• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (2 Viewers)

A pheasant this morning running across the A61 by the BMW garage at the bottom of Scotthall Road - closest to Leeds city centre?

Two Red Kites at Bardsey this morning. Yesterday one at Bardsey and three at Scarcroft. These birds are regular now along the A58.

John..what time was it when you saw them..?
i was gonna have a ride through tomorrow after my lads played football...
id be getting there about 1.00pm...
quite happy to pay in if thats the only way im gonna get to see them..

Hi KDR

I was there when it opened at 10am and saw them about 20 mins later. I was the only one there at the time so nice & quiet. I was there around 2 hours and after my initial 10 mins of brief views I only saw one fly past me about an hour later. Its all about luck and plenty of patience. There were around 5 people still looking when I left so if they are around someone will be able to help. Ask for directions when paying. The favoured area is off to the right of the castle folly where there are three tree stumps (each about 12 foot tall). I believe theyve been reported throughout the day so you will hopefully connect in the afternoon. I went last weekend but as I arrived after 2pm I just had a walk in the parkland and there was no sign of Hawfinch although I did see 5 Crossbill.

Good luck

John

do you all still remember your 1st sightings?

A newbie to Yorkshire birding, I'm getting kicks from seeing birds all you long time twitchers probably think of as common???
Do you remember your first time?? ;)
I saw a kingfisher for the first time at the sluice at fairburn last week. What a thrill. I waited and waited and searched with my bins. Got fooled by the plastic woodpecker on silver birch!!! Then there it was on a branch over river. That beautiful flash of blue in the sunlight. Hey, I even managed to point it out to a couple of people passing!

Then a few weeks ago I went on the owl walk with Darren Starky from Fairburn and saw the long eared owls. Fantastic!!

Next I volunteered to do mornings in the visitor centre there on Mondays. Thought I'd learn a lot being around bird people!!! End up mopping floors mostly, but meet very friendly people who are willing to pass on their knowledge. One of the LEOs (see I'm learning!) was found dead whilst I was there last Monday. No foul play thank goodness. Think it had starved - was incredibly light when I held it. That was amazing to be able to hold it in my hands. What colours, how soft, what brilliant eyes!

The goldfinches on the feeders at Fairburn were a first for me as were the tree sparrows.

Yesterday we went to Blacktofts Sands. Great place. Fantastic weather.
Saw my first Marsh Harrier. There were 2 possibly three soaring and diving into the reeds. Another first was a lapwing.

Im really getting into this!!! :t:

Have bought a scope and got collins e bird guide on my ipaq!

Great to read all the news from you guys.

Went out of county to try and track down some winter buntings. Set off with the missus to Donna Nook (she wanted to see some seals). Got there about one-ish. The place is huge, so we set off towards the sea (about a mile and a half of saltmatsh) and got some incredible views of hundreds of grey seals. (there we're some camoed up blokes taking pictures - wondered if it was marcus at the time). Sanderlings and turnstones we're amongst the seals.
Then set off to worlaby where last year there we're loads of SEO's. Unfortunately they were absent but there was a large flock c20-30 of brambling that settled in the trees. Distant views of 6-7 buzzards plus a possibel peregrine. Best of the day was a single female hen harrier quartering the flooded fields late on.
Also got my first grey partridge in five years.
Mark.

22/2/09

23 Curlew on the shore on the south side of flamborough head between south landing and old fall , a male Eider Duck on the sea ,

Been to wentworth gardens today managed to see 3 hawfinch, 2 of which gave decents views high up in the trees around the area with the 3 dead trees up by the castle, the other was hidden in a holly bush in the stumpery and fernery walk close by, also managed 3 treecreepers and a nuthatch. Called in at broomhill flash on the way home nothing of note apart from green sandpiper which was a year tick, overall went home very happy!

Found a common frog at Tophill today (a site rarity due to the hybrid pool/marsh frogs) and saw the remains of a Tawny owl hanging from a tree - only a wing. Presumed to have been Goshawk'd as a bird has been seen on the reserve over the last week.

Got to Wentworth myself this afternoon, and really happy to spot 2 Haw's...
the first pretty much where others have been spotted high in the tree's near the 3 dead oaks...and the other on the way back to the car near the obelisk...same as others with tree creeper and a couple of Nuthatch's...a big plus was a little owl in a field on the way home

Had a ride out round East Yorkshire today, North Cave for the green winged teal plus siskin and lesser redpoll.
Then on to Barmston red-legged partridge in the village and the glaucous gull on the beach.
Moved up to Scarborough for the Iceland gull but not there (knew I should have stopped at Filey Brigg).
Called in for the med gulls at Holbeck.
A nice trip out.
more shots on the blog.

