• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (4 Viewers)

Trip to the higher reaches of North Yorkshire for Red ad Black Grouse. Never had so many black's, must have seen going on for 30.

Attachments

• gr5.jpg
    gr5.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 74
  • blk4.jpg
    blk4.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 68
I hope the Black Grouse have had a good year and hope they have better years ahead. I have never seen one yet. Never seen a Surf Scoter too. Great photos!

I have been looking at Birdguides to see if any Rough Legged Buzzards near York but could not seen any reported for the region. I am travelling from East Lancs - are there any Rough Legs between East Lancs and York? I hope to see one this next 2 months but time is running out.

I passed the new West Yorks Police dept this aft.. ( it's between North Featherstone and Normanton ). ... there's a pond opposite it which regularly hosts 50+ Grey lag and loads of gulls, but nowt really special it would seem........
.................... But this aft. there were 5 lads with scopes/binos etc. So does anyone know owt, if owts been seen that would cause this "mini-twitch" there....??
I'm curious 'cos it's one of my local patches....?

Cheers Joe

Last edited:
I passed the new West Yorks Police dept this aft.. ( it's between North Featherstone and Normanton ). ... there's a pond opposite it which regularly hosts 50+ Grey lag and loads of gulls, but nowt really special it would seem........
.................... But this aft. there were 5 lads with scopes/binos etc. So does anyone know owt, if owts been seen that would cause this "mini-twitch" there....??
I'm curious 'cos it's one of my local patches....?

Cheers Joe

Hi Joe

There was a drake American Wigeon there, reported till at least early afternoon, don't know if still there at dusk.

John

Ldv

Anybody who knows the Geoff Smith hide at the North duff carrs,
this might explain why the birds were absent at 10.30 this morning!!

the hide is at the point of the arrow!
also had a peregrine and a marsh harrier almost working together to find food.

more here http://zingsldv.blogspot.co.uk/

Attachments

• gs1A.jpg
    gs1A.jpg
    631.7 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Ring Billed Gull reported from Hull today 2:30 at Princes Quay. Anyone any further details, ie photos, who found it etc? Will be having a scout around for it tomorrow so any further gen might help.

Himalaya - we saw a Rough Legged Buzzard yesterday at YWT Potteric Carr. We were in the Decoy lake Hide around 11.15am. The bird, hassled by a Crow, settled for over ten minutes on a small tree close enough to get a good ID.

If I recall correctly, Birduides had occasional sightings through December and January through Yorkshire moors, down vale of York towards Rotheram and Doncaster.

That is good. The South Yorkshire birds appear to move around a lot. They do not stay put. I am not sure if this is one of the trio which as been seen around Broomshead and which maybe the same trio sighted in Greater Manchester a few months back. Luckily, at least one is in the Greater Manchester area again and hopefully I will have a chance to see it tomorrow as I should be working in that region.

On my drive to York managed to get 2 Red Kites, a bird I do not think I have seen since 2011.

Himalaya - we saw a Rough Legged Buzzard yesterday at YWT Potteric Carr. We were in the Decoy lake Hide around 11.15am. The bird, hassled by a Crow, settled for over ten minutes on a small tree close enough to get a good ID.

If I recall correctly, Birduides had occasional sightings through December and January through Yorkshire moors, down vale of York towards Rotheram and Doncaster.

Trip to the higher reaches of North Yorkshire for Red ad Black Grouse. Never had so many black's, must have seen going on for 30.

Hi Geoff I live in Mbro and spend many months on the North Yorkshire Moors, volunteering for the BTO NRS, I think you are to this area and I've never seen a Black grouse up there is BG up there ever (over 25ys), would love to see one has there not on my list yet, even though I've spent countless times on the Teesdale Moors and the Eastern moors of Scotland (Perthshire), would love to see a lec, if its possible could you PM me the location please

Thanks

Damian

Hi Geoff I live in Mbro and spend many months on the North Yorkshire Moors, volunteering for the BTO NRS, I think you are to this area and I've never seen a Black grouse up there is BG up there ever (over 25ys), would love to see one has there not on my list yet, even though I've spent countless times on the Teesdale Moors and the Eastern moors of Scotland (Perthshire), would love to see a lec, if its possible could you PM me the location please

Thanks

Damian

Sorry half asleep. Meant to say "I think you are referring to this area"

Bed is needed :)

Reports of a drake American wigeon at swillington Ings today on the main lake but I'm not sure where it's best viewed from.

Does anyone know?

From what I gather you're best off viewing from the southern-ish side of the lake near the main spit and scanning the opposite shore to the north. I haven't been to see it but looking at the SIBG website and the photos that's the impression I get.

Boro Birder, I assume Geoff was referring to the BK at Shaw Farm in the far reaches of Arkengarthdale near The Stang. It sounds like the numbers have increased considerably since I was last there 5 years ago. Might be worth another visit.

Hiya Dave. Have you reported this sighting? Nothing on the Potteric website (where it would be a very rare occurrence; http://www.ywt.org.uk/blog/potteric/2015/02/01/potteric-carr-sightings-february-2015) and no reported sightings in either the Doncaster (e.g. http://www.doncasterbirding.co.uk/wordpress) or Rotherham areas so far this year (any sightings in the Rotherham area would be truly exceptional; I checked published reports and can find only one record 1993-2011; Rother Valley CP December 1999, and historical records to 1985; 1 record Treeton 1961)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back