• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (7 Viewers)

You might want to remove the location from the request if you get my drift...

Don't quite get your driff, I got the location for the Shrike from this forum anyway, and thought that was part what this forum was about, pointing people in the direction of where to find birds. The Larks were something else I saw that day.

Don't quite get your driff, I got the location for the Shrike from this forum anyway, and thought that was part what this forum was about, pointing people in the direction of where to find birds. The Larks were something else I saw that day.

The driff (sic) is that Woodlark is a schedule 1 breeding bird and locations shouldn't be disclosed during the breeding season

Thanks for the pm's Owen and Mike,
I now know wood lark exist, not saying where I saw them this morning but at last I've plugged that huge gap in my list.

Just checked and the wood lark was my 255th species in county.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pm's Owen and Mike,
I now know wood lark exist, not saying where I saw them this morning but at last I've plugged that huge gap in my list.

Just checked and the wood lark was my 255th species in county.

You better tell Yorkshire birding as they still have you on c229.

Still just using auto, not RAW, and also hand held. Reasonably pleased but hopefully better to come when I've sussed it.

Pre/Post processing apart Steve, I think the image sharpness is there especially the GGull and as you say would improve with use of a pod or combination of settings to give faster S\speed. I've been mulling this lens over for quite a while and I'm impressed.................. :t:

Last edited:
Reliable friend of mine had 12+ Wheatears at Winterset yesterday. Here's a couple he sent me. Looks like a Mr 'n Mrs...agreed.....? :t:

Attachments

• Wheatear 1.jpg
    Wheatear 1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Wheatear 2.jpg
    Wheatear 2.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Went for the GGS today at skipwith, very pleased it lingered this week. 3 species of hirundine at weldrake were my 1st of the year along with 2 little ringed plover.

Bits and bobs

a few pics from last week;
brambling x4 garden today
barn owl north duff
pink foot at small pond between Hessay/Long Marston
treecreeper Redhouse.

fisrt 3 sand martins back redhouse today

GGS reported at Strensall common today, interesting other seen skipwith today

Attachments

• brambling3.jpg
    brambling3.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 75
  • barnowl4.jpg
    barnowl4.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 72
  • PINKFEET3.jpg
    PINKFEET3.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 82
  • treecreeper4.jpg
    treecreeper4.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 78
Woke up feeling miles better than of late, weather looked nice so over breakfast I made an impulse decision to make a trip to Hatfield. Caught up with the RNG early doors and a nice male adder at 10 acre lake. Went round t'other side and quickly found a pair of courting BNG's, stuck in the hide for a couple of hours as they toyed with the idea of approaching the hide, always stayed frustratingly out of range for a decent snap. Got fed up and went for a walk, lots of year ticks, WW, Blackcap, sand martin, Peacock and Brimstone butterflies.

Went back to the hide and the grebes were making their way to the hide, got some good shots but as they came together 10ft in front of the hide the door flew open, in came a woman with two kids, hatch opened , heads stuck out of the window "quack, quack duckies!" Aargh! She knew they were BNG's and that I was trying to photograph them but the birds moved away. Fortunately they soon left and the BNG's went past on their way to somewhere they were happier to hang around. After another wait they came back but this was shortlived as another group came in and started feeding the swans, no chance of a return. Anyone with connections to Hatfield? Please get the hide repositioned and get a duck feeding point somewhere.

Interesting observation (I think) was the BNG's catching flies, makes sense but didn't know they did that.

Noticed that James, had a quick look at the list earlier. Checking through my life list and it looks like it was mid 2008 when I sent the original list in to Yorkshire Birding.
I suppose spending a bit of time at Spurn in May might help improve the list.

Very nice walk around Hatfield Moor this morning - two BNG within feet of Boston Hide and RNG on Ten Acre Lake. Good numbers of blackcap and willow warbler plus a few woodlark singing and displaying. Chiffchaff seem to be on every other bush!

Any chance of a pm on the location of the Woodlarks on Hatfield Moor, popping back tomorrow and would love to meet up with them.
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back