus. Those Mandarin calls are wierd, aren't they? Hope the Bluetail is still there for you tomorrow

Graham

Was surprised to see two Collared Doves feeding a couple of youngsters in the nest this morning, thought all the young would be self feeding at this time of year, shows how wrong I can be, anyone know when they stop breeding?, if ever!
pete

Spent Sunday morning at Filey, clocked the Slav and Long Tailed Duck and then went up and watched the laps in the County park.

Thought I may as well go and see the RFB at Flamborough so went and saw that ;)

PS Graham going commando - now there's a thought

Attachments

• ltd.jpg
    ltd.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 100
  • lapland.jpg
    lapland.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 106
  • rfbl.jpg
    rfbl.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 104
  • rfbbush.jpg
    rfbbush.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 112
When I asked if you had any photos, Marcus, you said yes but poor ones of the RFB, they look pretty good to me....where these shot with a 400mm lens?
dave

When I asked if you had any photos, Marcus, you said yes but poor ones of the RFB, they look pretty good to me....where these shot with a 400mm lens?
dave

Oh Dave was that you?? I didn't recognise you at all from the BFly. You must have thought I was really rude!

I only have one lens so yeah they are all taken with the 100-400, and they were handheld.

Did a patch walk on Sunday and noted a few Redwings had arrived, this morning there's loads!! Winds switching to Southerlies overnight hopefully holding up some progress for a good day at Flamborough tomorrow.

PS Low tide at about 0800, thats a start in Filey I think.

Last edited:
I have just secured a pass for Sunday, this weekend is going to be good I can feel it. If anyone is interested let me know.
I could be up for it Marcus....will need to ask 'er indoors but as I've been ferrying her and eldest son around Universities for the last couple of weekends I reckon I should be okay.

Checked with the boss and I am free this Sunday....what's the plan Marcus?

Excellent work Keith. I have taken a step back and found out we are in Huddersfield on Sat night, so we may not be able to get away early. Also checked the BBC forecast and its due to rain heavy all day sunday. Thinking of saving my pass now...

... I'm worse than a woman. Shall we play it by 'ere?

Im gonna be on limited time sunday so may wait for monday when i have to be in hull for 9am but am free after half past, full day on the coast i hear you say?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back