• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (5 Viewers)

Before I get half of you snapping at me I better explain. I don't have a problem with people riding bicycles as such but what gets annoying is that I spend a lot of my time walking the public footpaths of this county (Get it 'FOOT' and 'PATH', the clue is in the spelling, I know the law so don't argue without checking). While walking these paths I am constantly having to dodge out of the way, or step off the path because a group of anything up to half a dozen grown men (and I mean grown men not kids) are charging along the path as fast as they can. Are they the same grown men who constantly ride on the pavement, cut through red lights or go the wrong way up one way streets I wonder. I understand and accept there are many responsible cyclists in the world and for that god bless them. However there is a large number of ignorant cyclists who think the laws of the land don't apply to them.
There are many old footpaths in the dales that are now practically unusable because they are so rutted by cycles, and because the cyclists don't like riding over these ruts any more that I like stumbling over them, they ride beside the path which has the effect of making it wider. Muddy patches are just ridden straight through which has a derogatory effect on the path.
I wonder if these riders are trying to recapture something of their youth and in some cxases a youth they never had.

Can anyone suggest places around South Leeds Sports Stadium where I could while away a couple of hours birdwatching next Thursday. Taking a group of pupils from a school in Halifax there for an event and rather than sit around waiting for them.
Regards
John

Can anyone suggest places around South Leeds Sports Stadium where I could while away a couple of hours birdwatching next Thursday. Taking a group of pupils from a school in Halifax there for an event and rather than sit around waiting for them.
Regards
John

No idea where that is John but you could do a lot worse than popping down to the hide at Swilly.

Er indoors fancied going to see the Puffins at Bempton yesterday and who was I to argue with when it involved a day at the coast - BIRDING! The north wind made your eyes stream at Bempton but it provided fantastic close view of Puffins, Gannets etc at very close quarters hovering around like harrier jump jets! Clearly I suggested a quick visit to S Landing for the 'insurance bird' before finsishing off at Danes Dyke where a Cuckoo was the highlight. Missed out on the Wryneck at Flamboro but that was my own fault, been a long time since Ive seen one too. Nevermind, had a good day anyway.

A good couple of days. Went over for the insurance flycatcher yesterday - gave pretty good views. I had decided to wait for news as I thought the cooler temperatures and clear night might see it off.

Also present was Spot. Fly, Lesser Whitethroat, GSW, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Treecreeper, Bullfinch, Linnet, Yellowhammer, Cuckoo, (heard). A Tawny Owl was peeping out of a nest hole, and a Short-eared was hunting the hillside above South Landing.

An extra bonus was a fox that spooked a Woodcock which sat out on the hillside in full view.

I concentrated on Gannets at Bempton and got some nice shots as they hung in the wind - as John says like Harrier Jumpjets.

I got the female Ring Ouzel in the gorse field by the lighthouse in the afternoon, but couldn't be bothered to go back for the Wryneck when news broke as I was enjoying discussing black and white flycatchers with Andrew Lassey - bit one-sided input though!

Today I wasn't going to bother but with a bit of sun at last, I had a quick trip down to Potteric. Loads of Blackcap, Willow Tit, and best of all - finally - after many hours at various sites - Cetti's on the Yorkshire listB :)

The bird working up and down the path by the Decoy Marsh Hide, regularly singing and being glimpsed occasionally.

Glad you had a good weekend Steve. Can't get too excited about a putative flycatcher that can only be identified by dna. But I am gripped that you scored the Cetti's's. Would be a Yorkshire tick

Glad you had a good weekend Steve. Can't get too excited about a putative flycatcher that can only be identified by dna. But I am gripped that you scored the Cetti's's. Would be a Yorkshire tick

Yes seen plenty in my time but never in Yorks. Hopefully they are still increasing and moving north despite the winter before last being a block. I love the song. A pig to see though.

Timing seems to be the key. The British Cetti's that I've seen are very showy early doors and disappear completely. I'm minded of a trip many years ago. Stodmarsh, for Glossy Ibis. Rocked up at dawn. Cetti's were blasting their song all over. About 10 or 11ish they all shut up. Had to wait until dusk for the Glossies to come in to roost. I was mildly diverted by a repetitive mechanical sound. Convinced it might be a gropper I staked it out only to discover the repetitive 'song' was made by a water pump. How I laughed. Not.

Last edited:
Wryneck

Showing very well this evening in the gorse field next to Flamborough Lighthouse

Wryneck006edited.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back