• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (5 Viewers)

The Spurn website was maliciously attacked and was locked out by the provider, we have had to reset the password but this proved problematic! I think it's now sorted and I should be able to update it this week, may take me a while though as there's a months worth of sightings to do.

G

Merg

No Idea Garry; have tried to source recent pics of the bird, but as yet I have not succeeded. I resisted the temptation of the West Yorks Ring-billed Gull yesterday in the hope of seeing the Teesmouth Hoody for myself - no sign of it however!

(not sure how to do the quote thing)

Not sure if this helps either way gents. Don't know when the last shots were taken but this is from the 1st of December.

Attachments

• Merg Crop.jpg
    Merg Crop.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 89
Hello everyone, new to the forum, read all the time but never post! Will start from now.
I've started updating a blog I've just started and if anyone has a website that you'd like me to link and vice-versa then feel free to e-mail me.

The blog is found at www.qatspurn.blogspot.com
It's a bit adult at times just to warn you. It's mainly based on my birding at Spurn but trips around the county are included too.

Cheers

Q

Hello everyone, new to the forum, read all the time but never post! Will start from now.
I've started updating a blog I've just started and if anyone has a website that you'd like me to link and vice-versa then feel free to e-mail me.

The blog is found at www.qatspurn.blogspot.com
It's a bit adult at times just to warn you. It's mainly based on my birding at Spurn but trips around the county are included too.

Cheers

Q

A bit adult!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think I must try harder!

G

Flamborough

1 common crane flying east out to sea over the foghorn station 10.45 this morn, 5 woodcock and 1 hare in the old garden in the corner of our paddock, late this afternoon

Inspired by Daz's excellent shot of the RBG and the afternoon sunshine, and the presence of the bird still at 12.23, I spent a late lunch hour on site today, arriving at 2.00ish.

Was anyone on site this afty, who can confirm the bird's presence at 12.23? When I arrived I was directed to the bird that was supposed to be the same as seen earlier. I quickly id'd a Common Gull. There was time of course for it to fly off and a Common to sneak in where it had been - it was on its own sat on the water. There may also have been some stringing - just curious?

Anyway the light is superb in an afternoon if it's sunny. It would show very well on the island. Will be back for a better shot.

(not sure how to do the quote thing)

Not sure if this helps either way gents. Don't know when the last shots were taken but this is from the 1st of December.

Thanks for the image Boy Wonder. Have you seen the bird since the 1st of December? If so has the plumage changed much? There does appear to be some apparent ghosting of the breast (-side) markings of a drake; this coupled with the darker bill and bright eye could suggest a drake; though I would not have the confidence to call it as one based on the image.

Regards
Tristan

Quite a good day at Tophill Low

Attachments

• 02-03-10BitternTHL01.jpg
    02-03-10BitternTHL01.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 02-03-10BramblingTHL2.jpg
    02-03-10BramblingTHL2.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 02-03-10WoodcockTHL00.jpg
    02-03-10WoodcockTHL00.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 71
i couldnt resist having a look at your blog..........its like something you'd read in the viz ...an absolute crock of f*%&* S&%*...just my honest opinion

But Viz has a 6 figure circulation so maybe Q's blog will prove to be very popular!

Although I can't condone swearing at LBB's, Gooses maybe, and at a push pics of Gulls you've dipped on, or that Feckin Ring bill that everyone's now seen but not LBB's

G

P.S. Remember birdwatchers, instead of spending money on expensive binoculars simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.

Was anyone on site this afty, who can confirm the bird's presence at 12.23? When I arrived I was directed to the bird that was supposed to be the same as seen earlier. I quickly id'd a Common Gull. There was time of course for it to fly off and a Common to sneak in where it had been - it was on its own sat on the water. There may also have been some stringing - just curious?

On the Huddersfield website a week ago there was discussion of common gulls confusing the id, one being a pale mantled common gull, distinctive;

"having dismissed width of ring v width of eye as too esoteric to bother with, it proved surprisingly useful when taken in by lookalike commons whose mantle colour was scarily close as did the 'rear end like a giant BHG' when head hidden"

Dave Pennington (finder);
Re lookalike Commons - there was one round by the weir on Weds. It had an easily visible iris and a ring not that much narrower than the R-b's but luckily this one had obviously darker uppers. Still caused a bit of doubt to creep in about the R-b tho.

I went down yesterday morning, think I got taken in. Thought I'd found the bird and started snapping away until I realised it had a dark eye. Very distinctive bill ring and fairly pale mantle though. Mental note; don't just check a couple of features.

Last edited:
A sign of the times with 5 Buzzards yesterday afternoon and another 3 over my house lunchtime today!At least some birds are doing well.Also,Green Sandpiper at local fish ponds yesterday,first wintering bird has on local p[atch(presumably too early for spring migrant).

Flamborough

2 stock dove feeding on spilt grain under our bird feeders first thing this morning, 1 little owl in the trees at the side of the piggery on lighthouse road , 1 barn owl with prey on the verge next to north dykes after dinner,

Ring billed gull

No reports today, positive or negative. Anyone been?

I was at Sands Lane between 12.30 and 2.00, hoping for a photograph but no joy. It had been there early doors according to one chap.

Found a merlin on Pontefract racecourse this morning which was a real buzz, and not a bird I was expecting to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back