• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (15 Viewers)

Cali Gull, Three-toed 'Pecker, V. Thrush, and Bohemian Waxwing added since last. Year birds quickly being racked up. Harli Duck and the crossbills evade me still, must be doing something wrong......Saw a big Golden Eagle at the Icefields yesterday! It's gotta be great to be able to fly over the Rockies! See you guys later!

Oh, I forgot. T. Solitaire and Pine Sisken too, plus I realized I had left balck Swift off. Total is now 322. Currently, I am in British Columbia, in the Rockies. It's looking like getting back in mid-August (just enough time till school starts to chill w/ friends and girlfriend). The birding just keeps getting better!!

Musings of me: will it be less expensive to buy Deathly Hallows in Canada or the US?

Last edited:
I can't....shame. I seriously want to see how it wraps up. (sorry everyone else, temporary off-topic jaunt) It would be awesome to be an Animagus! (I'd want to be a Raven or Eagle (goldie))

lets see, its pretty easy answer if you think about it! ;)

for one, i need to read it when it comes out
for two, my sister needs to read it when it comes out
for 3, my mom needs to read it when it comes out
we dont need a fourth; my dad aint to crazy about HP

We also ordered the real version (the one that JK rowling acutally wrote, or the british version) from europe

hey just givin a heads up

wiktoria, when you go to AZ, and extremely rare mexican bird, the Crescent-chested Warbler. Just if you could to see it. Its in Portal, AZ. post more info if youre interested

Well, since all the other YB's are making quizzes, I figured I'd post mine.

From the AZ/NM listserv:

"Hi Folks:
Dave Jasper (guiding Camp Chiricahua) just called and asked to pass on that they had just seen a (rather dingy, ? female) Crescent-chested Warbler this morning (15 July), and this comes after a report they had heard from some British bird watchers of a Crescent-chested Warbler feeding a juvenile
yesterday. The location is on the "Trans Mountain" road from Cave Creek,
SWRS, etc. to Onion Saddle, at East Turkey Creek/the junction of the road
down to Paradise. Dave said that they had seen it about 100m down the road toward Paradise, whereas the report from yesterday was right were the road to Onion Saddle crosses the creek."

My Quiz Question: Am I going to chase this bird this weekend?

Not a hard one, but I'll give you guys some time to think. ;)

but i am going to see it!!!!! this is how it s gonna work:

-get harry potter at midnight party ;)
-next day go to ruidoso
-dad comes to ruidoso later
-dad drives me to AZ
-spend night in portal
-bird and twitch like (*)(*(^$$%@# heck
-spend night in portal again
-drive to ruidoso
-spend nite in ruidoso
-drive to colorado
-bird like (*^^$&%#&*$ heck
-go back to ruidoso in week
-drive to roswell and bitter lake NWR for day
-bird like *%^%# heck there
-drive back to ruidoso
-stay few more days in ruidoso
-sleep and be very cranky on way back to texas, but very satisfied at getting a nice twitch and plenty of lifers

Cool. Where in AZ?

I'm back in Tucson, leaving for NM tomorrow. San Diego was cool, I got Allen's Hummingbird and Pacific-Slope Flycatcher. The hummers were everywhere in the neighborhood where I was staying. There were also good numbers of Costa's and Anna's. I also got many good California birds that weren't lifers, but are always cool to see. These included an elegans Red-shouldered Hawk, Nuttal's Woodpecker, Wrentit, and California Towhee. I get over to CA fairly regularly, so I made up a list of my next target landbirds:

Mountian Quail
White-headed Woodpecker
Island Scrub-Jay
Le Conte's Thrasher
Bell's Sparrow
Tricolored Blackbird
Purple Finch

I missed California Gnatcatcher, but I've seen them before (not ABA though) so it wasn't a big deal. Thanks for the help Neil. (I hope you had an "interesting" trip today ;) )

I just found out that I'm leaving in a week for four days of backpacking in the Grand Tetons. After skimming a few checklists, it looks like there's about ten potential lifers up there, and I should be able to see at least four or five.

In the meantime I'm trying to get arrange a trip to Guadeloupe Canyon, which starts in Arizona, ends in New Mexico, and is a stone's throw away from the Mexican border.

Sorry i'm so out of the loop guys...

Bell's Sparrow? I'm going to research this...

Well since SP is dying to hear what I saw in Vermont at the wedding, here are the ones I remember.

I believe I finally broke my streak of getting at least one new-for-year per trip. I may or may not have had one though... I could've sworn right before the reception there was a Caspian Tern that flew by, but when it returned, it flew straight away from me until it disappeared. I do remember seeing a big heavy beak on that bird so much more elegant than the only other Larids around (Ring-billed). But I'm not satisfied!

Other things were, on the way up, my second Eastern Meadowlark sitting on a fencepost from the car, a million kestrels in Vermont (two hunting in their usual manner), and on the way home, my farthest-north ever and only my second for New York state Black Vulture.

Little else unfortunately.A phoebe, a redstart, orioles, kingbirds, waxwings, the like.

Oh and for the Animagus thing, I'd be something that spends plenty of time doing what birds do best - flying. Frigatebird perhaps? Ooh but Northern Hawk Owls are so sweet. Hmmmm....

Unfortunately, the Animagus form chooses you (and you guys think you know Harry Potter). Its your personality! Way I see it, when you love birds so much, it IS part of your being! But which bird? Am I eagle-like enough? Feedback on my species!

Yesterday I went to the Salton Sea... awesome spot! Got two lifers - Wood Stork and Yellow-footed Gull. There were THOUSANDS of birds there - terns, shorebirds, gulls, pelicans, etc. The volume of birds was overwhelming. Other neat stuff I saw included Burrowing Owls, Red-necked and Wilson's Phalaropes, Clark's Grebe, Gambel's Quail, Common Ground-Dove, Black Skimmer, etc... on the way back we got caught in some awesome traffic as well....:storm:

neil

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back