• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (5 Viewers)

At high tide the Brigg is cut off from the beach completely. If you have the feet of a mountain goat then you can access it from the Country Park car park by walking along to the end of Carr Naze and scrambling down the slope.

filey brigg.!!!..what is it ????.exactly where in filey is it?????? ..its years since i went to filey so no laughing at my requestions.:-O:-O:-O

hi, hoping to make a trip to filey brigg next week but high tide is shown around noon. Can anyone advise if i will be able to access it, i had it in my mind that you could get cut off at certain times! Thanks in advance.

Getting info from here I don't think 4.9m is a particularly high tide for Filey so you should be OK. As Keith says there is a path at the end of Carr Naze and on half way along. Both are difficult at the best of times but I was there last weekend and they are basically sticky mud, very awkward but passable.

Bay corner is good for waders at the moment especially if the tide has just started on its way out.

A big influx of fieldfare here at flamborough today, a count of 560, there where 80 in our garden and fields this morning, and 2 mistle thrush, had a stock dove feeding on spilt grain under our bird feeders too , the 22 brent geese are still here on the outer head and where in the field adjacent to old fall footpath this afternoon, a tundra bean goose was among the flock of greylag geese too ,

Is Tophill Low worth a visit at the moment or is it still frozen?

Thanks.

Keith.

The reservoirs have all been clear for well over a week, but some of the marshes may have some ice. [May have melted in all yesterday's rain]. Bittern showed well on Weds am, and there's a Redhead Smew around. Brambling & Willow Tit at the new feeders in D Woods. A Woodcock showed well today from Visitor's Centre. Telescope would be handy for the reservoirs.

The reservoirs have all been clear for well over a week, but some of the marshes may have some ice. [May have melted in all yesterday's rain]. Bittern showed well on Weds am, and there's a Redhead Smew around. Brambling & Willow Tit at the new feeders in D Woods. A Woodcock showed well today from Visitor's Centre. Telescope would be handy for the reservoirs.

Mike what's the Woodcock like for photography? I seem to remember from before it was through glass. Is that correct? Thanks for the info.

Is Tophill Low worth a visit at the moment or is it still frozen?

Thanks.

Keith.

Worth a visit indeed - was there for 2 hours the other day and managed Bittern, Smew and Woodcock with Grey Partridge on the approach road and Siskin in the car park. Buzzards to the south, loads of Goldeneye. And FERA were shooting on D res. No access to D woods but Willow Tit and Brambling there apparently.

Tophill Low

Birdflower & Hotspur,

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like it is well worth me visiting (got telescope)

Many thanks.

Keith

Mike what's the Woodcock like for photography? I seem to remember from before it was through glass. Is that correct? Thanks for the info.

Yes, it would be through glass. There have been others seen on site, but of course, these were probably all flushed in the woodland. It may be worth contacting the warden Richard Hampshire, as he does sometimes work Sundays.

Yes, an interesting site Keith. But to start the intro by saying the Brigg is on the South side of Filey Bay does make you wonder if everything else is accurate on the site...........?

That'll teach me to read things a little more closely next time. I didn't even register the south side thing.
HERE is the Filey Brigg Observatory site, this I have read closely;)

Flamborough

2 separate tundra bean geese present today, 1 with the flock of greylags at old fall flash, and 1 with the the flock of greylags at stainforth's flash opposite greenacres caravan camp, the brent geese are still present too, 1 male bullfinch in old fall, 1 siskin east, 13 common eider on the sea tween the lighthouse and briel nook, 1 peregrine briel nook area , 16 wigeon in off the sea, 1 woodcock on the cliff top path, 5 curlew flying round north marsh area, 6 red throated diver on the sea off the foghorn, 12 fieldfare and 3 redwing east , 1 grey wagtail at the beach end of danes dyke ravine, the big raft of common scoter still on the sea off danes dyke beach , 2 bar tailed godwit on the beach ,
TundraBeanGoose002.jpg

The 'Snow Goose' reported from Edderthorpe Flash has turned out to be a Ross's goose ..

Here's me getting all excited .....

Most snow geese in Yorkshire are classed as Cat E in the YNU report, meaning they aren't really tickable.
I think the only one that is reckoned to be a kosher bird is one that has been wintering in Norfolk each year. It tags along with pink-feet, generally seen in South-bound flight over Yorkshire towards the tail end of year and then going North in the spring.

Saw el presidente when I checked out the Pale-bellied Brents and Tundra Bean at Old Fall this afternoon. Cant imagine what he was doing this way unless it was seconds on the thrush.

Birding nightmare!

with my 2 little ones recovering from viruses and my wife on the sofa for 2 days actually quite unwell with sinusitis,and with no central heating due to backlog of oil deliveries,seemed only gentlemanly to suggest taking the kids out for the day!How about the seaside says I; great says the wife and kids.Lets try Whitby says I ! 2 hours later and after 4 pit stops for 'wee-wees' over the NY moors alone,incomprehensibly found myself with 2 kids in the village of Newholm!
Omens weren't good when the 2 yr old immediately fell flat on her face in the by now very muddy car park.Suffice to say I dipped miserably.On to sandends where more wee-wees was followed by a game of 'dodge the dog turds'(thankgod for the cleansing properties of the North sea),promptly followed by both kids getting their wellies submerged by the surf!We WANT MUMMY and we want to go home now.

So 4 hour round trip,12 oystercatchers ,a sanderling and some spuggies the total.Serves me right for being crafty in the first place!!Dooooooooohhhhhh!!

Most snow geese in Yorkshire are classed as Cat E in the YNU report, meaning they aren't really tickable.
I think the only one that is reckoned to be a kosher bird is one that has been wintering in Norfolk each year. It tags along with pink-feet, generally seen in South-bound flight over Yorkshire towards the tail end of year and then going North in the spring.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for that info. I think I may have seen that Snow Goose flying south over Brid with about 150+ pinkies. I was stood on the harbour waiting for an RSPB Skua Cruise early morning last Sept (26th, my notebook says).

Cheers

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back