• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (12 Viewers)

No show from 15.15 - 16.00...:eek!:
................. stood with 2 other guys who'd had a report from RBA, they came from Blacktofts on the way home to Chesterfield. One of them rang in to RBA and reported "no show"...... They'd had 6 Spotshank...
Disappointing... I've seen a good few before but none in summer plumage.... it would have been nice...;) But seeing a Lesser Whitethroat on way back to car was nice...

Last edited:
Pleasant evening at Fairburn and Swilly yesterday. Pair of Spoonbill at Lin Dike with at least 5 little egret too. Snipe, Green woodpecker and an assortment of warblers there as well.

Barn owl already out at 8.30pm at swilly hauling a sizeable rodent while being harassed by a magpie.

Heading up for Le Tour in Ilkley next weekend. Just wondered if any of the locals could mark my card a couple of could spots to visit either on way or around the town

Neil, Bolton Abbey is just up the road and if you get their early enough there is free parking by the river. A bit late in the season but there is a great range of species such as Pied Fly, Wood Warbler and Redstart plus the usual riverine birds. A circular route from the spot marked might take 3 hours.

Barden Moor just down the road is worth exploring for upland species. There's a small parking area just next to a track leading on to the moor.

Another option might be a visit to Old Moor RSPB near Barnsley en route. There's been a Glossy Ibis hanging around for ages.

Last edited:
Heading up for Le Tour in Ilkley next weekend. Just wondered if any of the locals could mark my card a couple of could spots to visit either on way or around the town

Hope you're up before 06.00hrs Sat morn Neil.... the A65 ( the main road thro' Ilkley ) and other roads that feed off/on from it are closed from then until late afternoon.......:t:
Joe

Last edited:
Trouble is the area is pretty much in lockdown for a large part of the weekend but a walk on the moor is usually interesting as is the riverside.

As Joe says, pretty much the whole area is shut to traffic. Le Tour comes back through Addingham on Sunday, so most of the roads up into the Dales are no-go.

Possibly the easiest access will be up on to Ilkley Moor from the Cow & Calf rocks. Good mix of moorland species up there.

Richard

Thanks for all your replies. We are heading up early on Friday to get ahead of the traffic. I was hoping of getting a seeing a Short-eared Owl on the Moor as not seen one this year.

Would you get Wood Lark at any of those sites mentioned ?

Thanks again.

Sadly no woodlarks at any of the sites mentioned. They'll be a bit difficult to get now as they will have gone silent. Not heard of any being seen at Skipwith Common this year, which is probably the closest site to Skipton.
Thanks for all your replies. We are heading up early on Friday to get ahead of the traffic. I was hoping of getting a seeing a Short-eared Owl on the Moor as not seen one this year.

Would you get Wood Lark at any of those sites mentioned ?

Thanks again.

Sadly no woodlarks at any of the sites mentioned. They'll be a bit difficult to get now as they will have gone silent. Not heard of any being seen at Skipwith Common this year, which is probably the closest site to Skipton.

They were still singing a fortnight ago, but I'm going to my woodlark site again at the weekend, so I'll know better then

There were a couple of singing birds when I visited in May, a damp and humid morning (whether that has any effect on their habits) which was good as last year I only heard one sing briefly and didn't actually see the bird.

3 from Flamborough Head today

Nothing rare but all the same a nice afternoon out!

Attachments

• yellowwagtai22.jpg
    yellowwagtai22.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Linnet1.jpg
    Linnet1.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 73
  • roedeer8.jpg
    roedeer8.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 59

Users who are viewing this thread

Back