• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your opinions on a possible Gadwall X Mallard, eastern Pennsylvania, Oct. 26 (1 Viewer)

birdmeister

United States
Hello all,

I saw a duck at Green Lane Reservoir back in late October that struck me as odd. It was definitely mostly Gadwall, but a few features suggested Mallard hybridization to me. First, it had a striking yellow-buff head that contrasted sharply with a dark gray (sometimes green) crown, more so than any other of the 60+ Gadwalls present, male or female. In photos, the bird shows a hint of a pale neck collar. The last feature is that I think it had deep orange legs, unlike Gadwall's yellow-orange legs.

However, it did not show certain features of a classic Gadwall X Mallard, including:

pale on bill
different head shape
dark brown chest
any Mallard features on rest of body and/or tail

I have gotten a few expert opinions on this, and they ranged from "not enough to say either way" to "looks good for a hybrid", even "more likely hybrid than not, possibly a 2nd generation".

What are your thoughts on this? Likely a hybrid, or just a male Gadwall that's slightly off?

I am leaning towards some degree of a hybrid, especially considering that I could fairly quickly pick it out from the many Gadwalls it was with.

I'm attaching ten photos, all "phone-scoped" and not good quality.

Attachments

• GadwallMystery(resized).jpg
    GadwallMystery(resized).jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 45
  • GadwallMystery1(resized).jpg
    GadwallMystery1(resized).jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 24
  • GadwallMystery2(resized).jpg
    GadwallMystery2(resized).jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 37
  • GadwallMystery3(resized).jpg
    GadwallMystery3(resized).jpg
    533.4 KB · Views: 24
  • GadwallMystery4(resized).jpg
    GadwallMystery4(resized).jpg
    551.5 KB · Views: 28
Here are the rest of the photos.

Attachments

• GadwallMystery5(resized).jpg
    GadwallMystery5(resized).jpg
    581.6 KB · Views: 10
  • GadwallMystery6(resized).jpg
    GadwallMystery6(resized).jpg
    601.3 KB · Views: 18
  • GadwallMystery7(resized).jpg
    GadwallMystery7(resized).jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 20
  • GadwallMystery8(resized).jpg
    GadwallMystery8(resized).jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 8
  • GadwallMystery9(resized).jpg
    GadwallMystery9(resized).jpg
    461 KB · Views: 18
Yes, I agree with fugl

Otherwise normal , standard Gadwall can have a twotoned head pattern such as your bird, birdmeister.

wether this occasional head pattern is the result of hybridisation many generations back in the past or wether this is a mutation in otherwise pure gadwalls, can not be solved at the moment I think.

What is clear about your bird and others, similar ones : they can not be first generation hybrids as the only unusual trait is the head pattern. In a first generation hybrid there should be several other points not in accordance with pure gadwall.

What is interesting though: these capped gadwalls seem to occur in higher frequency in North America than in Europe , according to pictures in the web.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back