• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young eruasian golden oriole (1 Viewer)

How does young eurasian golden oriole sound like? I can't find this song, can someone send it?
Sorry, I am not sure what you mean. There a two types of sounds from Golden Oriole; the song and the call.

The song is a fluty whistle, but is not given by young birds.

The call is a jay like - raucous call. (There is probably a begging call from the young but not sure what it is) This is given by all age groups and sexes and I guess this is what you mean?

The Collins Bird app has the call, and there a plenty of examples on www.xeno-canto.org ( Eurasian Golden Oriole (Oriolus oriolus) :: xeno-canto)

Sorry, I am not sure what you mean. There a two types of sounds from Golden Oriole; the song and the call.

The song is a fluty whistle, but is not given by young birds.

The call is a jay like - raucous call. (There is probably a begging call from the young but not sure what it is) This is given by all age groups and sexes and I guess this is what you mean?

The Collins Bird app has the call, and there a plenty of examples on www.xeno-canto.org ( Eurasian Golden Oriole (Oriolus oriolus) :: xeno-canto)
I mean sth like this, it's my own recording, but I can't find it on the internet

Attachments

• Młoda-Wilga.mp3
    272.9 KB
I think I know what you mean (i.e., not fully crystallised song). Have a look at: Search Tips :: xeno-canto, and check out: Eurasian Golden Oriole (Oriolus oriolus) :: xeno-canto, Eurasian Golden Oriole (Oriolus oriolus) :: xeno-canto and Eurasian Golden Oriole (Oriolus oriolus) :: xeno-canto. I think it's much harder to find in Macaulay Library, but try Eurasian Golden Oriole - Oriolus oriolus - Media Search - Macaulay Library and eBird and maybe even Eurasian Golden Oriole - Oriolus oriolus - Media Search - Macaulay Library and eBird. You will have to manually filter those results, though.

The terminology is varied and still in flux with names such as juvenile song (= Jugendgesang), subsong (= Subsong), autumn(al) song (= Herbstgesang)--from Die Stimmen der Vögel Europas)--or plastic song, used for different or broadly similar phenomena. Plastic song is further divided by some into stages of development: early plastic song, plastic song, late plastic song (Nature's Music). Plastic song should not to be confused with what could be known under different names as whisper song/extended song/warbling song/courtship song: Subsong vs. Whisper Song – Earbirding. Species such as Redwing or Siskin than subsing together could be also searched for using the phrase 'subsong chorus'.

Here's a quick cheat sheet of what seem to be very broadly agreed upon:
Subsongquiet, continuous, varied sounds and mimicryjuvenile/immature
Plastic songloud, similar to fully developed songimmature
Some people said that the type of song adult birds sing in autumn and winter is subsong, but some sources state it's plastic song: Recurrent development of song idiosyncrasy without auditory inputs in the canary, an open-ended vocal learner - Scientific Reports. Then, there are also fully crystallised aberrant songs: Part 7: Magnus Robb and ‘The Blackcaps’ - The Sound Approach. (I think it would be the best to try to visually age the singing bird when possible.)

Some useful links:

I was able to write it up thanks to those who answered in Fieldfare: subsong or plastic song (XC776826) :: topic 54044 :: xeno-canto or answered to my requests for contact via XC's private messages, and--in some cases--a bit of my own research.

EDIT: It's hard (for me) to be sure which type your song would be--have you managed to age the bird more precisely?

Attachments

• 15080_Oriolus_oriolus_E.pdf
    7.1 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I have made this point before and cannot emphasize it strongly enough, viz. that it's always better, and often crucial, to SEE the source of the sound you are recording rather than to guess at what is producing it and to think that you can tell what is producing it from the sound alone.
If your recording above is indeed from a golden oriole which you were watching, you need to give the circumstances including the location, date, and a description of the bird's plumage and how you aged it.
Your recording doesn't sound anything like a golden oriole song, so I assume it's either not a golden oriole or not its song.

From Stimmen der Vögel Europa: Gesänge und Rufe von über 400 Vogelarten in mehr als 2000 Sonogramen, H.-H. Bergmann/H.-W. Helb (1982):
[Pirol, Oriolus oriolus:] Außerdem tritt ein [V]erhalten schwätzender und vielgestaltiger Subsong auf, wenn die Handlungsbereitschaft zum Vollgesang nicht hoch genug ist.

[Oriole, Oriolus oriolus:] Besides, a babbling and varied subsong occurs until the song crystallises.

Not much new information after all.

The OP call is indeed uttered by Golden Orioles. It always reminds me of Bar-tailed Godwit flight calls. It is more often heard in late summer by family parties but also, though much rarer, in spring. So it seems clear to me that not only 1cy but also adult birds utter it. To me it seems to be some contact call... Compare with:

XC819823 Eurasian Golden Oriole (Oriolus oriolus)

Last edited:
Well, was I lazy; didn't read the whole page. From the same source:
Im Flug ein spechtartig scharfes 》jik-jik《 oder》uick-uick《. Dieser Ruf ist auch typisch für selbständige Jungvögel, die sich noch im Familienverband aufhalten.
In flight a sharp woodpeckerlike》yik-yik《 or 》uick-uick《. This call is also characteristic of independent young still remaining in family groups.
(which is pretty much the same as CARERY's answer above with the exception of the parts in bold)

My understanding is that 'independent young' (= 'selbständige Jungvögel') means 'immatures' (either 1cy or 2cy) rather than 'juveniles' (though that should be murky)?

The German 'Jungvögel' is pretty much the same as 'juveniles' in English. How it is used depends on the contex I guess. In smaller birds I would use it for 1cy birds before the first moult. After that they are immatures - if distinguishable from adults at all... But I'm afraid there is no sharp definition, or is there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back