• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your latest Michigan bird (1 Viewer)

The Lion Cub

Mine is a Blue-winged Warbler, seen Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:30 am, St. Clair County. No picture was taken, sadly it was still too dark. It was with a Yellow Warbler. Other notable birds for me during that outing were Rose-breasted Grosbeaks and Indigo Buntings.

What about you?

Ohh, it's been a long time since I saw a new bird in Michigan, since I've been out-of-state the past few summers... hmmm...

Oh, now I remember, Bay-breasted Warbler, last spring in Calhoun County

I remember when I first saw blue-wings in Ohio, I was working. I come to the woods, and they were all over the place in migration singing! Beeeeez Buuuuuuzz!

Last new bird for Michigan was the Neotropic Cormorant last year. Hoping for a new one any time now but I enjoyed seeing a Nighthawk last evening as they are getting quite scarce now.

Last new bird for Michigan was the Neotropic Cormorant last year. Hoping for a new one any time now but I enjoyed seeing a Nighthawk last evening as they are getting quite scarce now.

Wow! I got that bird on my lifelist, but I cheated and saw it on the Texas Gulf Coast 8-P

Yesterday I saw a Swamp Sparrow at Fort Gratiot County Park, which is on the Southern-ish shore of Lake Huron. Time was probably around 3:30 pm. I was looking for warblers, but since I had no binoculars or camera or anything, I had little hope of IDing and warblers I saw. I did see some, but they always flew in small flocks aways above the treetops, so I will have to go back better prepared at a better time of day! Down at the beach there I only saw a couple of Ring-billed Gulls.

I live Swamp Sparrows, they are like wetland chippies with there song, heh

Are the warblers coming through already? I never really pay attention to fall migration much, I need to get out my warblers books and catch up on it.

I live Swamp Sparrows, they are like wetland chippies with there song, heh

Are the warblers coming through already? I never really pay attention to fall migration much, I need to get out my warblers books and catch up on it.

Yep, I have noticed small flocks, though too high up to ID. The only lifer I've snagged so far is, of course, Blue-winged.

yeah, I tried to find warblers today... I had my mp3 and a speaker too trying to lure something in with chickadee scolds. Had a couple of catbirds, a cardinal, then a wood-pewee, no warblers.

yeah, I tried to find warblers today... I had my mp3 and a speaker too trying to lure something in with chickadee scolds. Had a couple of catbirds, a cardinal, then a wood-pewee, no warblers.

Well, keep it up, and let me know if you find anything, and so will I!

Well, I don't suppose this counts... last night I had a dream that I heard a White-eyed Vireo in Michigan!!! I have seen it in Florida but it would be a new bird for Michigan. But alas, it was only a dream.

I saw an African Hammerkop in a dream last night, but it was colored all wrong, nope doesn't count. I would like to see white-eyed vireo in Michigan too, I used to encounter them in central Ohio.

I went to our state park to look for warblers, and there were plenty of chickadees... I got a wood-pewee too, but alas... no warblers.

Today at football practice we were all standing around waiting for the coach when an odd-looking brown bird flew over the field. "Common Nighthawk!!!" I cried. And it was! A year bird and a nice sighting for me. Well most of my friends were saying, "a WHAT?", but luckily one of my friends did a report on Nighthawks last year, and he is by no means a birder, so it was cool for him to see his science project bird in the wild and cool for me to get a year bird.

nighthawk migration

Great, Nighthawks are moving, saw about 6-7 near Manistee State Park yesterday, should be more downstate. I used to see 2-3 hundred at a time in late August/early September near Lansing.

Look for warblers to peak in mid September.

Great, Nighthawks are moving, saw about 6-7 near Manistee State Park yesterday, should be more downstate. I used to see 2-3 hundred at a time in late August/early September near Lansing.

Look for warblers to peak in mid September.

That's coming up, I'll have to plan an outing.

Saw maybe 5-10 nighthawks over the yard last night and even caught a picture! They were quite a treat, they are like a combination of a hawk, gull and chimney swift.

Red-throated Loon

After the storm of the century last week I thought I'd check the Lake Michigan harbor at Manistee to see if any siberian vagrants blew in. No such luck but did see a Red-throated Loon and a late Lapland Longspur in with a flock of Snow Buntings.

No Glaucous Gull this time, last seen there last weekend.

Was fortunate to see the Arctic Tern at Three Oaks and the Western Grebe at Benton Harbor after Thanksgiving but missed the Ancient Murrelet.

After the storm of the century last week I thought I'd check the Lake Michigan harbor at Manistee to see if any siberian vagrants blew in. No such luck but did see a Red-throated Loon and a late Lapland Longspur in with a flock of Snow Buntings.

No Glaucous Gull this time, last seen there last weekend.

Was fortunate to see the Arctic Tern at Three Oaks and the Western Grebe at Benton Harbor after Thanksgiving but missed the Ancient Murrelet.

Awesome:t: I've never seen any of those!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back