Attachments

• 090.jpg
    090.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 59
  • 096.jpg
    096.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 059.jpg
    059.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Calling Mal Skelton

Hi Mal,

I've tried to reply to the PM you sent before going to Durham, but your PM box is full, please clear some space!
Cheers

Had a walk around Clumber Park on Sunday, not much around possibly put off by the hoards of screaming kids that seemed to be everywhere. Only saw the resident birds, which are always there or seem to be. But as we neared the end of our walk, left of the Chapel towards the Humpback Bridge. Thanking the little mites, they flushed out two male and two female Mandarin ducks, never seen them in the wild before, have I led a shelterd life not to have seen them before now.

John

Sorry up date to the Clumber Park Mandarin ducks two images that I took
John

Attachments

• ClumberParkMandarin-220209-023.jpg
    ClumberParkMandarin-220209-023.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 48
  • ClumberParkMandarin-220209-013.jpg
    ClumberParkMandarin-220209-013.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 42
How'd you get on. Had pair of Pintail y'day on O res, but the Water Rail is unpredictable. Also had a look for Ring-billed this morning, as did several others thro' the day. The bird was also seen on Monday and I'm told the observer is reliable so please keep looking. Also today did High Eske where I had 5 pinkies plus 17 Whoopers on Arram Carr. Did you manage the Bewick's as we had them late afternoon although originally well back from the road but did fly onto the nearby floods.
The Glauc was still at Barmston on Thursday.
Noticed today that Oystercatchers have returned to High Eske and Heron Lakes so spring may be on it's way!

Thanks for the information - it did prove invaluable.

Because of time constraints - we had a 11 month old in the car who gives four hour feeding windows and needed to be in Durham by 5pm - I didn't get to spend as much time at Tophill as it demands. So to be fair I can't really complain that I didn't see the Rail or the Pintail

We did manage to get up to North Frodingham and did see the Bewicks - although very distant.

So Friday was 1 of 4 lifers day ( 25% success ), I managed exactly the same ratio on Saturday at Teesside ( saw a Stonechat - but ducked out on the others we hoped for ).

On Sunday morning I posted a message on the Durham thread asking for Pintail info - was rewarded with two messages giving me the same location, within the hour I was there looking a beautiful drake Pintail.

When I got back to my parents I opened my Life List spreadsheet with a view to adding #181 Pintail ....... only to discover that I saw one at Martin Mere in 2000 !!! This is the first time I've ever forgotten about a bird I've seen, I think I got so wrapped up in seeing one I didn't do my homework properly.

Can't complain though 2 lifers in a weekend - steadily pushing towards 200

Any more news on the Ring Billed Gull ?

Mal Skelton

Checked out Welwick Saltings after the fabulous 2 ringtail Hen Harriers on Sat pm. Didn't see the harriers, but there was some quite good stuff there - details on the blog!

Had a drive to scarborough and wykeham forest today, mediterranean gulls still around holbeck carpark, and the iceland gull was showing well at the harbour, it was roosting on the roof of a building on the quayside, went up to wykeham forest after that and the shrike was still showing well too, a few siskin and crossbills overhead

Had a nice weekend on the patch, certainly made a change not being frozen to the bone (January) or getting soaked (December) :t:

Apart from the welcoming sound of early spring bird song, especially hearing Skylarks again, it was predictably quiet bird-wise but a few highlights; the 3 Egyptian Geese were again by Kelk Beck, 5 Pink-feet feeding on last years' unharvested potatoes, another Peregrine, 5 Common Buzzard, lots of Fieldfares, and a very intriguing 'dark' Barn Owl (buff underparts) hunting over Harpham Moor in daylight which had me thinking about guttata. Most likely just an odd local bird but impossible to be sure I guess.

Had a nice weekend on the patch, certainly made a change not being frozen to the bone (January) or getting soaked (December) :t:

Apart from the welcoming sound of early spring bird song, especially hearing Skylarks again, it was predictably quiet bird-wise but a few highlights; the 3 Egyptian Geese were again by Kelk Beck, 5 Pink-feet feeding on last years' unharvested potatoes, another Peregrine, 5 Common Buzzard, lots of Fieldfares, and a very intriguing 'dark' Barn Owl (buff underparts) hunting over Harpham Moor in daylight which had me thinking about guttata. Most likely just an odd local bird but impossible to be sure I guess.
Can you give some directions for the Egyptian Geese please?
Interesting news in Hull Valley today include:
Waxwings on Holderness Rd, Hull near Waldegrave St.
G.N.Diver drk Smew and drk Red-c.Pochard Welton Waters still and report of 3 Bean Geese at Crabley Creek.
Little Egret Swinemoor.
Myself, I had a look at the set-aside at Atwick and drew a blank then Hornsea for dusk where the best bird was a drk Goosander!
At the weekend had a mega at Tophill. Not the Bittern or 2 rh Smew but a Turnstone on Saturday. A much wanted site tick!
The trail seems to have gone cold on Ring-billed Gulls and have heard nowt since Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back